Switch to Forum Live View when are they really old enough?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 4:49PM #1
Jayben

so i'm at the stage in life that the kids are growing up and starting to move away...it's been tough because we have been a real close family and shared a lot of experiences together. as my older children leave the house, however, the two youngest always nag us when they can start "growing up"...when should i allow them to start acting like grown ups?

Moderated by Rebecca on Nov 24, 2009 - 01:28PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2009 - 10:24PM #2
StillSearching4aGod

When they are old enough to pay their own bills...I was dumb enough to co-sign on an apartment and car for one of my kids...guess who's paycheck got garnished?

I'll NEVER do that again...EVER...if they have jobs, they can get cell phones and start establishing credit...there comes a time when it's time to let go. You gave them roots, now give them wings and let them fly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2009 - 10:03PM #3
Anastasia59

My children started working as teenagers.  Since I am on disability, they had to use their money to buy the extras for themselves.  As they got older or earned more money, I taught them to take more responsibility for themselves.  I did not take money for food or rent, but if they wanted extra phone options, they had to pay their part.  If they wanted to drive the care, they had to pay their part of the insurance and contribute for gas, a set amt each wk except when gas prices were really high they had to contribute more.  Since they were driving to work, it was fair and they got to drive around a little.  Do you get the idea?  They gradually got more priviledges to go w/ the responsibilities.  12 seems like a good age to start teaching them to get more independent so that by 18, I hoped they wouldn't make the more common mistakes.  They did make mistakes, that's part of growing up, but they are self supporting.  Not a lavish lifestyle, but self supporting.  The bad part was when they were 16 and thought they knew it all already.  Sound like a typical kid?  Does this help?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook