Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View New to the group but not to chronic pain
3 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 11:40PM #11
karbie

I think that the hardest thing to deal with about pain is the fact we always expect something to work well enough to make it stop. If we are lucky to at least have it drop a few levels--I know when someone asks me what my pain level is on a 1-10 scale the answer would be 11 if they'd accept it.

I have some idea about your arthritis pain--mine isn't rhematoid, but I make up for that by having it all over. I'm just over a 2 year flare that forced me to stop wearing my wedding rings. I was just lucy to get them off without having them cut off. It was agony using my hands for anything. The flare finally stopped last month.

Are you seeing a Pain Management doctor? My previous family doctor had on my chart not to give me any pain killers because I went through them too fast. Gee, 30 pills for 60 days?

I want to thank you for serving our country in the Gulf War, by the way. It hardly seems fair to risk your life there and then continue to suffer after it.

I'd like you to check out the Depression Support group--most of us there are depressed due to constant pain and when one of us is in a bind, we all can at least offer the support of someone who understands both the pain and the fall-out it takes in our lives. Humor helps; one vet refers to his physical conditions as alphabet soup; mine is  that my body and I have a dysfunctional relationship. I want to do so much more than my body can  do that it gets very, very frustrating.

I've got a Silver Anniversary this week; that's how long I've been in pain except for being knocked out for surgeries.

I can keep things together when I'm awake, but when I go to sleep all the moans, cries, and whimpers come out. I'm sorry that I bother the family when I have a bad night, but there's not much I can do about it. Our son is married now; I used to stay awake the night before he had big tests to increase his chance of being rested.

I've used hypnosis for weight loss in the past and it worked; I'd advise a subliminal tape. Anything you can do to help your body relax will help with the pain. One way to relax the joints is to clinch everything as tightly as you can, even going up on tiptoe if you can, while taking ina deep breat.Then let it out and let loose of every place you have clenched at the same time.

When all else fails and you'd like to bite someone's head off, find an internet site or thread and find someone to argue with. So many pompous targets, so little time...

It keeps me from lashing out, at any rate. I you do go to the Depression  forum, the front desk will give you an overview of most of us. I've found more help there than at this thread, but I try to check back when someone new posts here. there are a lot of caring, compassionate, supportive people over there. Please check it out.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 10:52PM #12
Lowyatar

Thank you Karbie!  I really appreciate all of your kind words and suggestions.  I will check out the Depresson site as well because chronic pain does cause chronic depression.  And I also relate to you about the pain pills.  I tell them that they are not enough and they refer me to a social worker.  I ask for a referral to a Pain Clinic and they ask me what for!  It is getting a bit tedious which is really odd because I usually get the best care at.

Thank you again!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2011 - 2:39PM #13
Emmanuelle

Hey, is anybody there? I'm new to Beliefnet and just read the posts (the thread?) on chronic pain. Very helpful-- I can relate to so much. But the last posts were a couple months ago. (Maybe, like me, sometimes it just takes too much energy to sit at the computer? I just got a laptop, so I'm hoping I can stay more current in my own correspondence ... Wink) I'd love to see a conversation start up again. Anybody interested??? (I have Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and myalgic-encephalomyalitis-- commonly called "chronic fatigue syndrome".  Thanks for being there--

Blessings, Emmanuelle

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 3:39PM #14
karbie

Dear Emanuelle,

Welcome to beliefnet! I'm sorry we have so much in common when it comes to pain...this certainly isn't where I had planned to be in my life. At least most doctors have figured out they had it backward---depression doesn't cause pain, No, pain creates depressionbecause there are so many things we want to do that our body doesn't agree with. I have a dysfunctual relationship with my body. I want it to function and it doesn't agree with me.

The most active forum is over on the depression forum. there are a lot of warm, caring, and supportive group of people I've met in a long time. We fluculate--sometimes we give support, and sometimes we're the one who needs it. You can get an idea of the general group by looking over the Front Desk thread. Don't be afraid to jump in. Some people have been there for years, months, etc. One woman followed the posts for a year before she decided to trust us enough to post.

You can always tell mine. I always write more than I planned on. I hope to see you there!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2011 - 6:59PM #15
Paganprincess

I have had fibromyalgia for years and one thing that has helped me is to organize about four outfits complete with everything I need to look nice including jewelry.  When I am having a bad time of it and need to go someplace I can wear one of these outfits and know I look as good as I can.  Personally if I don't feel good and look awful I am more depressed.  So when I don't feel good, but still look okay I feel better.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2011 - 8:33PM #16
karbie

That's a great idea! When my son was getting married, I had been hospitalized less than a month before it and hadn't been up to shopping before that. So i ended up wearing the same dress I'd gottten for his high school graduation. When i walked back to see my soon to be daughter-in-law, i discovered that the red in my dress and the short sleeve jacket exactly matched the bridemaids dresses. It certainly gave me a boost to be wearing something the right shade after she'd given me first color choice over her mother.

When you are feeling like crap, it helps not to have to reflect it in what you've got on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2011 - 2:03AM #17
LuvBear

Hi! I have lived with some sort of pain since I was 19. I am 61 now. I have Scoliosis and have arthritic spurs on my spine. I had my right knee replaced almost 5 yrs. ago because of arthritic spurs.

I have suffered from migraines since I was 19 or 20 also. I just started to actually deal with those in 2006. I mean with real medicine, not Extra Strenght Excedrin. :)

In 2006 I took a Chronic Pain class that was  helpful but found I needed to retake it so I am now in the process of taking it again. They teach you exercises, plus other ways to cope like meditation thru tapes, music etc. They also have you do relaxation techniques and teach you many things that you find are causing you to have the pain.

After I am done with this class they are having me sign up for Bio-Feedback. It will be a 4 week/1 day a week class. They think this will be good for me.

I have tried acupunture but it didn't work for me. Some people it works very well, others it doesn't work it all. I also just learned about acu-pressure which I found very interesting.

Another thing is (I am with Kaiser Heath Ins.) They offer what is called a Tens Unit. It is this little thing that runs on a 9 volt battery. It has wires that come from it and are connected to 4 pads. You put the pads on either side of your spine, if you have back pain or other places on your body. Then you turn on the small machine and it pulses or waves to the spot that is bothering you. You can run it 1/2 hr. up to 2 hrs. depending on what works the best for your pain. It really does a good job at helping with your pain. This class works at dealing with your pain WITHOUT drugs if possible.

They also offer a swimming pool that is indoors. Actually it isn't connected to Kaiser but they will give you the prescription to use one. The temp. is around 80 degrees and they say this is really good for your back and pain problems.

I have found that my belief in God helps as leaning on Him when things get tough makes my days easier. He went thru the biggest pain hanging on the cross and dying for us. I remember that when I am having a day with pain.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook