Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Depression and Religion
3 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2014 - 2:56AM #1
Arymar
I'm 24 years old and  have clinical depression and ocd. My ocd falls in the pure "O" category which means I don't necessarily have the compulsions but more just obsessions and irrational fears which consist of doubts, fear of harming others, and excessive ruminating thoughts. Right now it's very difficult to deal with these things- it seems like life is meaningless. I was raised Catholic, but as I grew older I couldn't reconcile with certain aspects such as in order to be "saved" you had to believe in Jesus, the Church being against gay marriage among other things .. Moreover I saw how being so adamant about believing in the "correct" God can lead to conflict and is evident in history with religious wars. Even so I have met people with faith and it's something I wish I had - it seems so beautiful to me and I feel it would help in my disorder. I guess what I'm asking is how do you guys reconcile your doubts with your spirituality - whichever religion you are? and has it help your disorder? I'm having trouble forming a view of the world. Sometimes I feel I'm a soul inhabiting a human body...other times I think everything is connected. I really wish there was a loving God that watches over us...But things like diseases and earthquakes dont quite connect with that concept of a loving God - it seems more like we are just products of a universe that constantly needs to "make and unmake everything that is possible" This nihilist view makes even more depressed. Does anyone else have depression over meaning of life and spirituality?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2014 - 10:08PM #2
JoyceB53

Hello, Arymar,

It's my pleasure to "meet" you, altho I don't think I can answer any of your questions, and for that I apologize.  What I am going to do, tho, is suggest that you find a counselor who specializes in working with people who have spiritual questions.  Possibly a local pastor or priest can help you find one in your area.  Earlier this evening, I clicked on a link over on facebook that took me to a site the would probably help you find one, in fact.  I *think* the name of the site is Harvard Divinity, but I'm not 100% sure, and don't think I could find the link again...but, wait a sec, brb....ok, got it.   bulletin.hds.harvard.edu/articles/summer...

Now, that article the link takes you to is a really good one, altho it's probably  not going to be much help for what you're looking for.  So.  If I remember right, you need to scroll almost down to the bottom, looking on the right hand side, and see if you can find "Depression and Religion."  I think that might have something in it that you're looking for.  I also think that somewhere on that site you  might be able to find the kind of counselor that can help you.

Good luck.

JB

Today is the day that the Lord hath made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it.

---Psalm 118:24
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 6:13AM #3
marklewis121

A great experiance shered by you, thank you!!

how to fight depression

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook