Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View To Thine Own Self Be True
5 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2009 - 5:08PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
What does the quote "To thine own self be true" mean to you?
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2009 - 3:26AM #2
Eudaimonist
[QUOTE=BeliefnetSabee;990337]What does the quote "To thine own self be true" mean to you?[/QUOTE]

It is a warning that other people may attempt to convince you to act against your judgment, principles, conscience, etc, and it is advice to live according to those "better angels of your nature".  At its most basic, it is advice to live with integrity.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 7:24AM #3
AlaskanSheilah
In this limiting physical world that is ruled by Satan as this crime boss WOULD rule his prison, we are inundated with his trademark lies; Every day we hear them and learn them as we children of the universe learn our alphabets.  We hear them, we say them, repeat them as facts. If we know truth at all, it is due to the minuscule thread of our Creator's DNA that is present in us and all HE creates.  The phrase "To Thine Own Self Be True", is a prayer said for the individual it is delivered to.  The gift of discernment of spirits has to start from within.  If one can lie to oneself, as in denial; of sin, of faults or weaknesses, or even strengths and virtues, one certainly cannot realize when others are also lying to them.  This prayer when granted, opens the door to salvation.  For if one doesn't know what they are guilty of, how can they begin ask for redemption?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 5:01PM #4
legs48
I have always taken it to mean that at the end of the day, you must face yourself and live with whatever consequences you have caused, so you should do what you know in your heart is right regardless of how others may perceive it or try to influence you. I also think it means that each of us is a valid individual in his/her own right so there is no point in trying to "be someone" other than who you really are, behaving pretentiously or hiding behind images that society might be accepting of.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2009 - 2:16AM #5
MarleneEmmett5
[QUOTE=BeliefnetSabee;990337]What does the quote "To thine own self be true" mean to you?[/QUOTE]

BeliefnetSabee:
To me the quote has always meant "Don't lie to oneself~ always try to tell the TRUTH"
And also to be True to one values/morals and standards.

People may/maynot perceive you as a good person but if you know in your Heart that you are a good
person that is all that matters.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2009 - 10:42AM #6
Lynn24
[QUOTE=Eudaimonist;991307]It is a warning that other people may attempt to convince you to act against your judgment, principles, conscience, etc, and it is advice to live according to those "better angels of your nature".  At its most basic, it is advice to live with integrity.

eudaimonia,

Mark[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way Mark has stated it here, one has to have their own foundation and ideals and morals to live by and one has to stand by them.........being swayed by others and bringing doubt upon ones belief can be a very big mistake in the journey one is on so be true to one self if in ones heart at  any time of their lives they feel a need of their own to change something that must be of their choice and not by someone else then so be it....but they are doing it by their own choice either because they have learned it the hard-way or because it was time their eyes were opened by the Great Spirit to understand at that time and no earlier....Lynn24
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2009 - 11:47AM #7
srjanu
To me, this means that I cannot betray who I am spiritually, morally, politically or socially. We are faced with challenges and we must not put up with injustice or discrimination. On a personal level, we must be with people who have our values or who support us. I had a Buddhist girlfriend , who I loved greatly, but I could not turn my back on my God. There is no way i could leave my religion for hers. But then I want someone who will go to my church and who will support my beliefs. Sadly and reluctantly, I had to move on.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 3:56PM #8
bethP

As a quote from "Hamlet" Shakespear was talking about being ethical.

This quote is preceeded by "neither a borrower nor a lender be."

To me, it means to be true to yourself and your convictions, no matter what anyone else thinks.  At the end of your life it is only your actions that really matter, kind of like when your mom used to say "if everyone else jumped off of a bridge would you do it too?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 8:26AM #9
HERKETTE
I tell my children, "Don't change who you are by the way other people treat you."

Simply said, the truth, the purity of ourselves, resides in our souls where we navigate which direction we travel.  When you are connected by a deep faith and integrity, you will stay true to yourself.  You'll know, too, because when you are true to yourself and how you respond to the world in any given situation, you feel good.  When you are not true to yourself and respond in a way that is 'bent' or aligned in a way to serve a purpose outside of yourself, you'll feel it.  You won't feel satisfied.  IN fact, you'll analyze the situation in your head, because the equation was not truthful.  It is dynamic how we work!  Look at the cup half full and persevere and inspire others postively.  This is what a HERKETTE is all about.  She is strong, perseveres and inspires others and is inspired.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 5:05PM #10
Eudaimonist
[QUOTE=HERKETTE;1022634]Simply said, the truth, the purity of ourselves, resides in our souls where we navigate which direction we travel.  When you are connected by a deep faith and integrity, you will stay true to yourself.  You'll know, too, because when you are true to yourself and how you respond to the world in any given situation, you feel good.  When you are not true to yourself and respond in a way that is 'bent' or aligned in a way to serve a purpose outside of yourself, you'll feel it.  You won't feel satisfied.[/quote]

That's beautifully put!  My spiritual path is largely based on the idea of maintaining personal authenticity.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook