Switch to Forum Live View Intrpduction-Pain Story
7 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 6:35AM #1
rainbow
My name is Kathy.  I am 52, married and have two grown children.  On February 14th of this year, I took a bad fall in an icy parking lot.  My lower back hit the blacktop hard, and my shoulders landed on a high concrete curbing.  I go to a Chiropractor for lower back and neck pain from an old inhjury, and am doing fine in those areas. A couple of weeks after the fall, my shoulders began to hurt a lot.  I mentioned it to the doc but he couldn't really do anything about that.  The pain got worse, and radiated down both arms into my hands.  I complained to my regular doctor, but he did range of motion exam and "found" nothing.  The pain got worse, and stiffness began to set in because I was "babying" my sore shoulders.  Two weeks ago, I visited the doc again, because I am able to do less and less and the pain is getting worse.  He did X-rays of both shoulders, and called me the other day to announce that there were no fractures. (I didn't think there were).  He offered no other suggestions or advice.  I have gotten to the point where I can't do anything without great pain, including typong on this computer.  I found information on "frozen shoulder" and I have all the symptoms, but he "blew it off."
On Thursday, I took a written request out to his office for a physical therapy eval. (Our ins required a script from our primary care doc).  The doc won't be around until Tuesday.  I am using heat/icing and OTC pain killers, but in large amounts.  Typing this is killing me so I have to stop.  Everything I try to do is with a great deal of  pain.
I was just wondering if anyone else has ever gone through this.  We seem to need to resort to "self-diagnosis and self- treatment, because the docs of today just don't care.  If you cna't "see" the pain it mist not exist!  I am in tears most days, most of the day, and sleeping is nearly impossible.
That's my story.
Sending huggs to all you sufferers.
Rainbow
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 8:19PM #2
drjean
Rainbow, so sorry to hear of your injury!  Yes, I recommend a physical therapist.  Many things don't show up on an xray. :( 
  There are a host of doctors that don't have a clue about pain, especially chronic pain.  Don't hold it against them, but don't go to them for help either.   The radiating pain makes me think that there is swellling in an area (maybe the neck?) that is pressing on the nerves and causing this.  (I'm not a medical doctor, but live with chronic pain myself, from an industrial accident.)  Stretching excercises will help, once you have a PT show you how. 
  I know how babying one part of your body will cause another grief!  Do your best to walk normally, and keep posture. If you can, sleep on your back with plenty of pillow support to prevent this from exacerbating until you see the PT.   Otherwise, sleep in a recliner with plenty of pillows. 
  It would also probably help to meditate.  Breathing and keeping the focus off your pain will help the body to calm itself.  We can really tie ourselves up without realizing, just trying to "manage" pain.  Hot showers (as long as you need them) and hot packs, or ice packs... even ice massages in the neck or spine area might help temporarily. 
  Keep track of how much pain medicine you are using, to give the PT an idea.  Also ask if he has suggestions on what type of pain med to get from the MD (since the MD obviously doesn't have a clue.)   
  Don't allow your thoughts to go to the "it must not exist" stuff.  The mind/body connection is facinating and anyone who tries to say otherwise are ignorant of the facts.  Do your best to rest, and if it isn't all of your body at once, then segmentally (put feet up and stretch them and rest them etc...)
  Good wishes
  drjean
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 27, 2008 - 9:57AM #3
rainbow
You have a lot of wonderful advice , thank you.  I am sorry you are going through this too.  I get info on the net about frozen shoulder, and they recommend many of the same things.  I have been trying meditation more, as I breathe in and out slowly, I think to myself: "inhale healing, exhale pain."  SOmetims it helps quite a bit.  Heat seems to do more for me that cold, I do try to alternate.  I found some stretching exercises on the net and have started to do them as much as I can.  Thanks for your helpful information. Kathy
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook