Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 8:13PM #1
Dreamweever2

So, I finally get the courage to get set up with a new pain doc. I sat down with the phone book this morning to get started with my search. I find 4 listings for pain management doctors. The first one was...not an option. The second one mainly does cortizone injections...those don't work for me. The third one was a disconnected number with no forwarding number listed. The last one it took a chain of 4 different numbers to finally reached his office. The woman that I talked to said that I will need a referal before they will set an appointment. I have never had to have a referal before. Now I have to see my GP just to get an appointment set. This is bothering me. The last time I had the nerves burned, 8 days later I had 2 strokes. It's been my experience in life, when there are roadblocks, it's best not to proceed. After I had talked to the last office, I called my GP and set an appointment for tomorrow evening. I had a couple of things I planned to talk to him about and planned to get the referal at that time. This really isn't sitting right with me, and it's not because of issues with doctors, or even the strokes after the last time. It's that just trying to set this up to just be seen for an evalutaion, and meet the new doc was so difficult. This should not have been the case. One example, today I had a tooth pulled. I called this past Thursday to set up with the oral surgeon. The oral surgeon that I had went to in the past is no longer with them. They set me up with another one. It was fast and easy. They got me in quick. It was pulled easily and no need even for antibiotics. Everything fell into place, and couldn't have gone any smoother. I guess I just needed to vent a little, and sort out what is happening. I just wish this wasn't so complicated, and was not so unnerving...  

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2009 - 1:46PM #2
dpatel

whatever happens I hope everything goes ok. God bless

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2009 - 2:54PM #3
Dreamweever2

(((hugs))), thank you dpatel.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 7:18PM #4
Dreamweever2

I'm really frustrated, and a little freaked out too. I went to my primary care doc two days ago. He was going to have his office find a pain doc for a referal for me. They have not called me back yet. I am begining to think that this is not the direction I am supposed to be going. I called an office that does accupuncture today to talk to them to see if that is an option for me, and had to leave a message. I hope they call back. I had a tooth pulled three days ago, and they prescribed Vicodin HP. It's 10-660. I've only taken two of them, and that was the day the tooth was pulled. The pain from the middle of my ribcage down is really gnawing at me today more so than usual. I have been fighting the temptation to take another Vicodin. In some ways it helps, but then in others it really doesn't. I guess the best way to describe it is to say that it's more likely that it distracts my attention from the pain, rather than reducing it. I really hope that some kind of direction comes for me soon to address this. I don't do well with trying to just live with it. I've been doing that for a long time now. The nerves have grown back since the last radio frequency ablation was done. I hate taking pain meds, they just really don't help that much with nerve pain. Sorry about venting, I just need to get this out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2009 - 11:34AM #5
karbie

My old family doctor's "solution" to my chronic pain was to put "NO PAIN MEDS" at the top of my chart. I found my pain doctor myself by calling my insurance to find out who I could go to. He uses everything from accupuncture on; we've even discussed things that could be from a past life. I was just very lucky because I got in so soon I hadn't gotten their new patient forms to fill in first. Someone had just cancelled an appointment before I called and I got the one they had with Dr.Bressi. I did bring in a hand written one with a medical history..that was 4 and a half surgeries ago. I'd hate to think what the bone spur on my spine would have done by now.

If the pain in your side feels like you either have a stitch in your side that won't go away or someone has a knife sticking in you, that can be related to fibromyalgia. I think you can guess how I know that! Used to be one side and a steak knife; right now it's both and a butcher knife in the original problem area.

If we have to get something for having been injured in the past, I'd prefer money, flowers, or even a good book to curl up and read...not a bonus condition. I hope you hear from them very soon because mine has made my life at least endurable. I even got down to a #6 pain level for a few months a few years ago.

At least more doctors understand that we don't hurt because we are depressed, we're depressed because we hurt. Warmer days will come and we'll have green grass, sunshine, and blue skies to lift our spirits and ease our joints.

Hugs anywhere they won't hurt!

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2009 - 9:45PM #6
Dreamweever2

Hi Karbie. Things are getting more and more frustrating on my end. I am at a point that I feel like I just have to take a break from looking for any treatment now. Maybe in another week or two I can start again. I got hit with some news today that has me feeling overwhelmed. Everything combined seems more than I can handle at once. Right now I'm just trying to keep myself as together as I can for the sake of the kids. If it weren't for them, I don't know if I could keep going, but because of them, I have no choice. My dog is bouncing around in front of me barking. I gotta go let him out. I'll be checking back in over the weekend. Sending you ((hugs)) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 1:45AM #7
karbie

I do understand. Sometimes we have only so much energy and too many places to put it. When your dog needs to go out, it can't cross his legs until you have time to let him/her out. We put our kids first so we can sure that their needs are met and put taking care of ourselves further down on the list as long as we can.

I had added incentives on getting into pain management--for one, I was tired of having my sister and mother keep nagging me about doing it. My sister diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, not my doctor--she just confirmed it. I actually yelled at her that visit, because while I was visiting from out-of-state, my mother's car was totalled by an SUV.  I took care of them alone for a week until my nephew could bring his stuff up from Florida to take over and all I had for pain relief was OTC garbage. It was when my doctor asked me what I'd been doing for pain through all that I yelled "NOTHING!! Because YOU put NO PAIN MEDS on my chart!!"  Her line of reasoning was that I was taking them too often when 30 Tylenol 3's didn't last 60 days.

My pain doctor gave me prescriptions that first day. He said that making people suffer like that should be a criminal offense when help was available. After he ran tests and found out how bad I was, he actually apologized for telling me he thought he could get me pain free. He's also the one who got me the handicapped parking sticker--and I held off on that until I was in a round of physical therapy and the therapist took all the paper work to him and said I needed it.

I learned the hard way not to use pain in place of energy, but I do use the stubborness  I was born with to keep going sometimes. I KNOW that I won't run out of that!

Good luck on your meeting, and if you get a choice between calling a doctor and a nap, it's okay to take the nap. I've told Mother that was her problem--she was trying to get me to take them too early in my life! I've been willing to take them ever since I had a child..and he gave them up at 2 years old. Have a good weekend and I hope you get a pain remission soon!

Hugs!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 9:08AM #8
miasma

Hello,nice to read you two,that doesn't really sound right,but I am certainly not alone.Yes you certainly seem to have to jump through hoops sometimes.Pain meds.-different strokes for different folks.I understand  what Dreamweaver means about certain meds take something from you,I have been trying to change mine But insurance for pain management  is not easy to find for me.So I take what I am given and consider myself lucky that I can move around for more than 5 to 15 min. Can actually do an hour or more(couple of stops)  Can do gardening,clean house,and my artwork. 2 DR. appt. next week,shaking in my bare feet,but 44 tulips uo and budding,may visit again?  Well as well can be to yoiu. Miasma

mismia
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 4:52PM #9
karbie

Hi Miasma,

I understand what you meant--it's hard to describe "seeing/meeting" people through the posts. I'm doing a little better after begging for relief from PM--I'm doing a combined arrthritis /fibromyalgia flare so they gave me some steroids to calm things down. I can't take asprin, ibuprofen, or aleve so it isn't much fun when your joints puff up and your bones are on fire. They felt red-hot...so I guess I've gone to medium rare bones from still on the animal.  At least it will cut down on my making long posts.

I'm glad you can move around--just getting something done when I can makes me feel like I'm not useless. Of course a snail could beat me in a race, but it's amazing how some sunshine and having my pain level drop a notch can do for my spirits. Here's hoping we all have our pain levels plummet instead of our energy levels!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2009 - 9:19PM #10
Dreamweever2

Oh (((Karbie))), I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I sure hope the meds have started to help. I know it isn't easy being on them either. I've had to do the courses of prednisone for breathing issues at times, and it can be pretty rough. I know of something that might help some, but it would be good to check with your doc first. My mom had both, osteo and rheumatiod arthritis. Her Rheumatologist had her taking Glucosamine Condroitin (he and his staff also took it) to help her joints. I don't know if that is something you might be able to take. She had had both knees and hips replaced, they had tried to straighten out her fingers because they had  deformed from joint degeneration, along with other places on her body. That Glucosamine is something that is sold over the counter where they have vitamin supplements. Over time, building it up in your system may possibly help lessen the flair ups of joint issues if it's something you can take. I want to help in any way I can. I'm keeping you in my prayers.

Sue 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook