Switch to Forum Live View I've got the schizoeffective disorder depressive type blahs........encouragement welcome
3 years ago  ::  May 28, 2011 - 5:10PM #1
Andrea
I had symptoms of schizoeffective disorder for years, but I wasn't diagnosed until after it got to bad for me to go to work or school. Now of course, I owe a ludicris amount of student loans that I can't afford on disablity. I live with my mom, and I hate it. I want to go to school, but I am to afraid I'll just fail again...I do anything to be a productive member of society...How am I supposed to tell if I'm ready to go back to school? Where is God in all of this?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 28, 2011 - 6:22PM #2
koala972

medicines helped me tremendously, I was eventually able to go back to work, although it can sometimes be challenging still...  depends on whether you can stomach the idea of being medicated though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2011 - 6:32AM #3
karbie

schizo-effective + whatever tag they choose to use afterward is not a great thing to go through.I'm not sure if there is a way to renegotiate your student loans since you obviously have no money to repay them. (I don't know if you could take bankruptcy to get rid of them or not.)

My son was diagnosed in high school--his tag was "manifesting as bi-polar" so it was a sure an "and the kitchen sink sort of diagnosis. He ended up needing to have a school furnished tutor and we lucked out with a wonderful man. His German teacher found a way to keep him taking it. The school system doesn't pay for anything beyond the core subjects, but she had the Friday detention hall and was there until 5 anyway. As soon as they learned it wasn't going to cost more, they agreed.

When you were going to school and not yet diagnosed, I'm sure that you should have been given grants and help. The only reason the school system helped us was because his out-side counselor told me that his problems came under the US Federal Disabilities Act. It was amazing how helpful the school system became once I knew what they had to give us by law. sure never hinted at anything before then.

If you have a physical, mental, or emotional condition, you can have a an IEP INdividual Education Plan, even in college. this includes weighted attendance where your absences don't count against you as much, and if you need to make frequent trips to the bathroom, etc--it would all be spelled out. I know there are more college grants, since I think they get more money for you.

My son and my niece both didn't want to use it in college, and there were some classes he had to re-take.  Medication might have helped him more if he hadn't bee given things like Wellbutrin before it was found to make people in their teens and early 20s become more depressed and suicidal. He refused to take it after he turned 18. He said he'd rather take the highs and lows and be able to think than be fuzzy brained and suicidal.

I've been on antidepressants for a lot of years and they do help. One doctor told me that my depression was situational--that with all of my physical problems Id be crazy not to be depressed.

You need to talk to one of the consumer credit agencies to help either get rid of your loans or get them down as much as possible since your pension isn't going to takke care of it. There are a lot of doctors and clinics who can help you deal with medications. Sometimes combining two low dosage medications works well. They aren't going to make you overjoyed but the world will seem less bleak.

Welcome to this forum. You'll find some of the most supportive, caring people here that I've ever met. Somehow when we need help the most, we've found our way to beliefnet and this forum. WE all have different problems, but it's like being able to go to a support group in your pjs. Check out the Front Desk thread for an over view and jump in any time. Everyone is welcome and there's no seniority crap.I'm sorry that you'vebeen going through such a horrible time and I hope it ease for you very, very soon.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2011 - 4:13PM #4
dreamhealth

May 28, 2011 -- 5:10PM, Andrea wrote:

I had symptoms of schizoeffective disorder for years, but I wasn't diagnosed until after it got to bad for me to go to work or school. Now of course, I owe a ludicris amount of student loans that I can't afford on disablity. I live with my mom, and I hate it. I want to go to school, but I am to afraid I'll just fail again...I do anything to be a productive member of society...How am I supposed to tell if I'm ready to go back to school? Where is God in all of this?

The only way to empowerment is to have objectives and to achieve them. With many emotional pproblems and long-range therapy, I achieved my doctorate at age 57. Yes, there were healthier, younger students in the program--reminding me that I was delayed by trauma and that the job market will be better for them than for me (none of this is law; maybe they weren't healthier; maybe a good job awaits me)--but, oh, how sweet were my rewards on and since finishing. I don't think college degrees are good or better at a young age. You will finish yours! It may not seem like it now, but you will and then some!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 1:45PM #5
JoyceB53

Hi, Andrea, welcome to the depression forum.  I don't have any words of wisdom for you, as I've not walked in your shoes, but I can do this:  I hope for all the good luck possible for you, and that you manage to find a way back to school, and to cope with your loans.  Well, maybe I do have a couple things to say, after all, basically just one question.  Have you tried talking to either a medical doctor, or a minister/preacher?  Sometimes one of the other can come up with something that can help you, whether it's meds or a plan of action, or maybe even both. 

Like I said, good luck to you, and, like Karbie suggested, come and join us on the Front Desk thread, ok?  And btw, my middle name is Andrea.  God bless.

Today is the day that the Lord hath made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it.

---Psalm 118:24
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook