Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Overcoming Depression
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 2:42PM #1
Craig_w_dressler

All of us speak words to ourselves that either encourage us with impetus to move upward and onward, or to denigrate ourselves and tear us down.  When you look in the mirror in the morning, what do you say to yourself?  Is it in essence "I am blessed" or is it "I am cursed"?  Recognizing and identifying what many have called the self-talk in your life is an initial step to turning around discouragement.
     Almost no one can make the necessary changes relying on your own strength.  Most Alcohol Anonymous members acknowledge that you must call on a Higher Power.  This power, though, needs to be specified to work deeply in your life.  You connect to this Higher Power, or God, through faith in Jesus' death for your sins and faith in his resurrection power.  It is only by welcoming the Holy Spirit and the strength he brings that empowerment comes to help fight off those negative attitudes and temptations.

Moderated by Merope on Jul 07, 2011 - 05:28PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2011 - 5:17PM #2
Natashae

Thank you so much for reminding us of this very real truth. Our thoughts effect our moods and how we treat ourselves and others. A book that I have found helpful on this subject is Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer. It talks about controlling what we think and the things we allow ourselves to dwell on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2011 - 4:09PM #3
JoyceB53

Natashe, the message itself was ok.  There was actually some wisdom in it.  And, I'm a fan of Joyce Meyer, also, altho I don't think I've read "Battlefield of the Mind" yet.  I do have several other books by her, and sometimes I go to her website to listen to her talks.  Do you also like Max Lucado?  He's very good, also...have several of his books.

Moderated by Merope on Jul 07, 2011 - 05:31PM
Today is the day that the Lord hath made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it.

---Psalm 118:24
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2011 - 12:26AM #4
Natashae

Joyce,

I haven't read any books by Max Lucado, just some excerpts and articles which were great! Which books do you recommend?

Joyce Meyer is on one of the tv stations around here (Boston) so sometimes I listen to her talks on there . Her website is very helpful too. I think you will like Battlefield of the Mind. I have read it through a couple of times and it really has a lot of common sense .

Hope you have a great day! :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2011 - 4:33PM #5
Estacia

Try Max's Grace for the moment. It is is daily reading!!! I it.

OVERCOMING DEPRESSION- Can it happen? That's a debate alone!!!

Can it be managed? YES W/ CORRECT meds and support.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2011 - 7:43PM #6
Natashae

Thanks Estacia! I'll look for that one at Barnes and Noble this weekend!

Agreed....Overcomiong depression is a tall order, but managing with meds and treatment is possible. Not easy but possible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2011 - 1:02AM #7
JoyceB53

Natashe...I liked "It's Not About You,"  "3:16 The Numbers of Hope,"  "Cast of Characters," and "Every Day Deserves A Chance."  There are a couple more I've read, but don't remember the names right now, and they aren't right here in my bookcase.  Interesting, wonder where they are?  Sigh...so unorganized....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2011 - 3:32AM #8
arlenemariedaniels

I thought that there'd be a nice discussion on this thread. Haha. Oh well..

But since we're on the topic, I've read a book called How to Stop Self-Sabotage by Dr. Darryl Cross. He's an Australian psychologist I think. 

It seems pretty easy to breeze through and offers great advice on deppression and getting past one's self-inflicted problems. I've yet to finish it, but it seems pretty good so far. 

Have any of you read it? :) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2011 - 3:29PM #9
JoyceB53

Arlene, welcome to the b'net depression forum, hope you like it here.  Have you checked out "The Front Desk" thread?  It's a daily discussion of what's going on in our lives, how we're feeling at any given time, and what we do to help deal with depression and other mental issues.  Feel free to check it out and post there.  And, no, I haven't read the book you mentioned, thanks for sharing that with us.

Natashae, the other Max Lucado books are "Facing Your Giants," "Fearless," "Outlive Your Life," and "Cure for the Common Life," which didn't do much for me other than give me lots to think about.

Hope all y'all are having a good day...one day at a time, etc.  God bless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2011 - 3:42PM #10
arlenemariedaniels

Nope, I haven't checked it out yet, but I sure will. Thanks for that! :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook