Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Child abuse or not Child abuse-Jesus Camp movie
5 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 8:28AM #21
Evillynnstar

Godgirl wrote:

Anyone else have anything to say about this movie?

Well with a little make up, it would make a great horror film. Sorry I had to say something...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 10:56PM #22
sixth step phobia
Whenever my two teenage boys come home from christian youth group full of the holy spirit i always bring them back to earth with a few key questions about god

We have to teach our children to be aware, becoming aware of awareness is the key

I love to tell them the story about Carl Jung and the amazing vision he had as a twelve year old boy he saw god in all his majesty on a magnificent throne high above a beautiful cathedral, the first few times he was so scared of the vision he could not let it play out, eventually he decided to let it have its way and god proceeded to excrete a giant turd on the cathedral and crush it

It always gets a laugh and gets them thinking
Spiritual awakening is awakening from the dream of thought
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 7:18PM #23
karbie
Ah yes--filled with the Holy Spirit...my brother in law took my then 7 year old son to a "Promise Keeper" convention. He came back with his blue eyes glazed as he chanted "I'm a Promise Keeper--are YOU?"
  I do my best not to break a promise and I apologize when circumstances make it necessary and have since my child was a toddler. I don't expect to get a T-shirt or feel the need to pat myself on the back for simply keeping my wedding vows--now, those are promises I have never broken. But I promised "To love and to cherish"; there's no way I would have ever promised to obey ...it just isn't going to happen!
  Fast Forward over a decade to the newest obscenity--a specially framed "Family Contract" that acknowledges my brother -in-law as the ;head of the family. And guess what he'll do for them out of the goodness of his heart? HE'LL take their prayers to God for them because as the Head of the family, he's closer to God and can intercede for them...sorry, but I thought that position had already been taken a long time ago.
  And if I was going to pick a body part to acknowledge as my brother-in-law's Appointed Authority...it would be at the other end of the body. But that's all right--according to my son, his web site will tell the whole world how wonderful and God-centered he  and his family are because of him. I haven't been willing to see it myself because I'd be retching remembering just how wonderful my friend/sister used to be.
  Good for you! Balance is always a good thing to have and by making it humorous you make it so much more effective. Any religion that doesn't want you to ask questions because they have all the answers is one to run from in my book.
"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 10:09PM #24
laydi_faith42

Jan 11, 2009 -- 2:37AM, ManzanitaBear wrote:

I'd never seen the movie, but this thread inspired me to look at some clips. I don't even follow this board, but this thread caught my eye! Here's what I find most disturbing: The kids are being made to make vows to Jesus, to God, to say certain prayers--that they'll stand against abortion and evolution, for instance. What happens when a kid starts to think that there might be another side to those issues--which they will think if they have brains? They've been taught that asking those kinds of questions would be breaking that promise, and worse. If I had been raised that way, I'd feel terribly guilty for having those thoughts. Rather like the boy who confessed to questioning God. If you're made to feel wrong and guilty for having your own thoughts, that's abuse! And in this case, it prevents healthy spiritual growth. There's absolutely nothing wrong with teaching your kids religious beliefs. There is something wrong with forcing them to profess beliefs and make promises to God just because it's what the leader tells them to do, it's what everyone around them is doing. That doesn't leave room for honest belief; rather, it stifles it.

I, Myself am a struggling survivor of SPIRITUAL ABUSE! I believe that there should be a law of some kind to protect children from This twisted Abuse. The kind of adults that they/ we may become can be detrimental to the individual and society as well!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 1:08PM #25
Nonchristianheaven

I saw the movie. There are many religions that ask their children to do or believe certain things that someone else may think is abusive.

Could someone say having a child baptized under the water is abuse, or child endangerment?

What is going to far?

I have seen plenty of adults so into their religion you would think they were going to have a stroke or a mental breakdown.

Some children must fast, is that abuse? I can't judge, I really don't know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook