Switch to Forum Live View How can you find out what really is safe and effective treatment???
5 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2009 - 5:10PM #1
Dreamweever2

When searching for effective treatment for Lumbar Facet Syndrome, I came across a non traditional treatment called Prolotherapy. I did a little checking into this treatment, and had some concerns. I contacted the clinic nearest to where I live that does this therapy. It looks like some scary stuff. They use things that are natural, but they inject them into the ligaments in the back and the sacroilliac areas involving between 80-100 injections per treatment. Watching the video, it looked like someone being attacked by a massive nest of angry hornets. The doctor was repeatedly stabbing the patient over and over, all the while talking about how he was hardly flinching. When I contacted the clinic, I asked about pain medication used during the procedure. I was informed that they use "conscious sedation" which is a warning flag for me. It's really bad in today's world when some people are suffering and desperate for help. When the traditional medical community has completely damaged your trust like has happened to me, how do you know where to turn? In the large scheme of things, I'm just one person. My survival, or not, is insignificant. The problem is that the things that have happened to me, can and do happen to others. One thing I want to caution others about....ANYTIME you are told prior to a procedure that they will be giving you "conscious sedation" ASK QUESTIONS. Ask what it is, and what function it serves. It is NOT a pain medication. Be informed before you are at anyone's mercy, and don't just trust that what is being done will be helpful to you. Some things are done for the convenience of the practitioner, "conscious sedation" is one of these types of things, and is used in traditional as well as non traditional practice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2009 - 7:08AM #2
Teknmage

Ultimately pain is there for a reason. It hurts to warn us. Anytime we block pain, we are depriving ourselves of a warning.

In our day we have the ability to block pain reception. We can cut nerves and totally block the reception of pain impulses ~ however that does not mean you will not experience pain. I am an amputee, parts of me have been removed surgically. There are no nerves there anymore. In my case that does not mean I do not wake up in the middle of the night with pain from that part of me that has been amputated. The pain is not real in one sense, and yet in another it is real enough to wake me.... There are times when I experience a sense of feeling or realness from the parts of me that have been amputated that is far more real than the sense I experience from any other part of me.

I am aware this does not directly address your question. I guess my point here is twofold. One be aware that if you truly hurt anyone guaranteeing that they can remove your pain totally is being less than fully truthful with you, IMHO. Second what seems a good deal today to end the pain, may well in the future have unseen consequences.

For drug safety never take a drug that has been on the market less than 6 years, unless you believe you will die in less than six yeas from not taking it. Generally for most drugs after six years one can search and find out how many people claim to have died or been hurt from taking the drug. IMHO a far more reliable indication of how safe the drug may or may not be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2009 - 10:34PM #3
Dreamweever2

Teknmage,

Thank you so much for your response. I was sorry to hear about your experience.

I'm familiar with nerve cutting, well, in my case they have been burned with a lazer. They do grow back, and each time they are harder for the doctor to find when they are trying to burn them again. I keep seeking, trying to find more effective treatment. In 2008, they had burned the nerves in on one side of my spine. I was waiting the two week period in between to get the other side done, and 8 days into the waiting period, I ended up having two strokes. Everytime they had done that procedure on me, they used "conscious sedation" which is only an amnesiac drug. The pain experienced during the burning of the sensory nerves is unreal. The drug didn't work on me. After doing some research on it, there have even been cases of patients who were opened up on the operating table that tried to get up off of the table while under it's influence. I think being kept awake and enduring that pain is what led to the strokes. Because of my age, and running all the tests that followed, they never could find the reason that the strokes happened. The bad thing is that when they are going to do something like that, they don't explain to you that it's going to be bad or extremely rough to go through. You find out when it's too late to back out of it....it's already going on. For me, I'm no longer able to work, and I'm still fairly young. I keep seeking help because I hope to be able to to return to work and even school at some point. I can only sit for any length of time in a reclined position, and I can't stand or walk for too long. I use a laptop, either in my recliner or next to me on my bed. It's kind of hard to lead a life anything close to normal like this. For day to day help, I don't use pain meds until the nerves have grown back in and are really bad to deal with. I usually end up on Neurontin and muscle relaxers at that point.

I know this all sounds whiney. Sometimes I come to this board to vent. That was what was going on when I started this thread. I had gotten an email from the clinic that does "prolotherapy", and my venting led into warning people about "conscious sedation" since the doctors don't. Unfortunately, for people like you and I that deal with chronic pain, I don't know if there are any answers. I do feel bad that you are going through what you deal with. I can't imagine what that would be like.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2010 - 11:12AM #4
David

well, I do know this...as we get older, we all have our aches and pains..but the more active you are, the better you take care of yourself, quit drinking so much or not at all, eat right, get your rest, etc, the better off you'll be...and as far as I am concerned...it's mind over matter..I don't mind and little nuisances don't matter. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook