Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cure or cope with depression
4 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2010 - 7:48PM #1
Kodiacman

I guess this question is perhaps more personal rather than rhetorical but I do wonder if depression is something that can be cured...whatever that is. or the more plausible aspect of managing it. It is not that I do not want to think that there are not things that can be cured, I never want to give up hope, but I do not want to live in never never land either. I have invested in careers and relationships that ended up being smashed on the rocks. This has a way of dimishing ones hopes and aspirations. The bounding optimism of youthfulness is a bit more tamed and demure as a result of having investments and hopes not pan out.

I want hope but I do not want unreality and investing and clinging to false hope(s)...that just does not seem healthy or practical. I find that I do not necessarily want to change life as much as I want to learn how to thrive in it. This leads me to the ideal of not trying to cure my struggle with depression but to manage it and cope with it. I have many persons who are in my faith that want to 'fix' everything and I just do not see that being practical or realistic. I know that this is a jumble of thoughts that may or may not be coherent as I did just sit dowm and let it go but I hopefully am communicating the struggle I have. I will try to summarize the noise into something coherent.

Is it practical or healthy to advocate something that is not assured? I am always trying to get better instead of enjoying where I am....I see this as being a false hope and if I am not 'better' then where am I? worse off than before. I am of the opinion that coping is a far more advantageous platform as it minimizes the risks and always leaves room for striving to get better while not having the overwhelming pressures that comes with the idea that I 'have to get better.' When I fail, and I will how do I deal with that sense of worthnessness and the bitter self-loathing that comes with an honest struggle and a real shortcoming?

hopefully this makes sense and I invite your comments. I think coping is a better mechanism, as opposed to advocating a cure. I guess what do you think? 

blessings mark

If someone wants to doubt the existence of Jesus, my experience is that no evidence or argument will change his mind. Such is the nature of skepticism.~Editor fourth R
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2010 - 11:57PM #2
Ageo

Apr 12, 2010 -- 7:48PM, Kodiacman wrote:

I guess this question is perhaps more personal rather than rhetorical but I do wonder if depression is something that can be cured...whatever that is. or the more plausible aspect of managing it. It is not that I do not want to think that there are not things that can be cured, I never want to give up hope, but I do not want to live in never never land either. I have invested in careers and relationships that ended up being smashed on the rocks. This has a way of dimishing ones hopes and aspirations. The bounding optimism of youthfulness is a bit more tamed and demure as a result of having investments and hopes not pan out.

I want hope but I do not want unreality and investing and clinging to false hope(s)...that just does not seem healthy or practical. I find that I do not necessarily want to change life as much as I want to learn how to thrive in it. This leads me to the ideal of not trying to cure my struggle with depression but to manage it and cope with it. I have many persons who are in my faith that want to 'fix' everything and I just do not see that being practical or realistic. I know that this is a jumble of thoughts that may or may not be coherent as I did just sit dowm and let it go but I hopefully am communicating the struggle I have. I will try to summarize the noise into something coherent.

Is it practical or healthy to advocate something that is not assured? I am always trying to get better instead of enjoying where I am....I see this as being a false hope and if I am not 'better' then where am I? worse off than before. I am of the opinion that coping is a far more advantageous platform as it minimizes the risks and always leaves room for striving to get better while not having the overwhelming pressures that comes with the idea that I 'have to get better.' When I fail, and I will how do I deal with that sense of worthnessness and the bitter self-loathing that comes with an honest struggle and a real shortcoming?

hopefully this makes sense and I invite your comments. I think coping is a better mechanism, as opposed to advocating a cure. I guess what do you think? 

blessings mark

A man wandered through the desert with a truck.  His radiator hose broke.  He coped by wrapping the hose with duct tape.  He later repaired the problem properly, so that he might enjoy more travels down the road.

A woman loses her mother.  She feels sorrow, and lament for what she did not say before the loss of her mother.  She copes by drinking alcohol and sleeping.  The alcohol and excessive sleep inhibit her mind, and she pushes away the problem for a time.  Let us say that she looks to the intentions in her tree of knowledge and seeks fulfillment, much as the man that sees the broken radiator hose.  The tree is damaged or broken, thus it must be repaired, and pent up.

1. desire to tell mom many things

1.1 Why do I want her to know this?

1.1.1 So that she knows that I love her.

1.1.1.1 Why do I want her to know that I love her?

1.1.1.1.1 So that she went in peace.

1.1.1.1.2 So that I feel that she knows I truly regret some things, and did not savor the moments.  To let her know that I care so deeply about her.

1.1.1.1.2.1 Why do I want her to know these things?

1.1.1.1.2.1.1 I did not share them, and I wish I had.

1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1 Why do I wish I had shared the good words with her?

1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1 To give her love, and help her know how much I appreciate her.  To let her know that I did not keep bitter hate, and loved her deeply.

1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.1 Can I do anything about this in reality now?

1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1 No.  I can help those that live now!

Thus, let the dead bury their own.  Fulfill the good intentions with the living.  For any that are lost, are lost.  If they were to look upon the living they would say "Help those living!  Do not lament me!  Enjoy the moments of your life without tears and sorrow!"

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2010 - 5:28PM #3
Green.is.my.favorite.color

Greetings, Mark,

A diagnoses of clinical depression takes a bit of time to arrive at. And it can be done only with professionals - self diagnoses doesn't work. Been there. Done that.

I have not heard about clinical depression that can be "cured," per se. But there are many techniques and medications to help mitigate depression's affect on  quality of life.

There are many behavioral routes and other physical techniques (thought field therapy, also called "tapping"). These have been helpful to me in the past.

I do take medications to help keep my "ship righted."

If you suffer, you owe it to yourself, your friends, and your family, to seek out the help of a professional. This is not meant as a guilt trip, but rather, insight to my situation.

The short answer is that I've found it managable, but not curable.

Wishing you peace upon your path.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2010 - 12:27AM #4
Kodiacman

Apr 14, 2010 -- 5:28PM, Green.is.my.favorite.color wrote:

Greetings, Mark,

A diagnoses of clinical depression takes a bit of time to arrive at. And it can be done only with professionals - self diagnoses doesn't work. Been there. Done that.

I have not heard about clinical depression that can be "cured," per se. But there are many techniques and medications to help mitigate depression's affect on  quality of life.

There are many behavioral routes and other physical techniques (thought field therapy, also called "tapping"). These have been helpful to me in the past.

I do take medications to help keep my "ship righted."

If you suffer, you owe it to yourself, your friends, and your family, to seek out the help of a professional. This is not meant as a guilt trip, but rather, insight to my situation.

The short answer is that I've found it managable, but not curable.

Wishing you peace upon your path.

thank you green,

I did muddle through a bit of a funk after my divorce and I was on meds for about a year and I was able to get through the rough patch as it were. This 'season' of my life is a bit hectic and I am scheduled to see a counselor to see what is the next step. I do very much appreciate your advice and encouragement as you are confirming that what I am doing is the next logical step to deal with seems to be a bit more than what I can deal with on my own.

blessings

If someone wants to doubt the existence of Jesus, my experience is that no evidence or argument will change his mind. Such is the nature of skepticism.~Editor fourth R
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2010 - 9:05AM #5
Green.is.my.favorite.color

Mark,

I concur with your self-assessment!

Well done and best of luck - my sense is you'll do fine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2010 - 11:36AM #6
Nay_ho_tze
Hi Kodiacman 

Welcome ...
It's nice to meet you -

You write:  I do wonder if depression is something
that can be cured...whatever that is...

Surprisingly, depression is very responsive to nutritional intake ...
the B-complex vitamins are all about mental health and our sense of wellbeing...
sadly, these vitamins are water soluble and need to be replenished daily -
which the American diet rarely does ...
hence, IMO, the huge presence of depression in this country...

That said, I invite you to
click here to access our Nutritional Support thread
for more details as well as info on self-help,

Also, the Newcomer's Corner is a treasure trove
of resources on managing depression and/or mental illness...

I'm sorry life's being unkind at the moment ...
'best practical advice: look to your diet

NHT
host
=]
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2010 - 9:58AM #7
Virtuous1

I believe in my heart that depression can be cured. It does take time but I can only speak for me. About seven years ago I was diagnosed with being depressed. My doctor put me on medicine and we all know what the medicine can and it's side effects are like.

I hated the fact that I had no control over my life I even hated life at that time. But thank God I had a mother who kept praying for me. She was with me through this she was my support, I can remember many days I would call her and cry for nothing I kept complaining of how I hated feeling like this. It seem as though I never had a good day where I could go and do anything.

But during my depression I never once stop going to church. I know many who read this might think why you went to church? I went to church because I knew that the only person that can help me and give me deliverance and strength was Jesus Christ Himself.

And after months of being depressed and praying and relying on God I received the strength that I needed and I every day I began to see it a little brighter then the day before. Before I knew it I was actually wanting to take short walks around my community, I was beginning to feel like myself.

THen the big day came I was no longer taking the medicine my doctor gave me she took me off the medicine and those side effects was no longer there with me. I was cured by Jesus Christ.

Depression is not a joke it makes every person feel different but there is hope and deliverance from it. I am a living witness of the power of Almighty God. And from that time I have been sharing my story with everyone I meet.

The first time I told people they looked at me like I had two heads because they could not understand how can a person who serve the Lord be depressed? My answer to them was you keep living life and you will see what you will go through. Because none of us are exempt from anything.

God allowed me to go through it so I can help those who will come in my path. And I thank Him for allowing me to go through it because over the years I have meet some wonderful people who was in a place where I once was and now they themselves are delivered from depression.

That was my story I pray that it helps who ever is reading it and lift your spirits to let you know that you are not bound by depression or any other mental disorder.

AMEN

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint...Isaiah 40:31
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2010 - 11:02AM #8
Nay_ho_tze
Howdy Virtuous1 -

Welcome to Depression Support,
this is a multi-faith forum,
and all spiritual paths are equally respected here,
with no single path more dominant than another.

Depression is not a one size fits all type of deal.
Clinical studies have demonstrated
that depression can be situational,
typically following some sort of life event
(a death, divorce, new baby, etc.) ...
it can also be from a chemical imbalance
in a person's chemical make-up
which only responds to medicines -
to suggest that these folks may go off their meds
can put many of them and their families
in immediate life and death danger.

Again, we thank you for sharing your story,
but know that each person must walk his/her own path,
as guided by his/her own heart.

NHT
host
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2010 - 2:09AM #9
Kartari

Hi Mark,

I am not a professional, but I am most definitely quite experienced with severe depression.  Imo it is better to cope and manage depression, and to resort to meds only when all else fails.  I don't know if it can be cured in all cases, I suppose it is certainly at least possible.

I feel that depression is our natural way of dealing with the pain and suffering we have experienced.  We can in time come to ride through and out of our dark times, and should not fear the darkness.  It is healthy to feel our feelings honestly, even brutally so, imo.  But it is also healthy, in time, to learn to detach from ourselves and our problems, to cease clinging to what becomes a dead weight anchoring us to the pits of despair.  To let it be what it is, to let what has happened simply be, and to be in the moment as it is, dropping the past and its baggage.  I find too that simply accepting the depression as it is, without judging it bad or whatever, really helps me keep a more detached and sane perspective.

Otoh, I understand that it could also simply be a chemical imbalance, in which case maybe meds are more appropriate... I don't really know.  I just know about the kind of depression described in my previous paragraph.

Not to push religion on anyone, but studying Buddhism is what helped me a lot in dealing with my own life-long depression.  I've suffered from periods of severe and lesser depression most of my life, and taking a Buddhist perspective has kept me not only alive but relatively sane and happier amidst the insanity.  Seeing a psychologist is a viable means of help too (incidentally, Carl Jung was greatly influenced by Buddhist philosophy, as its study is really a study of the mind, psychology and the joyful cessation of self-imposed suffering at its heart).

I do not personally understand the connection between faith in God and relief from depression Virtuous describes.  But if that helps you, I'm all for it.  Whatever works.

Best wishes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2010 - 8:56PM #10
sixth step phobia

There are two types of depression

Clinical - see doctor get meds

Existential - This form has a reason and taking meds or drugs or sex or shopping is just avoidance and doesnt work, in fact the psuedo happiness brought on by such things creates deeper unhapiness when they are over

Usually the reason for existential depression is obscured the reason behind this is the subconscious mind is usually aware long before the conscious mind that some form of "giving up" is required it may be youth or letting your kids grow up in most cases it represents a "little death" to the ego

The ultimate existential depression is the impending annihillation of the self "death" and this depression or as i like to call it "spiritual crisis" is the hardest but going through it brings you to the joyfull, content  and spacious spiritual realm of acceptance

Sadly most people die in the three stages of denial anger or bargaining as going through the depression is too painfull (see kubler-ross) Obviously dying in one of these stages will prevent any chance of recognizing your eternal nature and you will be reborn back into the suffering

So yes existential depression can be cured

No, clinical depression cannot be cured but it can be arrested and once under control then you can start to distinguish between the underlying clinical depression and the existential depression created by the conscious mind and its resistance to reality

For more information see two of the greatest books on consciousness in the last thousand years The road less travelled M Scott Peck and more importantly the power of now Eckhart Tolle

Or if you want to go to the source The tao te chig by lao-tse

Good luck and god bless

Spiritual awakening is awakening from the dream of thought
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook