Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
4 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 11:01PM #1
Halcyon-days

Berlin Patient Follow-Up 'Strongly Suggests' HIV Cure

The “Berlin Patient”—a man living with HIV who underwent a transplant  involving HIV-resistant stem cells in 2007 for the treatment of  leukemia—has been classified as cured of his HIV, according to an update  of the patient’s experience published online, ahead of print, on December 8 by the journal Blood. The man has remained off HIV treatment for three-and-a-half years with normal CD4 counts and no evidence of HIV replication.

Read the rest here

So could this finally be a real start to eradicating HIV?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 11:08PM #2
Stardove

It is a pretty amazing recovery. Thanks.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 11:43PM #3
mountain_man

Dec 13, 2010 -- 11:01PM, Halcyon-days wrote:

So could this finally be a real start to eradicating HIV?

It would be great. Though there have been recoveries before. Time will tell.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2010 - 12:51AM #4
Yavanna

HIV and Cancer are both in serious jeopardy. There's some awesome research going on. Cool

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2010 - 6:00AM #5
Guessses

This is indeed good news, but you know the ways the US is about stem cells.

I hope I survive long enough to eventually get off the meds without dieing. Cool

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2010 - 12:49PM #6
MysticWanderer

this is an interesting case but gicen the risks of bone marow transplant, especiaLally in over 35y/o I would stick with current therapy. Notice they also ended up trying to eradicate his bone marrw and immune system TWICE and probably did eliminate all cells harboring the virus.  My brother in law did have a bone marrow transplant fdor the same leukemia and nearly died from the transplant itself.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2010 - 11:05PM #7
Erey

It seems like alot of people with HIV are living just fine and might not go for such a difficult procedure and instead just live with the disease.  I guess the treatment would be more for those cases where they can't get the HIV under control?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2010 - 5:58AM #8
Guessses

Dec 14, 2010 -- 11:05PM, Erey wrote:

It seems like alot of people with HIV are living just fine and might not go for such a difficult procedure and instead just live with the disease.  I guess the treatment would be more for those cases where they can't get the HIV under control?

hmmm, tough call. Live with taking meds the rest of my life, hoping that my liver won't fail, certain jobs am not allowed to do, not telling anyone why I'm on meds and can't miss a single dose, knowing if I ever have to buy these meds @costs it will be between 1500-1800$ a month for the rest of my life, knowing if I can't get my meds it will be a low and painful death that awaits me, hoping no other meds or foods won't be contrary to these...

OR 

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2010 - 10:57AM #9
Erey

Dec 15, 2010 -- 5:58AM, Guessses wrote:

hmmm, tough call. Live with taking meds the rest of my life, hoping that my liver won't fail, certain jobs am not allowed to do, not telling anyone why I'm on meds and can't miss a single dose, knowing if I ever have to buy these meds @costs it will be between 1500-1800$ a month for the rest of my life, knowing if I can't get my meds it will be a low and painful death that awaits me, hoping no other meds or foods won't be contrary to these...

OR 

My understandng is HIV is alot like cancer - everyone has a different experience.  I have some HIV friends that live alot like people with any chronic problem and then of course there are many that have died even with aggressive medical treatment.  So I guess it is all over the map. 

I think the procedure is very important and of course great news.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2010 - 4:01PM #10
Guessses

Dec 15, 2010 -- 10:57AM, Erey wrote:

Dec 15, 2010 -- 5:58AM, Guessses wrote:

OR 

My understandng is HIV is alot like cancer - everyone has a different experience.  I have some HIV friends that live alot like people with any chronic problem and then of course there are many that have died even with aggressive medical treatment.  So I guess it is all over the map. 

I think the procedure is very important and of course great news.

I was very "lucky" in some ways, 1 pill a day for the rest of my life to remain "undetectable", and, for the moment. the VA is picking up the tab. A"cure" versus 1500$-1800 a month for the rest of my life??? 

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook