Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Child abuse or not Child abuse-Jesus Camp movie
5 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2009 - 11:35PM #1
Godgirl
Ok this is forum is for people who have seen the movie "Jesus Camp." When i saw that movie i thought to myself "this could be child abuse." Thoes children were getting so overly emotional over God that was brought on by there type of worship and i have never seen worship like that before. I am not trying to upset people in this forum that are of that religion or denomination but i can`t help but think that those children were experincing some type of emotional abuse. The pastor lectures the children who are like 5 and 6 years old on hell and sin for like an hour at a time. Could you imagine talking to children of that age for hour straight about things that scare the hell out of them? I am a believer in God and i also have a christian background but to me it seems that if these children dont have some type of emotional problem then they are on there way to developing one. Help me out here. Is this a form of emotional abuse or is this just normal?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2009 - 11:43PM #2
Godgirl
I am sorry if i offend anyone reading this forum...I am not trying to be offensive. But if anyone can shed some light on this type of worship in this movie i would appricate it. Any thoughts on the movie would be appricated.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2009 - 11:58PM #3
Evillynnstar
I saw jesus camp and found it disturbing! I would consider it abuse. However they aren't doing anything illegal. I just worry about what kind of adults those poor kids are going to turn into.
But like skin heads have the right to teach their kids to hate people of different races and faiths... They have the right to raise their kids with detailed stories of hell and brain wash them so they will never think for themselves.
The woman rev. compares what she is doing to theses poor kids here, to what the Taliban does to children in the east.
I too am sickened by the whole thing. Just as  I'm sickened by the Taliban and the skin heads.  but with freedom of speech and of religion, I have to tolerate it. Even if one of those kids approached me, asking me "if I know where I'll go when I die." I would still respect the fact the parents have the right to raise their kids as messed up as they want. But on a happier note, if the kid asks me a personal question like that, I have no issue asking them questions like, "so do you like decorating a pagan tree to celebrate your gods birthday? Oh wait, jesus wasn't born Dec. 25." Just to stir in some trouble... sometimes all it takes is just one idea too make them come around. Their parents wouldn't think twice trying to preach to my kids.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2009 - 4:34PM #4
Godgirl
I was hoping to get a debate going here but there arnt alot of people responding =
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 2:37AM #5
ManzanitaBear
I'd never seen the movie, but this thread inspired me to look at some clips.  I don't even follow this board, but this thread caught my eye!

Here's what I find most disturbing:

The kids are being made to make vows to Jesus, to God, to say certain prayers--that they'll stand against abortion and evolution, for instance.  What happens when a kid starts to think that there might be another side to those issues--which they will think if they have brains?  They've been taught that asking those kinds of questions would be breaking that promise, and worse.

If I had been raised that way, I'd feel terribly guilty for having those thoughts.  Rather like the boy who confessed to questioning God. 

If you're made to feel wrong and guilty for having your own thoughts, that's abuse!  And in this case, it prevents healthy spiritual growth.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with teaching your kids religious beliefs.  There is something wrong with forcing them to profess beliefs and make promises to God just because it's what the leader tells them to do, it's what everyone around them is doing.  That doesn't leave room for honest belief; rather, it stifles it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 2:37AM #6
ManzanitaBear
I'd never seen the movie, but this thread inspired me to look at some clips.  I don't even follow this board, but this thread caught my eye!

Here's what I find most disturbing:

The kids are being made to make vows to Jesus, to God, to say certain prayers--that they'll stand against abortion and evolution, for instance.  What happens when a kid starts to think that there might be another side to those issues--which they will think if they have brains?  They've been taught that asking those kinds of questions would be breaking that promise, and worse.

If I had been raised that way, I'd feel terribly guilty for having those thoughts.  Rather like the boy who confessed to questioning God. 

If you're made to feel wrong and guilty for having your own thoughts, that's abuse!  And in this case, it prevents healthy spiritual growth.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with teaching your kids religious beliefs.  There is something wrong with forcing them to profess beliefs and make promises to God just because it's what the leader tells them to do, it's what everyone around them is doing.  That doesn't leave room for honest belief; rather, it stifles it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 5:03PM #7
Godgirl
If you watch the movie you will see one child who is actualy douting his faith in front of everyone. It is an awkward point in the movie. Well i just think those kids are so overly emotional that there going to develop some kind of emotional health problem. The way those kids are acting is just not normal. I understand that kids get overly emotional (at least many do) when they are throwing temper tantrums in a grocery store because they want a certian food or whatever and there parents wont give it to them. But to see children who are five and six years old get overly emotional about political beliefs of there parents and to see them crying and having convultions on the floor for God...to me that is just not normal. And the childrens preacher lady preaches at them for a hole hour. And the words she uses about stuff like "if your not careful sin will get you" or whatever she says and "and the devil is waiting to catch you by the tail" (I believe she had a stuffed animal in her hand that was a lion)...that kind of stuff would scare the living daylights out of five and six year olds who have more faith then most adults. And one weird part in the movie is there is a five or six year old who after she dances she talks to the camera (it seemed staged though like she was told what to say and couldnt remember her lines in the movie) she says something like "I have to be careful when i am dancing to not be dancing in the flesh." How in the world could a child be dancing in the flesh? And to people who arent familiar with that saying when christians say something is "in the flesh" or "of the flesh" they just mean that it is UnGodly and not christian but of a secular way. There is something so abnormal of a child to say this. I would understand it coming from a christian young adult but from a child? Its just strange.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 5:18PM #8
Godgirl
Now that i think of it the saying must be "of the flesh." But im still not sure. One girl even talks about "Dead churches" they types of churches she believes doesnt have God in them because they are not emotional or radical enough. According to her GOd only goes to churches that are emotional and overly radical.
Also there is another point in the movie where the same girl is saying that one of her friends dads (i believe it was a friends dad) was going away to do missionary work in a country that was very dangerous. And she said poeple were chanting "martyr martyr martyr" and she said it was "realy cool." I found this disterbing. It kind of reminds me of when i was in church and the pastor had us watch a news story about a woman who was held up by someone in her car at gun point. The man asked her to give him money and she said no twice. Then she said "if you shoot me...i will go to heaven and you will go to hell." She said that GOd is all around even in her car. He kissed her on the cheek and left. This woman is supper lucky. But the pastor was glorifying this woman when in reality that woman was acting foolish because she said "no" twice when he asked for the money at gun point. I dont think at church they should teach people to risk loosing there life for the sake of proselytising. But i know martyerism is in the bible but i still think that people shouldnt do it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 5:38PM #9
Free2beme09
I told my husband about you mentioning this movie.  He hasnt seen it either, so I will watch it for you soon, so I can comment.  :)  Maybe if there are clips on the web I will catch a few!  :)
Religion is for those afraid of hell.  Spirituality is had by those who have been there!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 5:56PM #10
Godgirl
Maybe try Utube or go to the local library if they have dvds and rent it. Your going to do that just for me?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook