Switch to Forum Live View The wellness police
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 9:05AM #1
cherubino

This is a topic which has bothered me for a long time. Do we in recovery have an obligation to ourselves and society at large to become temperance crusaders or at least lend our support to the cause? The AA literature is somewhat ambiguous about this, but the Traditions are very clear that we don't let the AA name itself be allied with such efforts.

I find this article particularly disturbing because it states clearly that even without an act of Parliament or Congress, "Dentists have a duty to promote the general health and wellbeing of the public as well as looking out for specific signs of mouth problems linked to drinking, the experts said."

If anything, I'd say we in recovery, be that in AA or not, have a duty to promote every alcoholic's right to privacy and protection from these self-appointed public health watchdogs.

What say ye all?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2012 - 8:00PM #2
andrewcyrus

Amen Brother.. Wellness police in my state have polluted the message of AA with court enforced attendance against the basic rights of the individual.. What I get slammed with in AA is snake infested brood of vipers.. Most of the old timers don't show up anymore..

Sister Mary Mercyless and the Powerpuff Girls takes up their throne and attempt to enforce their doubled dipped broken record of the serenity prayer in the meetings, taking a power dump on the our Father prayer. And then you have Mo Jo Joe Joe and his agnostic squad step in and cancel out any belief in the twelve steps of AA.

Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions ever reminding us to place principles before personalities..

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2012 - 10:59AM #3
Stardove

After reading the OP article I wonder about HIPAA rules here in the USA. 

Do dentists also come under the rules of HIPAA?  They are doctors, so I believe they would.  So what really could dentists do with the information if "they believe" a patient is abusing alcohol?

This may work in Britain, but because of HIPAA I don't think it will happen in the USA.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook