Switch to Forum Live View Credit where credit is due
6 years ago  ::  May 21, 2009 - 1:01AM #1
sixth step phobia

"Thus i believe the greatest positive event of the twentieth century occured in Akron Ohio on June 10 1935 when Bill W and Dr Bob convened the first AA meeting. It was not only the beginning of the self-help movement and the beginning of the integration of science and spirituality at a grass roots level, but also the beginning of the community movement."

M Scott Peck

"Further along the road less travelled"

"Chapter 8 Addiction the sacred disease"

If all else fails there is always AA

Spiritual awakening is awakening from the dream of thought
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 21, 2009 - 9:37AM #2
ODIECOM

well said.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 22, 2009 - 3:51PM #3
Agnosticspirit

Science and spirituality can no more be integrated than can religion and science. AT best, they can reconcile themselves to the fact that science and religion reside in separate realms.

At some point, however, I have more confidence in science's ability to discover why people believe than I do in religion's ability to discover why people believe. :)

As far as giving credit where credit is due..... By all means, a reminder is in order.

For those who have struggled to overcome addiction and succeeded, the credit belongs to YOU.

For recognizing the problem, the credit lies with YOU.

For deciding to DO something about the problem, the credit lies with YOU.

For your freedom from addiction, the credit lies with YOU. Laughing

(((( hugs and well wishes for everyone who has FREED themselves! ))))

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 22, 2009 - 6:17PM #4
cherubino

In a public speech in Concord, NH about a dozen years ago, M. Scott Peck admitted in front of a couple of hundred people that he had a problem with alcohol, adding, "... I should probably go to AA." The remark, as related to me by a friend who was in the audience that night, was greeted with more laughter than applause. Surely, Dr. Peck was kidding, right? Right. That's how the audience took it.

This to me raises a fascinating question. What if Peck was telling the truth? What if he really was a garden-variety drunk like the rest of us? I've never heard or read that he ever went to AA, but what if he had? And what affect might that have had on his legacy as one of the most beloved psycho-spiritual gurus of modern times?

But maybe the most intriguing question is, what if he really was half in the bag when he wrote all those wonderful books?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2009 - 2:28AM #5
andrewcyrus

If the road is less traveled then does that mean that faith has not been exercised or that gravity really sucks and all humanity is addicted to the grave, and thoroughly drunk by the endless rotation of the earth?

Ya see the road is traveled by all of us 24 hours a day till we meet the grave..

Oh yes then what  - faith or not.

Choice is spiritual whether we like it or not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2009 - 1:00AM #6
sixth step phobia

AS I am finding there is some paradoxical nature to my recovery that has some kind of mixture of my works and my faith??

Yet this mixture is itself paradoxical like the notion of jesus being human and divine

Not 50% of each but 100% human and 100% divine??

Cherubino it is a scary thought but having read most of scott pecks books he was so exposed to consiousness through his elucidation that he used alcohol from 5 pm onwards (not while writing) to find releif from that same consciousness that he exposed to the world through his writings

He related to the likes of winston churchill who said

"Alcohol has given me much more than it has taken away"

Yet at the end of his life maybe the great taker "alcohol" exacted its revenge as his wife left him and his children barely talked to him??

His life was an enigma and a paradox in itself

"I may be a prophet but im definitely not a saint"

M. Scott Peck 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2009 - 9:15AM #7
cherubino

Ray,

Much like Robert Frost who had his own semi-secret trysts with alcohol, and who famously quipped, "I am not a teacher, but an awakener." I loved reading both Peck and Frost in early sobriety, and there were several copies of "Road Less Traveled" floating around the rehab where I got sober. And after all, the title of that book iself is borrowed from Frost.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2009 - 7:50PM #8
sixth step phobia

Yep, He even admitted himself that the road was not saying anything new yet it came at a time when people were ready to awaken

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2009 - 8:36PM #9
Kapha44

May 25, 2009 -- 7:50PM, sixth step phobia wrote:

Yep, He even admitted himself that the road was not saying anything new yet it came at a time when people were ready to awaken

I read somewhere that The Road Less Travelled was CG Jung translated for the masses. It's time for me to reread the book again. I'm sure I'll pick up a lot more this time. I read the book 14 years ago.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2009 - 9:53PM #10
sixth step phobia

It is one of those rare books that is alive and reaches out to the reader and beckons "transformation"

I have read it through six times and each time it is fresh

The only other book i have read since then that has had that transformative power is "the power of now" Eckhart tolle

And ofcourse the big book of AA but unless you are alcoholic there is no need for transformation in that area and it will seem quite absurd

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook