Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

2 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2015 - 1:14PM #1
lapatosu
This is a thread to share stories and pictures of our own life and that of our ancestors. How simple is that?
Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2015 - 1:41PM #2
lapatosu

This is a picture of my third great-grandfather on my father's side of the family. Gottfried Jahn.  He was born in Greiz in current day Germany in 1799. When he immigrated in 1823, his home town was part of the Duchies of Saxony, which is why this side of my family identifies itself as being Saxon, not necessarily German. Germany came after my ancestors were long gone.

Anyways, he was 39 when he left Germany, with his family and  a group of fellow church members who were truly upset about the direction the Lutheran Church was taking at the time.  It had become very much a state run church, sermons were written by state officials and were to be read at the pulpits of the state's Lutheran Churches, and the emphasis was on rational.

My third great grandfather wasn't interested in a rational god or learning about Jesus instead of Christ, and when the Saxon state decided to shut down his preacher (Stephen Martin), he and his family followed said preacher to Bremen, got on the ship Copernicus, and sailed to New Orleans.  From there, they took a steamship up to St. Louis, Missouri, finally settling in Brazzeua, Perry, Missouri.

I just love the wig. Oh, in Saxony, he was a shoemaker. I'm assuming he became a farmer/shoemaker in Missouri. I haven't been able to find that much more about him. What I do know is due to someone writing their dissertation on the followers of Stephen Martin, Gottfried's minister.

Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2015 - 3:12AM #3
JoyceB53

A very brave man to have dared to take such a long voyage way back in those days.  How cool that someone got a picture of  him, and now you have it.  Gives you a bit more of a sense of family, right?

Today is the day that the Lord hath made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it.

---Psalm 118:24
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2015 - 12:06PM #4
keegon

Please meet Christian and Catharina Pletsch, my Maternal great great grandparents Smile

Christian Pletsch was born about 1830 and died 7 Jan 1899, born in Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany.  He was Christened on 24 may 1830 at the Evangelisch, Berleburg Stadt, Westfallen, Prussia.

Christian came to the US on 19 May 1851 aboard the Louise Marie from Bremen, Germany into Philadelphia, PA.  He was a watchmaker.  He served in the Civil War and fought for the Confederacy.  A cousin still has the powder horn that Christian used in the Civil War.

He married Catharina Hardlapp (name on the marriage license) on 15 Oct 1854 in Philadelphia, PA at St. Michael's and Zion Church.  In the 1870 Census, they were living in Baltimore, MD and had, at that time 7 children.  In the 1880 Census, records do not list Catharina, who I assume had passed away.  Little is known about her.  Records have shown she went by a few different last names, making it difficult to find out more about her.

Catharina (Lovejoy - as was on  the back of a photo my cousin has- perhaps her maiden name) came to the US at the age of 20.  She was born about 1831 in Berlin, Germany.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2015 - 3:59PM #5
lapatosu

Wow, Keegon! I wonder if all that hair is hers.  Bet it is, and that is why your hair is still so long and strong.  Good hair genes.

This is fun.  Now I'm heading off to see if I have pictures of any of my kin who would match those dates......

Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2015 - 4:37PM #6
lapatosu

And here is why I was so impressed with the hair thing, Keegon.  This is a picture of Gottried's daughter, Sophia,  one of my great - great aunts, something.  She is sitting with her husband, who had suffered a stroke before this picture was taken.

Mother of 5, she was born in Saxony (before her parents immigrated), met her husband and married in Missouri. Her husband was born in the "Russian Federation," which given the dates, puts him as a Czarist Russian. He was a Missouri Synod Lutheran minister and teacher, unusual, since Russia was Eastern Orthodox.....I need to check into that. They had 5 children, and did not serve in the USA Civil War, having been called up north to preach in Wisconsin. I don't think members of the Lutheran clergy would have served, anyways, at least no one in this branch of the family had anything to do with that war.

Be that as it may, they lived in the same general time span as your pictured kin. Sophia was born in 1830 and died in 1915. 

I don't have a picture of her sister, who was my great something grandma, but I have a feeling that Johanna, who was my relative, looked a lot like her sisters, given the portraits that I have of the other two sisters who made up this family. Good, solid Saxons all.

Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook