Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Caregiving is tough
9 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 7:38AM #11
just_jo
Thanks, yogalover,you know that is one thing that is scaring me also with my husband is he has been forgetting and he walks around like he is lost. Can they diagnose Alzheimers?? It would be greatful if we can support one another, thank you!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 7:46AM #12
just_jo
Believe me dakota i try to find time!! I do get to go at least once a week to town and i find myself lingering longer than i should feel guilty go home only for him to tell me i was gone to long.But its always worth that extra minute after i think about it. Thank you for your post  it means alot!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 4:06PM #13
MarleneEmmett5
[QUOTE=just_jo;751868]Thanks, yogalover,you know that is one thing that is scaring me also with my husband is he has been forgetting and he walks around like he is lost. Can they diagnose Alzheimers?? It would be greatful if we can support one another, thank you!![/QUOTE]
Just_jo:
Alzheimer's can be diagnosed.
I suggest that you make an appointment with a Neurologist.
They are doctors who specialize in treating things like Alzheimer's and Epilepsy.
I know as I've had Epilepsy since the age of 6.
Where are you located????
The reason I ask is I know of a really good doctor in Greatneck, Long Island,NY.
Otherwise, get a referral from your family doctor ~ or ask your insurance company.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 8:14PM #14
dakota
JustJo , thinking about you. How are you doing?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2008 - 11:04PM #15
Nomi69
[QUOTE=just_jo;733768]I really am not sure how to jump into this but like my Dad always says you have to get your feet wet if you really want to know.. My husband has gone through a tremendous ordeal with open heart surgery and 4 strokes afterward, I have done all the things I thought i should but it seems it is never enough for him.He Has gone from working all the time to just not being able to do anything because he is disabled. I have tried to get hin to do things little things to keep him going but it never seems to be good enough. Heputs down anything i try to do or do with him. He is nine yrs. my senior and have been with him since 1998 and the effects of the strokes have left him so diffrent. I understand his diabilitys are tremendous not being able to work not being able to see very well his attention span is very little. The rehab has said he is fine of course no insurance they tend to do that. My health went down hill i have thyroid diease was not taking my medicine and ran myself to the ground untill my mom stepped in (she lives 16hrs away) and got me on my feet a little better, but it just has not changed for my husband any and all i can do is cry and try to keep going.The tears seem to keep flowing and i just dont know what to do. I am open to suggestions........[/QUOTE]

My 2nd husband died in 1999 from COPD. At times I had him and both parents to care for. It has left me absolutely wornout. I was so exhauted prior to his death, that I was going to have to put him in a nursing home, which he did not look forward to. He was a large man, and fell about 3 times, and just about impossible for me to get up alone. He died one week prior to getting him ready to go into a nursing home...by my side.  We had been married for 13 years. I lvoed him dearly, but I just knew something would have to change, had he not died when he did. You might want to consider a nursing facility. Caregiving can just become too much, no matter how hard you try.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2008 - 11:04PM #16
Nomi69
[QUOTE=just_jo;733768]I really am not sure how to jump into this but like my Dad always says you have to get your feet wet if you really want to know.. My husband has gone through a tremendous ordeal with open heart surgery and 4 strokes afterward, I have done all the things I thought i should but it seems it is never enough for him.He Has gone from working all the time to just not being able to do anything because he is disabled. I have tried to get hin to do things little things to keep him going but it never seems to be good enough. Heputs down anything i try to do or do with him. He is nine yrs. my senior and have been with him since 1998 and the effects of the strokes have left him so diffrent. I understand his diabilitys are tremendous not being able to work not being able to see very well his attention span is very little. The rehab has said he is fine of course no insurance they tend to do that. My health went down hill i have thyroid diease was not taking my medicine and ran myself to the ground untill my mom stepped in (she lives 16hrs away) and got me on my feet a little better, but it just has not changed for my husband any and all i can do is cry and try to keep going.The tears seem to keep flowing and i just dont know what to do. I am open to suggestions........[/QUOTE]

My 2nd husband died in 1999 from COPD. At times I had him and both parents to care for. It has left me absolutely wornout. I was so exhauted prior to his death, that I was going to have to put him in a nursing home, which he did not look forward to. He was a large man, and fell about 3 times, and just about impossible for me to get up alone. He died one week prior to getting him ready to go into a nursing home...by my side.  We had been married for 13 years. I lvoed him dearly, but I just knew something would have to change, had he not died when he did. You might want to consider a nursing facility. Caregiving can just become too much, no matter how hard you try.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2008 - 9:37PM #17
just_jo
I am doing o.k. dakota thank you for asking. Things are a little better I have finally gotten my husband into the V.A. have not been able to catch up on things as it has really been overwelming and stressfull trying to get him in benifits he so deserves. We have an app. to see a DR. at the V.A. so hopefully we can get on track again. I sure need a break!! Thanks tho for asking brings tears to mr eyes and joy to my heart to see a message like yours. Hope you are in turn doing good.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2008 - 9:45PM #18
just_jo
[QUOTE=MarleneEmmett5;752551]Just_jo:
Alzheimer's can be diagnosed.
I suggest that you make an appointment with a Neurologist.
They are doctors who specialize in treating things like Alzheimer's and Epilepsy.
I know as I've had Epilepsy since the age of 6.
Where are you located????
The reason I ask is I know of a really good doctor in Greatneck, Long Island,NY.
Otherwise, get a referral from your family doctor ~ or ask your insurance company.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Marlene I live in Kansas close to Wichita so he does have a good neuroligist so I will call and talk with him about this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook