Switch to Forum Live View My Dad -- mom's caregiver
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 3:20PM #1
Erin

I check out these forums frequently for advice for my dad. He has taken care of my mother for about 12 years now since she was diagnosed with MS. I hope you will read the story i posted in our local newspaper nominating him for Father of the Year. I know that all of you will understand what it takes to be a full-time caregiver, yet he does so and has never, ever complained. If you feel moved to check it out, the link is below

I will thank you in advance for you help and I will update you. God Bless

tiflorida.upickem.net/engine/Details.asp...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2010 - 11:40AM #2
karbie

I hope he won! While I don't have MS, a dear friend was just diagnosed. What I do have is a spouse who takes care of me on the days that I can barely get out of bed even though he is in pain himself. Over the past 4 years or so the balance here has been my son asking for his father when he calls instead of spending much time with me...stings a bit, but I've wished this kind of relationship between them and I'm glad they have it now.

they've always loved each other, but my husband spent a lot of time working forced overtime for a few years....even then he'd read to our son or play board games just to be sure they spent time one on one. I spent 3 years home-schooling due to our son's health problems. He's better now and got married to a wonderful young woman in December. WE're blessed because his other family loves him--my avatar is my cat-in-law.

Your father sounds amazing and  I know how rare it is for partners to make all the sacrifices that go with being a caretaker. I certainly realize how lucky I am that my husband didn't bail on me when my health and mobility went down hill. It's great to know that there are still men like that around...not many people of either sex go so far to honor the "In sickness or in health" part of the marriage vows. I can tell that he does this without expecting to be praised for it every day, although it sounds like his family all thank God for him every day. What a wonderful person to know...and especially to have for a parent.

As a parent I'm sure that your nomination surprised him...but he deserves to be honored for all he does and for teaching all of you what a "real man" is...strong, tender, and nourishing.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook