7 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 4:27PM #1
Nic
I have had a swollen knee for the past two years, which is very painful and even more than that I am only 38 and have kept very active.  I am now under a rhumetologist (spelt wrong) who has drained it several times and I have also been given cortisone injections to combat the swelling.  She has said that she thinks it may be a form of arthritis but is not to sure due to in being in only one area and no where else.  Now they have put me on these dreadful tablets once a week, where I have to take folic acid the day before because they knock out all your red blood cells - this is so your body will stop fighting the so called arthritis and the swelling and pain should cease - I am still waiting for it to go down six weeks later!!  Plus because of these tablets I have to have blood tests every two weeks to keep an eye on my blood count.  Has anyone else experienced this sort of arthritis and if so did they put you on these awful tablets?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 6:05PM #2
MarleneEmmett5
[QUOTE=Nic;403201]I have had a swollen knee for the past two years, which is very painful and even more than that I am only 38 and have kept very active.  I am now under a rhumetologist (spelt wrong) who has drained it several times and I have also been given cortisone injections to combat the swelling.  She has said that she thinks it may be a form of arthritis but is not to sure due to in being in only one area and no where else.  Now they have put me on these dreadful tablets once a week, where I have to take folic acid the day before because they knock out all your red blood cells - this is so your body will stop fighting the so called arthritis and the swelling and pain should cease - I am still waiting for it to go down six weeks later!!  Plus because of these tablets I have to have blood tests every two weeks to keep an eye on my blood count.  Has anyone else experienced this sort of arthritis and if so did they put you on these awful tablets?[/QUOTE]
Nic:
I've read your post ~now I've suffered from bad knees since I was 16. I've had bouts of gout on/off,in 1994
I twisted my right knee really bad tearing my ACL~still have not had it fixed. In 2005 I fell on a slate patio
and ended up not only messing up my knee but also pulling both hamstrings to my crotch(ouch still!!)
My right knee was really swollen and very painful~sometimes it's still painful,three years later!!!
I occasionally take Hydrocodine for the pain~but most of the time I take 600mg Daypro tablets and also
Schiff "MoveFree",Glocusmoine/Condrotion and lots of water.
If I were you I would go and get another opinion~you have questions and want answers as to why your knee is
taking so long to heal.I have had MRI's,ex-ray's taken of my knee~the only thing is the torn ACL plus a bit of
arthritis ~ occasionally I still feel pain but that's only when it's going to rain.
Good luck with your knee~ Marleneemm
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2008 - 1:13AM #3
Annie1654
[QUOTE=MarleneEmmett5;423706]Nic:
I've read your post ~now I've suffered from bad knees since I was 16. I've had bouts of gout on/off,in 1994
I twisted my right knee really bad tearing my ACL~still have not had it fixed. In 2005 I fell on a slate patio
and ended up not only messing up my knee but also pulling both hamstrings to my crotch(ouch still!!)
My right knee was really swollen and very painful~sometimes it's still painful,three years later!!!
I occasionally take Hydrocodine for the pain~but most of the time I take 600mg Daypro tablets and also
Schiff "MoveFree",Glocusmoine/Condrotion and lots of water.
If I were you I would go and get another opinion~you have questions and want answers as to why your knee is
taking so long to heal.I have had MRI's,ex-ray's taken of my knee~the only thing is the torn ACL plus a bit of
arthritis ~ occasionally I still feel pain but that's only when it's going to rain.
Good luck with your knee~ Marleneemm[/QUOTE]Marlene & Nic; I've had arthritis in my knees for 20 yrs & I had surgery & injuries on both.  That's how it starts.  I also have arthritis in my lower back & that develop from a back injury 30 yrs ago.   The pain gets so bad nothing really helps not even laying down & relaxing.  I've had x-rays & MRI numorous times.  The way it's devloping in my body they can't operate & I don't think I'd let the Doctors touch my back in the 1st place.  I do take a medication called Mobic--250mg--it only works if I take it when the pain is starting & I'm planning to lay around all day.  So don't say a injury or surgery can't cause arthritis because it does.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2008 - 4:45AM #4
DotNotInOz
I agree with getting another opinion.

Also, have you told the rheumatologist how uncomfortable you are taking these pills and asked if something else could be tried? If you haven't already, I'd also ask how long the doctor thinks it may be before this treatment helps if it's a matter of having to keep using it for some time in order to get results. Some treatments can take 2-3 months before you notice any improvement.

Even so, you always have the right as a patient--it IS your body and your life after all--to say, "No, no more of this. I really can't live decently under these conditions." However, before you do this, I'd suggest being sure that you're certain you understand factors such as how long it may take for the treatment to be effective so that you don't discontinue it before it has a chance to work.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2008 - 12:31PM #5
MarleneEmmett5
[QUOTE=DotNotInOz;567858]I agree with getting another opinion.

Also, have you told the rheumatologist how uncomfortable you are taking these pills and asked if something else could be tried? If you haven't already, I'd also ask how long the doctor thinks it may be before this treatment helps if it's a matter of having to keep using it for some time in order to get results. Some treatments can take 2-3 months before you notice any improvement.

Even so, you always have the right as a patient--it IS your body and your life after all--to say, "No, no more of this. I really can't live decently under these conditions." However, before you do this, I'd suggest being sure that you're certain you understand factors such as how long it may take for the treatment to be effective so that you don't discontinue it before it has a chance to work.[/QUOTE]
DotNotInOz:
I screwed up my right knee really bad 3 years ago at a cousin's BarMitzvah.
I was entering into the reception when I slipped and lost my balence~ There was a single step,that didn't
have a handrail to "tell a person to step down".
I not only hurt my knee but I also went and pulled both hamstrings so badly that to this day I sometimes
still hurt~ I didn't know that I pulled them till I bent over and saw the black/blue marks going up to my crotch!!
I spent the whole month of September 2005 on heavy medications~Vicadone & Flexeril 10mg to knock me out!!
Not only did I hurt the knee~ but I reinjured my lower back !! Oh, what fun that was!!
Most of the time I'm pain free~ I know that one major thing will help my knees/back.
That thing~ losing a major amount of weight!!!
I'm 5'6" and weigh about 350~ I put on most of the weight after my mom passed back in 1974.
I"m ready to lose it~ Tim Russert's passing *Was a wake up call*!!!!
I'm slowly changing my eating habits~ now I have to *force myself to get up and walk*!!
Even though I may hurt for sometime after~ A few Tylenol ES will help!!
Also a rub-down from my hubby with some BenGay!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2008 - 2:54AM #6
iamelting
Hi Nic,
I must agree that I would get a second opinion or give your rheumatologist the opportunity to give you the proper tests.  I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis about 15 years ago.  This is the type of arthritis where the immune system starts to attack your own body and distroys your joints.:eek:  It can be difficult to diagnose in its early stages but there are blood tests that give exact results as well as MRIs and XRays.  Your Dr. should not be guessing that you need steroids and draining off the fluid when there are specific treatments and medicines based on the type of arthritis you have.  In the 15 years of having the RA, I have also developed OA, osteoarthritis, the wear and tear arthritis of aging. I am only 56 but I have lead a very busy life as a type A over achieving sales manager, runner, weight lifter, hiker, horseback rider, etc.  I just was very active and as a result had a lot of minor, and some major, accidents that  caused lasting joint and bone injuries.
It sounds like the pills you are taking weekly are methotrexate.  these are pills that supress the immune system.  They are used in RA patients to keep the immune system from damaging the joints.  One of the side effects is they suppress the white blood cells so you will have too large red blood cells so you must take folic acid to off set this--very important.  also, methotrexate can harm the liver.  this is the reason for the frequent blood tests.  I take my methotrexate by injections because the dose is so high that I would have to take 10 pills at a time.  That is too harsh for my stomach so I like to inject instead.
When I first started seeing the Dr., this was all so new, I had her write down the name of the meds and the diagnosis and any important words for me.  Then I would go home and look them up on the computer.  that way, I could ask more intelligent quesrtions the nezt time I saw her, or call back and ask my questions.  You could also ask your Dr. for her/his email.  Some Dr.s communicate with patients that way.  I just find that it is sometimes too hard to remember everything when I hear it for the first time.
Best of luck!  Feel free to contact me with any questions.  I have been thru a lot with my arthrits, chronic pain, fibromyalgia and I use modern medicine (and am lucky to have very helpful Dr.s and a son who is a Dr.) and I also practice eastern medicine, aromatherapy and am a Reiki level 2 therapist.
Lulu
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 5:07PM #7
MarleneEmmett5
[QUOTE=Annie1654;457311]Marlene & Nic; I've had arthritis in my knees for 20 yrs & I had surgery & injuries on both.  That's how it starts.  I also have arthritis in my lower back & that develop from a back injury 30 yrs ago.   The pain gets so bad nothing really helps not even laying down & relaxing.  I've had x-rays & MRI numorous times.  The way it's devloping in my body they can't operate & I don't think I'd let the Doctors touch my back in the 1st place.  I do take a medication called Mobic--250mg--it only works if I take it when the pain is starting & I'm planning to lay around all day.  So don't say a injury or surgery can't cause arthritis because it does.[/QUOTE]
Annie1654:
My right knee only bothers me really bad when a "storms approching" it's like a weather vein,as are my sinuses!!
Now I'm beginning to feel some pain in my left knee around the cap portion of the knee.
Took two ES Tylenol~ hate taking anything stronger if I don't have to!!

On 'really rare occasions" in the winter I'll get stiffness in my hands~ once it was so bad I had to put my hands
under running hot water to "warm them & massage them with cream, till the stiffness wore off"
That's why you'll never find me without gloves in winter!!!
I'm always "pulling on my hands"~ did you know that you can "straighten out your fingers if there're crooked"~
my husband will see me doing this and he'll hear a small pop .

As for injuries causing arthritis~ boy how I know it does!!
There are some days/mornings I can't get out of bed without help~those are the days I'm so stiff I can't walk!!
Arthritis has made me cancel doctor's appointments,miss family affairs~and be heavy because I sometimes
really can't walk due to the stiffness/pain!!

I fell down a flight of waxed stairs 11 years ago and the worst part is that a doctor and a law firm didn't beleive
me when I told them about the pain I was in~ their opinion was that my pain was from a "pre-existing condition/
being heavy". I've got news for them~ I was never in pain from my scitatica before like I'm now!!!!
I never even had a scitatica attack before I fell down those stairs~ and I got "Screwed" by the lawyers/doctor!!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook