Switch to Forum Live View More disappointments
5 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2009 - 11:28PM #1
Dreamweever2

The most recent radio frequency ablation was not very effective. This was a pretty big disappointment. Prior to having it done, my primary doc told me that if it was not more helpful that I would need to consider surgery. He has been really good with me. I respect him because of the fact that he is not too proud or ego driven to admit when something is out of his realm of practice. He has no problem referring a patient to someone who specializes in one field of medicine or another. He referred me to a neurosurgeon. I had that appointment today with the neurosurgeon. This doctor has ordered an MRI to an area of my back that has never been filmed before. He is also sending me back to pain management. This was a real disappointment. I had sincerely hoped that he would be able to give me effective treatment that would be more of a "permenent fix". I was told that with my condition, there is little else that can be done. RFA is such a barbaric procedure. The medication used during this procedure is not a pain med. It's an amnesiac drug. It doesn't work on me, and I remember very clearly the extreme pain that I have when they puncture my back with that lazer and proceed to burn the inflammed irritated nerves. It's pretty horrific. The real slap in the face is when the doctor acts like you are crazy when you tell him that it's worse than the root canal from hell. After all, you aren't supposed to remember what went on, so when you do, the best course of action is to act like you are crazy. It's an insult. The doctors claim that they have to use this "conscious sedation" on you because they have to talk to you during the procedure. Ironically, the last doctor that did this on me never uttered a word before, during, or after. I felt like I was kept awake for his twisted entertainment. The thing is, this is not the first pain doctor to perform this procedure on me, and the other one was very similar in his treatment and behavior, although friendlier, no less difficult or painful. I believe the physical pain, stress, combined with the emotional stress of this procedure was the cause of my strokes. That's something I will never get a straight answer on. It was easy to write them off as unrelated to the RFA that had been done 8 days prior. They keep wanting to find lupus in me, looking to that as a reason for the strokes. Everytime they have tested for lupus, they find I don't have it. Once again today this doctor has suggested that I see a rheumatologist. Over the past year and a half, I have already been tested three times for lupus, each time it has come back negative. I'm frustrated and angry. I'm about done looking for the needle in the haystack of doctors trying to find the one that can help me. For the most part, I'm about done period.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2009 - 4:56PM #2
dpatel

(((hugs))) I hope you're feeling better now. God bless

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2009 - 11:49PM #3
Dreamweever2

Thank you dpatel. This forum is so seldom used anymore that this seemed like a good place  to vent to get the anger off of my chest. I hope you are doing well too.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook