Switch to Forum Live View Suicide versus Spirituality
4 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2010 - 2:35PM #1
Guessses

Today, in my "Mood Management" class at the VA, one Veteran postulated the theory that "If your Spiritual you can't be suicidal"

I disagree but did not have the opportunity to discuss it.

What are your thoughts?

Peace,

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2010 - 3:34PM #2
nillawafer

Sep 16, 2010 -- 2:35PM, Guessses wrote:

Today, in my "Mood Management" class at the VA, one Veteran postulated the theory that "If your Spiritual you can't be suicidal"

What are your thoughts?

Peace,

Have you ever heard of "The Dark Night of the Soul" by St. John of the Cross? Have you ever heard of the sufferings of many saints? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2010 - 3:35PM #3
nillawafer

Sep 16, 2010 -- 3:34PM, nillawafer wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Peace,

Have you ever heard of "The Dark Night of the Soul" by St. John of the Cross? Have you ever heard of the sufferings of many saints? 

Oh yeah, and Job!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 12:43AM #4
Guessses

What are your thoughts?

Peace,

No. 

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 12:44AM #5
Guessses

Sep 16, 2010 -- 3:35PM, nillawafer wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Peace,

Oh yeah, and Job!

I do know the story of Job but I never got that he was suicidal.

P.S. While it is true I am for some reason depressed, I'm not so sure I believe in suffering...

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2010 - 4:53AM #6
nnn123

It is my understanding that all the major religions of the world oppose suicide.

At the same time, my reading of the lives of the all the great saints is that many of them were driven to suicidal thoughts.

So, while all the religions oppose suicide, they certainly acknowledge the great sufferings that exist in life.

I think broad statements like "you can't be spiritual if you are suicidal" are blurbs that do not cover anything more than can be covered in a blurb.  Shakespeare was suicidal.  So was Abraham Lincoln.  Both were extremely spiritual people.

But I do think it is a spiritual duty to try and fight off suicidal thoughts.

My uncle killed himself in the 80's.  It was horrible.

When depression gets very bad, in order to repel it, I think of various things:

- I think how horrible my friends and relatives will feel...and for years, if I kill myself.

- I think of my religious duty not to do it

- I think that a negative state of mind is the worst state of mind in which to make any decision.  That moods are like waves, they come and go...and that all I have to do is wait and the mood will pass.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2010 - 8:07AM #7
Mysty101

Hi,

Depression and anxiety are so common today.  I think our stressful over fast-paced lives and poor diets are large contributers.

Behavioral management can help manage our lives, and many new medicines help manage the imbalance in brain chemicals.  My son, and a very close friend were both healed of serious suidal depression and anxiety by medication.

I was diagnosed as mildly suicidal (if I had succeeded would I only be mildly dead???), after I was  robbbed at gunpoint in my house, and improved greatly with positive thinking and prayer.  I have some simple exercises, if any one would care for me to post.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2010 - 8:10AM #8
Guessses

Thanks for your contributions!

Peace,

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook