Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Another Caregiving Newbie
9 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 11:46AM #11
cinbad38
I just love to see all these people taking care of there loved ones! I know its hard! I started Taking care of an elderly woman as a Job last February.The She has Alzheimer’s, Just turned 96 years old. Her Son lived right down the road. But they did not want to take her out of her home, or put her in a home. I was out of a job, And my girlfriend who runs a in home care business asked me if i would be interested, these are friends of hers. I Really didnt think this was something i could do. I was very scared really. I watched my grandma die from this. And it was very hard to see her let alone take care of her. But I went and met her, I fell in love with this woman! # months later i landed a good job i couldnt pass up, and knowing that taking care of my new friend would be temporary. So i took the job, But told the family i couldnt just quit her! so i work with her every monday night. and every saturday! I just couldnt not! while i was with her full time. i got to know her through pics and talking with the family. there was a dear friend of hers that is still living, sends cards and photos. so i inquired about her. found her phone #. called her up. and set up a tea date at the other womans house, they had not seen each other in 8 -10 years. it was AMAZING! to see the sparkle in there eyes seeing each other again. listening to them talk about there weekly lunch dates they used to have...OH the stories!!! We do this every other sat now....In november i had a birthday party for them, one was turning 95, the other 96...it was fabulous!!! Now looking forward to out christmas party we are going to have! I fell soooo privalaged to have these two women in my life! very very special! even thou from Sid dont remember the next day what we did. i know she will when we go visit the next time! Anyway. its was my experiance that made me want to read your blogs...and i think you all are very special people for what you do! I never thought it was something i had in me. But i also met a new person in myself. And i wish i would have seen this when my grandma was alive! but i do think its different when its a family member also! I do get paid for my time, but im telling you, when the money is gone, and she has to be in a home...i will still see her as much, and take her to our special tea dates!

God Bless you all!!! You are angels!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2008 - 11:03PM #12
kathymac08
Hi I am I think need help to identify if I actually qualify as a carer?
My husband is still mobile but seldom goes out now .. He finds social situations difficult because according to him "people pick on him about what he should and shouldn't be eating." So he refuses to go out anywhere...and he seldom answers the telephone ...Most times he just lets it go to message bank ...So people are concerned for me as they always see me out doing the shopping ...lugging groceries home on my own...Sometimes I accept a lift from friends if I know they won't want to pop in and see how my husband is doing...Or i will make the excuse that he is sleeping  just so they don't stop in... He just doesn't want visitors now... All this has happened in the past year his health is getting worse ..He sometimes forgets to take his pills so we have organised a pill box but he insists on keeping in his room so i cant check it...I just have to trust that he has... He is on the antidepressant Zoloft and his dose is 100mg twice daily ...He is also a diabetic 5 years and renal transplant 22 years.. So some of his problems may be associated with a combination of pills and or conditions ...But I desperately need some sort of help, I just don't know if I qualify being only 39 years of age .. Hubby is 47....I live in Australia and I am on Medicare and disability pension. The other problem is I dont know if hubby will accept my getting some help...He keeps saying we don't need anyone else to help us...
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2009 - 2:28PM #13
dpatel
God bless you and your family.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook