Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
3 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2011 - 9:49AM #31
Roodog

Jul 24, 2011 -- 3:02PM, Grinandbearit wrote:

You people can gripe and moan all you want, but the facts stand. Before bras were invented (by some man no doubt) and before mammograms, breast cancer was nearly unheard of.

In earlier times most women did not live long enough to get cancer. Something else killed them off before they reached their forties!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2011 - 10:33AM #32
Stardove

This might surprise you............

Historically Breast Cancer Was Thought to Have Been Diagnosed and Treated in Ancient Egypt

It may be nearly impossible to document or to pinpoint the very first case of breast cancer that was diagnosed historically.  However, we do know that an awareness of breast cancer and discussion of the breast as a point of disease dates as far back as the 1600 BC in documented Egyptian writings. At that time a description of what is now accepted to be breast cancer was recorded in a paper called the Edwin Smith Papyrus. In these writings the treatment was described as simply a cauterization of the breast on the spot where the tumor was palpable. It was believed at that time that there was no other effective treatment in use for these first recorded cases of breast cancer.

Continued at link.

The History of the Brassiere
Mary Phelps Jacob and the Brassiere

The first modern brassiere to receive a patent was the one invented in 1913 by a New York socialite named Mary Phelps Jacob. Mary Phelps Jacob had just purchased a sheer evening gown for one of her social events. At that time, the only acceptable undergarment was a corset stiffened with whaleback bones. Mary found that the whalebones poked out visible around the plunging neckline and under the sheer fabric. Two silk handkerchiefs and some pink ribbon later, Mary had designed an alternative to the corset. The corset's reign was starting to topple.

Continued at link.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2011 - 11:42AM #33
Erey

Jul 26, 2011 -- 10:33AM, Stardove wrote:

This might surprise you............

Historically Breast Cancer Was Thought to Have Been Diagnosed and Treated in Ancient Egypt

It may be nearly impossible to document or to pinpoint the very first case of breast cancer that was diagnosed historically.  However, we do know that an awareness of breast cancer and discussion of the breast as a point of disease dates as far back as the 1600 BC in documented Egyptian writings. At that time a description of what is now accepted to be breast cancer was recorded in a paper called the Edwin Smith Papyrus. In these writings the treatment was described as simply a cauterization of the breast on the spot where the tumor was palpable. It was believed at that time that there was no other effective treatment in use for these first recorded cases of breast cancer.

Continued at link.

The History of the Brassiere
Mary Phelps Jacob and the Brassiere

The first modern brassiere to receive a patent was the one invented in 1913 by a New York socialite named Mary Phelps Jacob. Mary Phelps Jacob had just purchased a sheer evening gown for one of her social events. At that time, the only acceptable undergarment was a corset stiffened with whaleback bones. Mary found that the whalebones poked out visible around the plunging neckline and under the sheer fabric. Two silk handkerchiefs and some pink ribbon later, Mary had designed an alternative to the corset. The corset's reign was starting to topple.

Continued at link.

OK, I am not going to go into that bras cause cancer.  I love wearing bras and really don't want to live without them.

But there is so very much conflicting info out there.  I had heard that they DID NOT find evidence of cancer in ancient Egypt. 

Check this out -

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/80...

I am not going to go to bat for or against cancer in ancient egypt but it is interesting to think about.  Also that the idea that alot of cancers are caused by viruses.  As in many cancers you would not think caused by viruses might be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2011 - 12:33PM #34
DotNotInOz
Whether there was or was not breast cancer in antiquity is incidental to the fact that the disease did not result from women wearing bras.

It actually wouldn't surprise me to find that we've brought cancer upon ourselves by the widespread use of humanmade chemicals.

Then, too, it's possible that the evolution of micro-organisms has resulted in whatever agents cause cancers such as the HPV virus. I heard a report on the national evening news this past week that an alarming increase in mouth and throat cancers among white-collar men who've not used tobacco may be caused by the HPV virus, doctors speculate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2011 - 1:14PM #35
Erey

Jul 26, 2011 -- 12:33PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Then, too, it's possible that the evolution of micro-organisms has resulted in whatever agents cause cancers such as the HPV virus. I heard a report on the national evening news this past week that an alarming increase in mouth and throat cancers among white-collar men who've not used tobacco may be caused by the HPV virus, doctors speculate.

Yes a 55 year old friend of mine just celebrated his first year post cancer surgery and he is now cancer free.  He had one of those glandular cancers in his throat.  They think it might have been caused by the HPV virus.

My son is 15 and I am having him take the HPV vaccine regimine (three different shots).  My daughter is 11 and soon I will put her on the same. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2011 - 4:26PM #36
mainecaptain

I do think we have made things worse with pollutants, the animal body is a delicate one and needs to be protected as much as possibly from things that cause changes in the cells, that become cancers.

But man kind is to stupid and greedy, to do anything like that, so we hasten our own demise.

Just look at the way the right wing wants to remove environmental protections in favour of profits over the safety and health of the people.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook