Page 1 of 976  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 976 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: The Front Desk
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 12:04AM #1
Nay_ho_tze

All of us go out to face the day with that question coming back to us:

HOW ARE YOU TODAY?

In fact according to doctors, it is one question that we're supposed to ask ourselves, once every morning and evening ... then to plan the next twelve hours accordingly.

As one of the regulars has written, "One of the items on my list of 'To Do,' approved by my psychiatrist is to get in touch with a support person every day.  quick check in and feed back by someone who understands what is meant by the diagnosis of clinical depression.  The question, of course, is 'How are you doing today?' However, that is one question most of us dread hearing because if we're honest, then we're likely to hear that we should just smile harder.  And on other days when we're feeling good for a change, people just pat us on the head, as if to ask,'Feeling a little manic, are we?'  While we respect the input, it would be a lot more helpful and much more appreciated if it were to come from other folks, who also walk the path of chronic depression/bi-polar."

And to that end, consider this a safe place, free from fear of being misunderstood, judged, or patronized, where we can honestly self-examine and then answer the question:

"So, really ... How are you doing today?"

NHT

host

Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 7:54AM #2
msmeredith
Not sure what it means that the thread was closed but I hope everyone finds this and remembers the new title is "the front desk" !!!!
Did not get shopping yesterday, was achey!! So, rummaged through my recipe box and made an okd favorite, tuna casserole...  Have dr. appt. at 9 AM, my time, maybe pick up a few things, tan and come home.. Though I am feeling better, swelling down on my neck, still not quite 100%!!!   I have all day free tomorrow, so today will finish cleaning batrooms and vacuum. Just got email from realtpr we are having open house Sunday 1-2 PM!!  We loweredour asking price a CHUNK with room to hegotiate. Really cannot lower price again!!

Gotta run!!
Karl, I know what you mean about friends online, friends in world. lately seems like I am more connected to my online friends as friends have drifted away.. partly my fault for not making a lot of effort. Maybe time to reconnect with a couple!!! Feels awkward though!!!

Sending good thoughts to veryone!!
msmeredith
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 8:31AM #3
lapatosu
But I do patronize so well, NHT! *laughing* Seriously, though, thanks bunches and bunches for getting this new thread going.

With that in mind, I haven't seen or heard from you in quite awhile, but it doesn't mean that you haven't been in my thoughts. I've been sending energy your way; to your SO (that he might find new patients), to your kids (as they plan their wedding), to the wee one (as she continues the homeschooling journey).  I hope this means that the issues with the computer have been resolved.

MsMerideth - I hope the home sells!  I'm thinking about making a tuna casserole for dinner as well.  Easy, well and everyone likes it, except for my husband.  However, I've discovered that if I add a can of salmon, in with the tuna, he'll eat it as well.  In fact, I'm going to head over to the kitchen to get some water boiling for the noodles, now.
Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 11:26AM #4
lapatosu
Sue - Your friend is in my prayers.  It is alwasy so hard to convince someone to step into the future, when they think the present is as bad as it is going to get.  Unfortunately, in abusive relationships, it always gets worse. *sigh*

Linda - I hope your day is filled with some joyous memories of your father.  I know that I wouldn't be eating as well, if I were cooking for just myself.  In fact, I'd probably be living on scrambled tofu and salad (easy to make and fills me up).  Having the rest of the family there is what makes a difference. Do you ever put together meals for you and your nephew?

Karl - I'm going to be missing your input.  I hope you make it back.  Did you ever check in to the bi-polar thing?  I'm only asking, because you were stressed over a creative project, then went into the e-mail thing, and now have moved to a place of low self esteem.  All classic signs of a bi-polar episode.  The good news would be, that it is the bi-polar having moved into a depressive stage, and your friends (both on and off the net) think you are fantastic.

JB - I'm glad to hear the back was weather related.  That means it will start to feel better, once the weather clears, and you don't have to figure out new trips to the doctor.

Speaking of which, I got a letter from the dermatologist, asking me to reschedule my appointment to get some moles checked out.  Then, my eldest reminded me that she has a contractor coming out to the house, to give her an estimate for some remodeling she and SIL want done, once they move in.  Thanks be, I did get up early.  Lunch and dinner are made, the kitchen is clean, and the dogs have been moved next door. I'm also thankful I took some time yesterday to sweep and vacuum.

I couldn't convince myself that I wanted to work out on the elliptical machine, but since the day is dark and rainy, I did thirty minutes of light therapy, with Doofus patiently guarding the room.  This was taken before he escaped from the yard, after I'd moved him next door.  Thanks be, my daughter was on campus, found him wandering around and brought him home.

I'm still having fun learning about my computer.  I've figured out my favorite music stations (a really neat one that lets you build your own music list - for free), how to take pictures with the web cam and post them (see Doofus, above), and will try sending a video to a friend Down Under.  After that, I want to try and post some sort of video on my home page, just to see what is involved in the process. The rest of the time will be filled with weight workouts and mandala coloring - at least until the rain stops.

Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 11:57AM #5
nightwitch
[COLOR=green]I had to laught about the "how are you" in the real world when people ask that they do not really want you to give a honest answer.. if you responsed that you live sucked they would most likly run the other way.. I usual respond with fine I think... that get a huh so I tell them that I do not want to tempt fate by saying I am doing great.. at least here when some one ask how are you they mean it and want to hear the truth... [/COLOR]
Lap... no we both just tend to grab the microwave dinner s.. I was thinking of going for pizza today... i do that once in a while.. thanks for the kind thought.. he is often in my mind and more so now.. I miss his unspoken support.. but I know he is still with me.. hope that the derm is just being careful. mother has several little place frozen off just to be on the safe side..  Lap I love you but TOFU. yuck...
I think I slept too much.. I just laid around all evening got up this morning took the dogs out watch tv.. at least I did trim the wisetira back .. I sweat that things is a cousin to kudzu... going to eat then go trim the other bush back...
to all the rest I will be back later... just wanted to see what this new thread was.. I know the rest will find there way here.. some time a new start is a good thing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 1:29PM #6
Sharika1991
Hey everyone!  I just wanted to say that I am alive.  Things are a bit better between Don and I.  His frustration stems from my parents blaming him for my mental state.  I am going to post something to the Padded Room.  I figure I have done enough complaining here in recent days that I have probably made you all tired of reading my posts.  All I can say at this point is thanks for letting me vent.

I'll try and catch up with you all later.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 8:04PM #7
nightwitch
Well I made my self cut the front part of the yard. will finish it tomorrow I do not have any extra gas and do not want to run out way down in the front yard..  went and got piazza and a cake for my nephew and I .. seems strange to some to celebrate the anvesary of some ones death. but also seem right. I was talking to some little boy at the store he asked if I was getting a cake for my son's birthday. I told him no it was to celebrated today being the day my father died.. I said I know that sounds strange.. smart kid said no they did the same thing...
Sahrika.. glad things are a little better .. and as far as I am concerned vent here all you want or just where ever feels right. that is what we are here for to listein not judge and just send hugs when needed..
  Sue.. see it there is a domestic violence support group near your friends let then tell her what the it is really  and like Lap said it only gets worse..
  ok enought .. I am going to the padded room since I feel like I can now and need to ..
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2008 - 10:02AM #8
lapatosu
Aw, morning time. *sigh*  Another grey, rainy one at that, as we are on the edge of the mess called Ike.  Not much chance for sun in the next few days.  I just hope we manage to stay afloat, since the streets, yards, rivers and lakes are getting pretty full of water. My schedule today is going to be pretty simple.  I need to head to the vet's office to get some meds for Yip-yip (ear, eye, thyroid and skin), probably about $100 worth of stuff.  Need I say, that this is the last terrier I'm going to own?  I love her dearly, but the breed just has too many health problems.  Mutts for me, for now on.

Turkey ham, sweet potatoes and salad for lunch, pot roast with veggies for dinner.  Once I get that prepared, I'm going to do 30 minutes of light table/elliptical machine, and hour of yin yoga, and then work on ripping my son-in-law's beta version of his latest CD, and post a video of rain, to Australia, where a friend tells me they don't get near enough of the wet stuff.  I did learn how to make the videos.  The editing part is proving to be a bit of a challenge.

I'd better start now, or I'm not going to have time to get everything done.
Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2008 - 12:31PM #9
nightwitch
just a quick stop by... first thanks for the response from the padded room...
right now I am not too great.. I got a very nice note back from my mothe's dr.. he too miss mother.. and was glad for my letter. BUT.. as to me seeing him he feel that he should stayin  neutral corner and not see any other family member.. my mind understands but my heart wishs it was not so.. to be very honest mainly because it woud have been so easy to not have to go over all the past thing with my brother , mother etc.. he would have already known a lot of that... yes that is the lazy way to start therapy... he gave me the names of a pdr and social worker... but for not I do not think I will be going.. silly but I can not help but feel like this is a rejection of me.. I know it is not but that is just how it feels. but then I do tend to be prone to feeling like that when I do not get the answer that I want and need..
NHT remember you what you said about how are you really... be careful what you ask for lol...
I will be back later... see at least I give a warning... going to eat and take a nap.. then put the mower up... or I may put it sooner.. looks like rain but if I roll the window up or put the mower away it will not rain..
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2008 - 12:34PM #10
karbie
"And how are YOU today?"...if it's someone calling to try to guilt me into sending money, I tell them. In great, excruciating detail--but ONLY if it is someone with a smarmy voice, I high pressure push...and the person who will be getting the lion's share of the money. In my state the police and state troupers can not solicit--so the professional soliciteers get more of the money than they do. Talk about a crime!
   I had 3 calls in i week. Each time I told them to remove us from the list, as we did NOT want to be called. About a week later we got a begging LETTER that began "Per our phone call, we are asking you by MAIL...didn't work, but I had to laugh at the sheer audacity...  If it is someone doing surveys, I answer them if I can because I know how hard a job it is to do; I wouldn't abuse anyone for trying to get by.
   Strangely,this week I fixed my guys tuna, steamed carrots, chopped peaches and nectarines, and the only tomato our garden produced that something else didn't eat first. Was this Tuna Week?
One thing that has paid for itself already is those green bags to keep your produce keep longer. I sliced a tomato I bought 2 weeks ago that was still perfect...and bought my husband some really ripe pears because his only complaint was the pears I had bought on that same trip were still hard. So if any of you were wondering--they DO work. Mother got some while I was staying with her and it made a believer out of me, and the fact that you can just wash them and reuse them a few times is a bonus.
  I have surgery coming up rather abruptly. I felt a big, large, hard lump in my left neck under the jawline on a Friday night. Had my husband check it the next morning asking him to please tell me I'm crazy...but I wasn't. My doctor's office was closed on Labor Day, but I got it the next day insisting I HAD to be seen. Somewhere over the years my medical history has been screwed up--I had my right thyroid removed in 1979 with a benign tumor. the other half has been ticking along nicely and I haven't needed thyroid medication since then. My records claim the LEFT side was removed. I told my doctor to  "follow the dotted line"...then which one of them. She agrees with me, and so did the zoned out infant who did the ultra scan while still initially arguing with me about the same thing. I don't know what he did, but the radiologist's report came back the same day I came back to my doctor, cllaiming it was the left side that was removed. My sister kept e-mailing me to "let it go" and had my mother doing it...at least I finally got through to Mother it was a matter of medical accuracy in my reports instead of obsessing with proving I was right. What can I say? the first time someone cuts your throat you remember it.  Now I'm going for the 3rd time...something I basically knew the first time I felt my throat. The 2 nodules aren't on the thyroid that apparently can change sides or even "Grow back? ...don't THINK so!" Neither did the surgeon--I saw him yesterday--the day after I saw my own doctor.  I took the orders for the tests  she wanted with me-- so he would have ordered a cat scan, but I'm having it Friday. So I go back in a week when he's seen the results. He needs to work on his poker face--or this time I AM worrying...because he was surprised at how firm it was. He told me he can't tell anything--except it has to come out no matter what it is. So I'm a lot more scared, and freaked, and wondering if it is malignant, especially how fast it's apparently shown up..will I be here when my son marries? Will I see his kids?
Can I still be an organ donor? So far I'm holding it together for everyone but while I am not afraid of dying...more people I love are over there every year...I'm also not in any particular hurry. Most of the time, unless I'm very upset and just want the physical pain to end...but not right NOW. Got to go to another medical department now for my foot...the medical economy continues to bloom wherever I am.
"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 976  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 976 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook