Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View To Thine Own Self Be True
6 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 5:05PM #11
Eudaimonist
[QUOTE=HERKETTE;1022634]Simply said, the truth, the purity of ourselves, resides in our souls where we navigate which direction we travel.  When you are connected by a deep faith and integrity, you will stay true to yourself.  You'll know, too, because when you are true to yourself and how you respond to the world in any given situation, you feel good.  When you are not true to yourself and respond in a way that is 'bent' or aligned in a way to serve a purpose outside of yourself, you'll feel it.  You won't feel satisfied.[/quote]

That's beautifully put!  My spiritual path is largely based on the idea of maintaining personal authenticity.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 3:13PM #12
clsimons68
When it all come right down to it.. In the end when we all meet our Maker.. Jesus.. we have to be accountable for our past lives.  Therefore, we should do our best to do what we know is Best for ourselves and try not to follow other who, may lead to astray.  We all know what is 'Right' from what is 'Wrong', we need to think some and decide what is right for us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 11:38AM #13
prayerpat
I totally agree with all of you.  I believe if you don't believe in something, you will fall for anything.  You have to be true to yourself with conviction and integrity and moral beliefs.  It is like when you were a little child and you knew you did something wrong, you felt awful until you told your parents or someone about it.  That is how God wants us to be.  Honest with ourselves and honest with everyone else.  I try to always be truthful.  I do get hurt a lot.  But that is why God said, "the truth shall set you free".  Most of the time people do not want to hear the truth.  It hurts.
We are to speak the truth "in love" to everyone.  I find that is the way to live every moment. 
I TRULY LOVE THIS SITE!

pat
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 1:21PM #14
essential

Each one is an individualized expression of God, the One. Each individualized expression is unique and absolutely necessary for the whole. If you were not to express your true Self, that part of the whole would be missing. Each part is absolutely essential to the whole.

In Love,

Essential Self 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 12:47AM #15
charmingwoman2007

Hello.

I have been gone for a while and now I am back, I find It hard to know who I am, I have never been able to know who I am, I was married for 32 years, and I was expecting to be what my ex wanting me to be, And now I am starting over,and I find it very diffcult to know, I do know that God Is working mircles In my Life and showing me that I am a great person who loves and has compassion for others, and that I can give and not think twice about what I am doing.And that I have a sweet  way with people.well I feel and see so much, well i will go for now.for God so loved the world he give his only begotten son. He gave his life and his Blood for our sins.If every day was another Easter and we thanked God for what he has giving us, and we give to him as well, to love God every day and read our Bibles and know our Lord and savior We WILL BE READY FOR HIM when he comes down from heaven to get us.

God bless you all.

Your Sister in Christ Loreli

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2009 - 3:47PM #16
puzzleman

When the path of life splits in two directions always take the high road, its harder to travel, takes a lot of effort, and is less traveled but at the end of lifes journey you will be that much closer to God and not regret the life you lived.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2009 - 1:48AM #17
Meliora9553

It reminds me of Polonius and Laertes! Ha!

But really, I think it resonates in my life as "You are all you have, so take care of yourself and never forget you are important, too".

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 3:39AM #18
Adela

On one hand spiritual teachings often espouse the idea of "getting rid of the self" or deconstructing identities and their limits.  Then on the other hand, it is so easy to both deny or disregard essential needs / characteristics of ourselves, such as difficult or embarassing emotions. particularly when we prize reason and logic so much. 

So to be true to oneself is actually a really really big ask and pivotal to inspiration, creativity and spiritual explorations. It takes a lot of work and courageous honesty. If only people sought to be "true"to themselves, then complicated misunderstandings and politics within communities could be better reasoned with.

Great question!!!

thank you! Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2009 - 7:32PM #19
lulu2

Being true to yourself, for me means, to keep ones integrity. To forego all excuses we feel the need to tell, instead of speaking the truth, that we fear will expose us, in a negative light. To be true to oneself, to me means, that I can face God knowing full well that I hide no lie, harbor no ill will, and seek only His grace,love, and acceptance.   

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 8:34AM #20
Sunnyd1913
"To Thine Own self be true"- From a person who spent alot of her youth frequently wishing she was someone else(up until I got to college)I think it means you can only be YOU. You an emulate someone until the cows come home but that just makes YOU a copycat. Thats just the version of you that you chose to be so to Thine own self be true is not a suggestion or a recomendation, it's a fact.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook