6 years ago  ::  May 27, 2009 - 3:58PM #1
Fraserlover

Hi

My name is Julie and I'm new here.  I have a question about taking of myself.  I have two children.  My 5 year old has ceberal palsy and I have a typical 2 year old.  I'd like to have alone time to do my bible study, meditate, or whatever.  How do I do this.  Right now they are in front of the tv watching veggie tales having a snack while I'm online.  I do get some alone time but it never seems enough or I feel guilty for taking it.  Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2009 - 4:30PM #2
neverland

Hi Julie,

Welcome to Beliefnet! Your question brings back memories of raising my two kids... A few ways I can think of to get some "alone time" to regenerate are: 1. get your husband to take over for a few hours on weekends or for an hour after work.  2. Ask your mom or dad or close relative to babysit regularly.  3. Give kids a reward if they stay in their room quietly for a "rest period" (even if they don't nap, they can look at a book or draw until you come in). A mom I know allowed her kids to have a scoop of ice cream only if they took an hour's rest at the same time.  4. Hire a teenager to babysit for an hour in the afternoon.  It won't be too expensive, and you can go somewhere nearby to walk, read, or pray. 5. Realize that eventually they will both be in school. 6. Wake up 1/2 earlier than the kids (not appealing to me ;o).

Oh, and please don't feel at all guilty for needing and taking time for yourself. It's so important to your health and spirits. I know from experience how necessary this is to be a good mother, and it doesn't mean that you love your kids any less. You are important too!

Let us know how things are working out. Wishing you all the best,

Neverland

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 9:31PM #3
puzzleman

Fraiserlove I have a 15 year old autistic son that I love dearly and I am very proud of his accomplishments, but he can drive both my wife and I nuts with his OCD and autistic behaviors. I love going out in the woods and hiking trails while my wife stays with Luke. She explores libraries all over the state she loves to read books. We tag team the responsibilities to give each other a break you have to get apart before you fall apart, take care.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 4:31PM #4
Fraserlover

Thanks for the advice.  I talked to a girl at church yesterday and she is going to start babysitting my youngest.  We also got some state funded services renewed so I'll have help with my daughter this summer.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook