6 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 9:07AM #1
greeney
Hello everyone, Just a quick Hi, to let you know I'll be lurking around the place learning how to get around this board, it's slightly boggling at the moment, but I'm sure I will get the hang of it with time. I suppose you could say I'm here in search of other parents dealing with the heartache of caring for a child in remission from cancer. Alyvia is now 9 and the 18th april o8 is our 12th remission date, Yippee. I can't help but wish the next year will fly by as the first 2 years after treatment are the most fearful and threatening, sometimes the fear factor overwhelms me to the point of no return, but as a family we are hanging in there with much hope that she has a higher being keeping her safe and watching over her. I have comforted many parents during the loss of there children who became friends at a deep level from our shared experience, it's an instant connection not usually felt upon meeting total strangers.
To watch little ones suffer on a daily basis and loose there battle has affected me profoundly, my compassion is slightly out of control, tears well at the drop of a hat, even if it is just a cancer ad on the t.v, all there little faces flash through my head like a power point presentation, and there are many, too many. Through our journey I have never lost faith nor hope, I feel a strong presence we are being watched over, which is comforting, I have not asked "Why me" but "This only happens to other people not our family" unfortunately I have learnt it can happen to anybody.
We are entering into our 4th year and all procedures finished 5mths ago, I am only just begining to breathe again and trying to find my lost self, who am I? I don't know but I am not the same person I once was, I don't feel sorry for myself and my smile hides the pain, I am desperately trying to move forward. Alyvia still has monthly blood tests and have only just gone to 3mthly visits with her Oncologist, this is helping me along to not have it thrust in my face as often, there are so many new kids at the hospital, it's upsetting, and I try not to get close to the new parents anymore, it's called self preservation.
We are blessed to still have Alyvia by our side, she had a rough n bumpy road with many pot holes to avoid she is inspiring, it's like nothing ever happened in her world, why can't I just move on as she has, she is amazing and impatiently "Life Be In It" girl, always busy and catching up living life to the fullest, which is what I am trying to do also, I'm living in hope filled with fear which most days remains locked in my personal filing cabinet but hits me like a flood each time we have to go for check ups at the hospital, time is healing the wounds slowly.
Blessings to all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2008 - 10:57AM #2
greeney
Oops, sorry, I can't seem to work out how to edit, it's not our 12th remission date, it's our 1st year remission date, don't know how  I did that, still learning, did'nt want to put up another post to tell you my oops!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2008 - 1:06PM #3
frankieestep
Greeney,

You and Alyvia will be in my prayers.  I can't even imagine what it is like to have a seriously ill  child.  Being a Mother and Grandmother, I know how I fear my kids and grandkids getting hurt or becoming ill. 

I hope you will stay around and share your journey with us.  I'm not sure others here have had a child in the same position, but I do know we have a lot of caring folks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2008 - 1:00AM #4
greeney
Thanks Frankie,
Yeah, it's a pretty lonely existence in our situation but I've managed for nearly 4 years now, I can live with this and so does Lyv, I have a great family support network who have kept me sane and have spread the word to every known prayer group and sprirtual organisation, could'nt have done it without all the added prayers keeping us protected.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 03, 2008 - 1:56PM #5
nevillenosher
Greeney,

I add my prayers for Alyvia hope she is completley cured and you can all get back to a normal life as soon as possible.

Take care,
Malcolm
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2008 - 8:19PM #6
timber
Hi greeney welcome to R humbel abode. My name is Timber & although none of my children have cancer I do. I can only b grateful it is me & not one of the childre. So I can't "know" how u feel I can understand an offer a sholder on thoughs not so good days. Maybe even see lots more good days. May u & u'r famly continue to be blessed. An Grate book I would recomend is Crazy Sexey Cancer By Kriss Carr. I lurned so much in that book that maybe u could aply to u'r lil one. Blessed be....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 4:59PM #7
itty
Welcome greeny! I am glad to meet you. I wil add my prayers for you, all of your family and your daughter.

Cancer, regardless of how we confront it, isn't easy. I don't care whether you are a caretaker or a cancer survivor. My heart goes out to you especially because this is your child. I can't even imagine the feeling of having a child in such danger.

Livy IS a cancer survivor, Greeny. Right now. Any one of us living with cancer is a cancer survivor. I hope this remission does last the next year and many, many more beyond!

Again, welcome and you are well come.

itty
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook