Page 445 of 977  •  Prev 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 ... 977 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: The Front Desk
3 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 11:24AM #4441
joycon

Good morning all! It is a sunny and balmy 52 degrees so far this AM. Yesterday we got a wonderful soaking rain. We needed it so badly.

Joyce, I thank you for the support. As far as I am concerned you can tell me just about anything. As Lap says, take what you need and leave the rest. I am actually going to 3 or 4 weight loss support groups a month. I guess I didn't make myself clear. Everyother Saturday there is either a support group or 2 classes at the hospital where I had my surgery. So not only is it with others who have had WLS, but with those who have had it at the same place with the same docs.

On the 3rd (this is the group that involves me driving to the city which is a big accomplishment) we were asked to bring "tools", things we can share that we use for our journey. I was the only one who did... so I ended up doing a lot of instruction/sharing.

The other group, every other Wed., is a group that we are starting at the Y. It is made of a few of us that have had surgery though it is open to anyone interested in weight loss. There have been times, like the last meeting, where there were only two of us and I did the teaching/etc. I asked the other woman if she wanted to stop meeting since there were just 2 of us but she said no. I didn't get much from the meetings when it is only her and I.

It is one thing to have the tools and the knowledge. Practicing what you preach is where I am having the issues. As my doc and I said, they have yet to develop a band for the brain.

Karbie, as you said, or JB said, food is my drug of choice. Yes, it is so full of emotional elements/responses. I have a great book that addresses it, along with a plan to build new habits. Like so much else in my life, I started it.... and laid it down. I started my walking program twice in the last 2 weeks.  I shared an article about being "interested or committed". I am working on being committed (and I don't mena to the place I used to work, lol).

Karbie, how wonderful that you were able to get up and do so much. I don't know how you managed to wash your hair in the bathroom sink! My hair is as long as yours and very thick and coarse. If I really tried I could wash it in the kitchen sink but it would absolutely kill my back.

Joyce, your artwork, and reading, sound lovely. I am still working on crocheting a sweater for my daughter's birthday, and crocheting a jacket for myself. I've got some other projects in mind as well as scrapbooking but I haven't figured out time management yet.

Caren, how generous of you.

Have a beautiful day everyone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2012 - 10:35PM #4442
JoyceB53

Good evening, all, just a relatively quick fly-by to say hello, since I didn't post Monday.  The time change has hit me fairly hard, and I'm a little more tired than usual.  Y'know, I don't remember the time changes bothering me one little bit when I was a kid. 

Karbie, I can wash my hair, which is roughly as long as you described yours, in the kitchen sink, with the help of the spray hose.  It still hurts my back, tho.

Joycie, I don't think I'd ever realized about the surgery support groups, so thanks for clarifying that for me.  I'm not always the sharpest tack in the box, y'know.  And I was the one who said that food is my drug of choice.  Yup, 'tis.

Caren, that's awfully nice of you to take care of your daughter with your car money.  You're a good mom, bless your heart.

We were closed from 2pm-5pm this afternoon, in order to let the exterminator fog(bomb)the restaurant.  So from a little after two until about 4:30, I sat outside the front door in a chair, reading Shakespeare.  The 5pm person showed up about the time the cook and I started to put the place back together, washing things down, etc., so with three of us working, it only took us about 35 minutes to get it done. 

So, we really didn't do a whole lot of business today, lol.   From 5:30 or so, until about 8:45, I wrote the grand total of seven guest checks!!  But hey, I still made right at $26, so I'm perfectly content.

Time to go to the kitchen and finish cooking supper.  My potato is just about baked, so it's time to get the spinach ready, and that's it for tonight:  A baked 'tater and some spinach with plenty of butter and some sour cream on it.  Seriously.   Y'all have a good night and a good Wednesday, hear?  God bless.

Today is the day that the Lord hath made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it.

---Psalm 118:24
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 12:15AM #4443
karbie

I would much rather use the kitchen sink/sprayer for my hair, with the stepstool so I wouldn't be on my tip-toes, but the kitchen sink leaks as well if too much water goes down it. Than God for the Rinseless shampoos and body baths i keep on hand. I hooked my son on those while he was still at home--it meant if he'd woken up with a really sweaty head, he could clean up in minimum time. I got all washed up this morning except for my hair, knowing that if I washed it it would be sweaty before  bedtime.

I'm switching back to the twin bed--I was so groggy this afternoon that I just barely woke up in time twice to keep myself from bashing my head on the edge of the marble sink, so I opted for the first available flat surface and finished my nap. I get my sleep patterns so bollocked up that my pill schedules get messed up. Things are back on a more even keel and once I clean my hair maybe we'll get out of the house at the same time tomorrow.

Keflex is apparentlyone of those that includes a bonus yeast infection. I've cleared that up, so I'm beginning to feel human. I've been reading and playing games on my Kindle, which is happily charging back up for me. I also discovered that the pillow I got to hold boos while you are reading them works very well for the kindle if you  turn it upside down and put it in your nap.

I'm hoping to get past my 3:15- 5:45AM wake-up call.One of my problems is that I am incapable of ignoring music, and there are a few people who need to have their hearing checked in the neighborhood. I do count my blessings that no one is listening to hip-hop or rap, but i shouldn't be able to sing along with your music inside my house.

As for support, what I tell people is not to beat up on yourself too much because there are too many people in the world who will do it for you. (Want to give me "constructive criticism'? there's nothing constructive about tearing someone else down. That's destruction, not construction.)

I can understand why the other woman at that support group wanted to still keep that group.  I'd enjoy spending that amount of time with you myslef, so I can only applaud her good taste. It's also time out of the day when you don't have to feel guilty about all the other things that you aren't getting done somewhere else. That's why I don't get upset waiting on an appointment...it's time I don't have to beat myself up for all the things I should have the energy to get done. Tomorrow I think it will finall be safe to start on a steroid to get my pain levels down. I'm looing forward to it.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 5:39PM #4444
lapatosu

Quick stop for a visit.  Glad you were able to get out of bed, even though it caused all those aches and pains, KB.  I'm still messed up from the time change, but I'm lucky in that I don't have to worry about time tables and medication.

Joycie - Good for you on the ice cream thing.  I havn't had any for the last couple nights, but that's because I've been too lazy to go buy some. "laughing"  I've been substituting Special K, thinking that if I eat what's in the box, I'll look like that skinny 23 year old on the box.  I know, wishful thinking.

JB - The sheets did indeed get changed.  Today's task was to mow and weed wack the lawn.  With the little bit of rain we've had, the earth has decided to make up for lost time, or sieze the chance when offered, I don't know which, but in one week, the grass had grown so high, my side gate wouldn't open.  I didn't make it to the gym, but I did have quite a work out for the day.

I've been putting most of my energy into research for my tarot book.  I got 18 books from the university library today, most dealing with the Kabbalah in 15th century Italy.  I also checked out a book on Judaism, Mathematics, and the Hebrew Calendar." I'm hoping I can understand it better then Calculus.

Caren - What happened to your daughter's social security check?

Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2012 - 9:56AM #4445
CarenR

good thursday morning-well I have stopped losing weight until I can get some clothes that fit me now. I have still lost 10 pounds.

we have spring like weather every  day 84 degrees todayand sunny

I am having meatloaf and mashed potatoes today and red grapes.

Lapatosu-good for you getting the yard cut.and trimmed.

JOyceb-how is your day off going? any plans for the weekend?

my daughter has pnemonia.  

May God bless you everyone,

hugs, caren 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2012 - 12:59PM #4446
JoyceB53

Hi, there, how is everybody today?   We are sunny, birds are singing, and it's 70º.  And no, of course I haven't been outside, but I do have the front door open.  The Lady Across the Street came over to get her fan back a few minutes ago(the one she loaned me to dry out the carpet when the hot water tank busted)and get some magazines, so I just left the door open...it's just so pretty out there.

The time change has me messed up, too, Lap, Karbie.  I'm hoping that these four days off will help me adjust myself to it so I'll be back on a relatively normal sleep pattern...normal for me, that is.  LibraryLady has almost the same sleep schedule that I do, and it occured to me this morning that you could probably tell from the schedules that both of us used to work the night shift...and evidently we liked it, lol.  In fact, I think that I basically worked nights for probably 20 or more years, mostly because I just can't stand getting up early in the morning.   Getting up in the morning to go to work always meant I had to set an alarm clock, and I just detest waking up to an alarm.   I remember throwing one across the room, many moons ago, and listening to the very satisfactory sound of it breaking, lol.  'Course, it meant that I had to buy a new one on the way home from work that day, but I thought it was worth it!!!  On the shift I work now, I don't use an alarm, I just wake up naturally.  Much, much better!!

Another thing that occured to me a few days ago is that when I was a kid, young adult, middle-aged, the time changes didn't bother me at all, and I never could understand why other people complained about having their sleeping messed up.  Didn't make a bit of sense to me, not at all, at all.  Makes tremendous amounts of sense to me now, tho, sigh.  The last three or four years it has bothered me, but this change seems to be the worst one so far.  Now, aren't y'all absolutely fascinated by all that rambling about me and the time change?!?!?   All of that just because I was trying to commiserate with Lap and Karbie, lol.

Caren, I hope your daughter recovers easily and quickly from the pneumonia.  It can be really nasty stuff.  Fortunately I've never had to deal with it.  Prayer has been sent for her.

Nope, no plans other than the library...they have five books ready for me to pick up...and buying a few(very few)groceries.  What about you?  Doing anything interesting this weekend?  Anything with the Red Hats?

Lap, weed wacking and mowing the lawn is terrific exercise, which is why I'm so glad I'm living in an apartment...snicker.  I don't have to worry about any of that, as the landlord pays someone to come and do it, roughly every two weeks from spring thru fall.  Actually, it got done Monday, and the resident manager and his wife did it, not the outside crew.   They did a fine job, and it looks nice and trim in the yard.

You took out 18 books from the library?  Hmmmmm...sounds like someone else we know around here, eh?  *BIG goofy grin!*

Karbie, tell me about these rinseless products, please.  They might make my own life easier.  The body wash is also rinseless, like the shampoo?  What are the brand names?  How good a job does the shampoo do?  I'm very interested.  Anything that helps me to stay clean and non-stinky, without having to stand up in the shower, would be a wonderful thing indeed.  And yes, it's just about time for me to invest in a shower chair, or at least a stool that the water won't hurt.  Just part of the fun of being a senior, right?

Did you start the steroids?  Have they helped the pain levels yet?  I certainly hope so, bless your heart.

So.  Day one of my much loved four days off, what i call my "real life," now.  The Waffle House is just a hobby...snicker snort snert.  We were slow for the most part this week, which is fine by me, and Tuesday we were actually shut down from 2pm-5pm.  I got paid to sit outside in a chair and read my Shakespeare...not sure if I've already posted this or not, but if I have, well, just scroll on by.  I won't know nor will I mind, lol.  Anyway, we were bombed/fogged/exterminated, whatever you want to call it, so nobody could be in the store for a couple hours.  When I got there around 1:30, first shift had everything stripped down, so second shift didn't have to do that.  We did, however, have to put it all back later one, as well as do a thorough cleaning.  It took three of us about 45 minutes to do it, which wasn't bad at all.  The bad part about a serious extermination, tho, is that suddenly there will be roaches running everywhere, sigh.  Nasty.  We ended up losing a few customers, people that just got up and walked out, didn't pay for their food, cussing and screaming.  Double sigh.  Whaddya bet that 99% of them have roaches at home...after all, this is the Sunny South.  Hellooooo?  Finally we just started warning folks as they came in, letting them know that we'd been fogged and that the bugs were out in full force.  It was about half and half as to how many left and how many just pooh-poohed and said they didn't care, they were hungry!  God bless those brave souls, because even tho we'd been closed, and I only wrote seven guest checks, I still made a little over $25.  And like I said, the store was really clean.

This morning I got up at 11:30, which is a good time.  Monday and Tuesday, because of the time change, I overslept by an hour, and Wednesday I was up at 10:30, just to keep from oversleeping, lol.  So the sleep I've had now was good, and I'm hoping it means I'm back on track.

Which reminds me:  Y'all are familiar with the phones that you can get for free if you ge any kind of government assistance, like food stamps?   I don't have one, and won't.  According to several of my co-workers, the government is using those phones to keep track of people,  listening to their conversations, etc.  I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but even so, it's just one more reason I don't have a cell and don't want one.

Ok, I'm thru for today, I guess...and btw, the toilet is swished and the bed is made, and even tho I'm decent enough to go to the door, I'm not really what you'd call "dressed," lol.  Not even sure if i want to bother or not, either.  Y'all have a good day, hear?  God bless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 12:25AM #4447
karbie

I managed to skip my usual 3-5AM wake-up session--first time that's happened in a long time. So I got semi dressed and my poor husband actually got breakfast cooked for him. I actually went back downstairs and washed all the dishes that have been wildly reproducing while I was upstairs and got closer to our next free pizza. If all goes as planned, those boxes in the living room may be leaving tomorrow. It just  bothers me having them there.

I'm not sure if it's just because I picture what's in them and my last meal with Grandma at them, or if it's more of an imprint from everyone using them at the house after she'd gone in the nursing home and after she died. We have a new carpet steamer that has never been used because of them.

All in all, I've spent more time downstairs today than I have in a long time. It's a trend I need to work on, especially since it's cooler down a floor.

I first got the no-rinse stuff in the hospital, and depending on what's available, get either the 16 oz size or the gallon size shampoo and body wash to refill the bottles with.

No Rinse Shampoo, No Rinse Body Wash, usually found with the supplies for invalids.(www.norinse.com )You can also get thick baby wipes for sponge baths, considering what they are used for on babies! One night when I was staying with Mother, she was frantic because she needed a shower she was too tired to tae and she was getting up the next morning at an uncomfortable time for herself just so I could have her car to take Mom to her radiation treatments in the afternoon. I brought her in the shampoo and disposable washcloths. She keeps her hair short, so in under 10 minutes she felt like she'd just taken a shower and was amazed. Going from being sweatly and too tired to do anything about it to clean and ready for bed was a real boost for her.

When you go looking for shower chairs instead of benches--depending on the size of your shower, resin chairs are usually cheaper and have things like armrests for your washcloth. When I was going to need one after the spinal surgery, I pointed out that we had high-back resin chairs in the garage we could use. One of our favorite solutions--here and already paid for. Great for when you need to let the water run over  you but can't stand up long enough. Or in your case, after you've been on your feet all day to begin with.

I hope your daughter recovers soon. Pneuonia isn't one of my favorites, that's for sure.

Next week our son turns 25. Doesn't seem possible sometimes.

Have a good weekend everyone!

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 5:46PM #4448
JoyceB53

Karbie, I'm so delighted to see you up and about and getting things done, bless your heart.  And probably you're even more delighted than I am, right?  What will you do with all the boxes in the living room, have you decided that yet?  Hopefully you'll still have the energy and a low enough pain level to be able to carry thru with your plans.

Baby wipes!  Well, duh!   Why didn't I ever think of that?  And of course they've got to be gentle, since they're manufactured for such tender, sensitive skin as newborns have.  Thanks, Karbie, I will put baby wipes on my shopping list, and the next time I go shopping will pick some up.  I really appreciate the thought.

Caren, how is your daughter?  Just want to let you know she's still in my prayers.

So.  It's 79º outside, getting too hot now for me, and, we're getting that greenish yellow "snow" from the trees now, too...yes, folks, it's pollen time again, sigh.  Yesterday it was bad enough that it was managing to seep in while I had the front door open, as there's a couple places on the bottom that have pulled away from the top part.  And no, I didn't do it, it was like that when I moved in.   Anyway, it was enough to make my throat scratchy and gave me a tickle in my throat.  I didn't realize what it was until I went to get in LibraryLady's car, and the car was covered in all that yellow crap.  Ick.  The front door is open again today, but the pollen level must be lower, as it hasn't bothered me yet.

I got up around 10:45 this morning, and since I had a feeling that I wasn't really ready to stay up, I didn't get dressed or make the bed.   The toilet did get swished, however, and I took my vitamins and meds, had some breakfast, and read for a while.  About 12:30 noon I realized that yup, it was nap time, so went back in for a couple hours and now have been up since 2:30pm.  And this time, I'm dressed and the bed is made, most of the dishes are done, the kitchen floor is swept, the first load of laundry is drying and the second one is waiting patiently in the washer.  Oh, yeah, I've made some cashew butter, too.  YUM!!!

Yesterday I bought my groceries at Aldi, first time in many moons, and their cashews are $2.79 for the same size can that Kroger charges close to $5 for, seriously.  And, Aldi has started selling the little 4 oz. logs of goat cheese...for $1.99.  Same exact stuff that Kroger asks, again, almost $5 for!!  Amazing!  They had the plain goat cheese, garlic and herb flavored, and honey goat cheese, so I bought all three flavors, and an extra plain one, as well.   I'm not sure, but unless I need soymilk, other soy products, or some other type of "specialty" item, which really isn't all that often, I'll probably start shopping at Aldi again.  They have almost all of what I want/need, they are a lot cheaper, and the store is smaller, which makes it easier for me to get in and out.  One BIG complaint I have, tho, is that Aldi doesn't carry magazines, sigh.  Major drawback, lol!

Along with the chores I've done, and the reading, I've also almost finished a pretty big Zentangle(R), and finished the two page spread in my small journal that I did the background for a few days ago.  The book I'm reading now is "Dog On It," by somebody or other Quinn, Richard, I think.  It's a Chet and Bennie mystery, with Chet being a dog, and the whole book being done from Chet's perspective.  Chet is really funny.   I'm hoping I can find more of the series, as I'm really enjoying it. 

Thursday evening I made Tofu "Meat"Loaf w/Onion and Mushroom Gravy...again.  It's a recipe I've made about four times, I think, and it's pretty good.  The loaf is really good the next day, cold, with mustard, in a sandwich, just like "real" meatloaf is.  Yesterday I didn't bother cooking, I just ate sandwiches all day, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do for supper today.   I'm pretty sure I don't feel like cooking...again, lol.   Maybe later, I dunno.

Anyway, I can't think of anything else to say.  It's sure quiet here, is everybody ok?  Anybody talked to Keegon lately?  She hasn't been here in a long time.

Hope y'all have a good evening, and a good Sunday.  God bless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2012 - 8:49AM #4449
CarenR

good sunday morin-

This is  scenes of Jesus and angels in the sky-it is beautiful

http:www.beliefnet.com/jesus

Today I will watch cooking shows.

joyceb- thank you for praying for my daughter jennifer. she has pnemonia

May God bless you today.

hugs, caren

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2012 - 5:49PM #4450
JoyceB53

Caren, you are welcome for the prayers for Jennifer.  I hope she recovers soon.  Pneumonia is nasty stuff.  I copied and pasted the link you provided, but bnet said that the page wasn't available any longer.

So. Again, it's quiet here today, and I'm hoping that everyone is busy, and not sick or too depressed to post.  Here in the metro area the sun is out, it's 83ºF, and across the street, on the two big oak trees over there, I can see the springtime pollen hanging from their branches.  The cars in the parking lot here are almost a solid yellowish-green, that's how bad the pollen is.   I guess y'all know that I'm just gonna stay right here in the house where it's cool and pollen free!!!

This morning I got up a little after 11, and I've had a fairly productive, as well as enjoyable, day.  The bed is made, the toilet is swished, the kitchen and bathroom floors have both been mopped(!!), and the living room/hallway/bedroom have all been more or less vacuumed.  And yesterday evening, I actually put away both loads of laundry!!  I finally got around to cleaning off the shelf that the houseplants had sat on, and have put books and "stuff" there.  For now, I'm pleased with it, altho knowing me, I'll decide to do something different with it later on.  Probably.  maybe.  And maybe not...moving the books is a bit of a chore, and even tho I didn't pick up heavy loads, I did end up bending down a lot, to pick up just a few at a time, and, now my back hurts.  Badly.  Waaa waaawaaaa!  But it's done, I like it, and I'm not going to mess with it for a while, anyway.   And having done that, most of my stacks are now taken care of, ta-da!  I've still got a few small ones, but they can wait a bit longer.

Last night's supper was the tofu "meat" loaf chunked up and reheated in the onion and mushroom gravy, along with some leftover green beans w/soy sour cream and a baked potato.  Right now there are pieces of old bread(I freeze the heels just for this purpose, btw)toasting and drying out in the toaster oven, to make seasoned bread crumbs that will cover homemade mac and cheese.  Friday I found nice looking broccoli crowns, three in a pack, for 89¢(!)at Aldi.  Can you say, "SCORE?!?!?"  So I'm going to steam them, and, if my energy holds up, and it may not, I'm planning on having a sauteed haddock fillet, as well.  Haddock is supposed to be an iron-rich food, and last week at Kroger I couldn't find any, but Aldi had the bags of frozen fillets, so I grabbed one.

Yesterday evening I finished "Dog On It," and the author's name that I couldn't remember?  Spencer.  Spencer Quinn, and I'm planning on ordering all the rest of his books from the library.  Chet, the dog, is hilarious, so I want to read more of him.  Right now I haven't started another book...a magazine and doing Zentangle(R) and another two page journal spread got in the way...but I'm going to start another Jane Austen book.  This one is short stories and unfinished novels, it's a thin book, and shouldn't take me too long.

So.  That's my day, how has yours been?  I hope it's been good.  God bless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 445 of 977  •  Prev 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 ... 977 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook