Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Overcoming Depression
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 11:04AM #11
Peacefulwanderer

Everyone seems to overcome depression differently. Personally I have found the path of buddhism to be helpful to my wellbeing. But it may not be to everyone. Reminding yourself that your depression is your thoughts and you can reverse it is imporant as well. This is why I believe meditation is very important. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:47AM #12
StephenK.Adams

Jun 29, 2011 -- 2:42PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

All of us speak words to ourselves that either encourage us with impetus to move upward and onward, or to denigrate ourselves and tear us down.  When you look in the mirror in the morning, what do you say to yourself?  Is it in essence "I am blessed" or is it "I am cursed"?  Recognizing and identifying what many have called the self-talk in your life is an initial step to turning around discouragement.

Almost no one can make the necessary changes relying on your own strength.  Most Alcohol Anonymous members acknowledge that you must call on a Higher Power.  This power, though, needs to be specified to work deeply in your life.  You connect to this Higher Power, or God, through faith in Jesus' death for your sins and faith in his resurrection power.  It is only by welcoming the Holy Spirit and the strength he brings that empowerment comes to help fight off those negative attitudes and temptations.

Suggesting that a belief in the Jesus story is the best way to overcome depression is not telling the truth.   This quotation from the following writer proves my point. 

Peacefulwanderer

Everyone seems to overcome depression differently. Personally I have found the path of buddhism to be helpful to my wellbeing. But it may not be to everyone. Reminding yourself that your depression is your thoughts and you can reverse it is imporant as well. This is why I believe meditation is very important.

Meditation is important.  Realizing that you have the potential to overcome your depression is part of the positive attitude that helps overcome depression.   You can attribute this positive attitude on your part to your belief in whatever religion you are practicing, but in reality, you can do this yourself.  You don't have to pretend that you are not good enough to do it yourself.  

We have nothing to fear except our lack of understanding of fear itself.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 12:38AM #13
Estacia

When fighting deppression, there is no instruction manuals on the subject. Each has their own way that they deal with it.

One cannot tell another that he/she is dealing w/ thier deppression in the wrong way. EXCEPT for illegal drugs and alochol.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2012 - 3:04PM #14
2012escapee

I have found sound healing helpful for depression symptoms, and also self hypnosis programs.  I also wanted to find out more about diet, and learned cutting gluten out of my diet helped tremenously.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2012 - 2:05PM #15
Junoah

Depression is a fundamental problem that demands urgent attention, one must deal with it. And, its a 'seemingly' hard place to get out of because in depression you are basically spirraling downward..with no hope. and you begin to have no hope of your no hope of having hope and on and on and on... one becomes stuck. So seeing how it must be dealt with..for the sake of your life but also the lives of others, how does one go about dealig with it? This obviously is the question... For the sake of brevity   here at www.healthyarousal.com i address this in a couple blogs. Theres also some really good book recomendations i think can really help those of you whom are suffering from depression.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2012 - 1:04PM #16
JoyceB53

Junoah, I just went to your blog and read a couple articles.  Just wanted to let you know that i enjoyed them, especially the one about quality vs. quality.  The sixth principle you listed in that article, experience, was very interesting, made my think about my own life.  After many, many years of not knowing what i wanted, or what to do in my spare time, I've finally narrowed my "experiences" down to basically three:  Being on my computer, reading, and my artwork(and no, it's definitely not something you would ever see anywhere), and those three things seem to be what really, um, shall we say, "make me tick?"  One other thing I enjoy, but it's not something I do as much as the other three, is to look for, and try, vegetarian recipes.   Quality, not quantity, works for me...and also helps relieve the stress level in my life, as there aren't fourteen million different things screaming at me to "finish me, finish me."

Today is the day that the Lord hath made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it.

---Psalm 118:24
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2012 - 1:43PM #17
Junoah

Aug 16, 2012 -- 1:04PM, JoyceB53 wrote:

Junoah, I just went to your blog and read a couple articles.  Just wanted to let you know that i enjoyed them, especially the one about quality vs. quality.  The sixth principle you listed in that article, experience, was very interesting, made my think about my own life.  After many, many years of not knowing what i wanted, or what to do in my spare time, I've finally narrowed my "experiences" down to basically three:  Being on my computer, reading, and my artwork(and no, it's definitely not something you would ever see anywhere), and those three things seem to be what really, um, shall we say, "make me tick?"  One other thing I enjoy, but it's not something I do as much as the other three, is to look for, and try, vegetarian recipes.   Quality, not quantity, works for me...and also helps relieve the stress level in my life, as there aren't fourteen million different things screaming at me to "finish me, finish me."

Hey joyceb53. Thanks for visiting the blog-page. And your right, i totally agree with your statement about how quality, not quantity helps relieve stress in regards to the various commitments and 'fourteen million different things' one has on their 'to-do' list screaming "finish me, finish me!" hehe. I definately have and still do at times get caught up with that kind of of  "noise".

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2012 - 9:56AM #18
Estacia

You My Dear, Are an excellent writer!

I just read House of Anger. It rang a bell for me.

Too much of it is very self destructive but a "normal" amount of it proves that were are human.

Those whom show NO EMOTION/s scare me. They are tickimg time bombs in disguse.

I believe once they get set off, all of thier built up anger will come out on the one it is not intended for.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook