Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2015 - 12:56AM #101
JoyceB53

Learned how to spell "Szechuan."  Made these beans for my supper tonight and really like them, so here's the recipe.  They have a bit of heat to them, but it's not overwhelming.  I had to make a few substitutions, and have told in parenthesis[]what they are.  The recipe calls for fresh green beans, but I had half a can leftover in the 'fridge, and opened another can to go with those.  Worked out fine. 

Szechuan Green Beans

1 lb. green beans, trimmed and halved[1 1/2 cans, drained well]

1/2C green onions, chopped, white part only

4tsp. minced garlic[2tsp. garlic powder]

4tsp. minced fresh ginger[one tsp. powdered ginger]

4tsp. low sodium soy sauce or tamari

2Tbs.mirin(mirin is rice vinegar)

2tsp. toasted sesame oil[1 tsp. olive oil]

1-2tsp. chile-garlic sauce[2tsp. chili powder]

1/4C vegetable oil[too much for my taste, only used about 1/8 of a cup]

Combine the green beans with the next 3 ingredients in a bowl and set to one side.

Combine the next four, with 2 tsp. of water, in a bowl, and set to one side.

Heat the vegetable oil, high heat, in a wok or a large skillet.  Add the bean mixture, and stir-fry for five minutes, until the beans are browned and blistered stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat, and stir in soy sauce mixture, letting the heat from the pan thicken the sauce.

My original plan had been to add some cashews to the green beans while they were being stir-fried, but I forgot about it, and didn't save any over the weekend, sigh.  I think they would have been a wonderful addition.  Peanuts would probably be good, too.  If anyone tries this, let me know what you think.  It was darned good with all the substitutions so I figure that if you make it the "right" way, it  would be even better.

Today is the day that the Lord hath made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it.

---Psalm 118:24
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook