Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View NEW Care Giver HERE
9 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 6:38PM #1
DWalt954
Hi everyone. David here in Fort Lauderdale. I have been a Care Giver for my mother - she's 90 years old - for 4 years now. It's more demanding on me than ever. It DOES take strength. There are times I feel like throwing in the towel. I have Type 1 Diabetes. That requires management 24/7.  My back aches often from stress; and I feel I own stock on Doans Pills! I balance out all this by meeting up with friends at night. Take care. God Bless!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 5:56PM #2
MarleneEmmett5
[QUOTE=DWalt954;696187]Hi everyone. David here in Fort Lauderdale. I have been a Care Giver for my mother - she's 90 years old - for 4 years now. It's more demanding on me than ever. It DOES take strength. There are times I feel like throwing in the towel. I have Type 1 Diabetes. That requires management 24/7.  My back aches often from stress; and I feel I own stock on Doans Pills! I balance out all this by meeting up with friends at night. Take care. God Bless![/QUOTE]
DWalt954/David:
I thought that having to help take care of my mother when she had a stroke and then was diagnosed with a
inoperative brain tumor was something~ She had the stoke on January 26,1973 and passed on September
29,1973 at the age of 60. I was 19 when she passed.
Dad wanted to keep her at home instead of placing her in a nursing home/hospital.
I've got Epilepsy since age 6~but have been seizure free since 1986.
But being the care giver for your mother for over 4 years is something else all together~ You deserve a medal!!!!

I found that after it was done I thought I had "used up all of my internal strength": But I was wrong.
Since then I've found out that I have more internal strength than I knew~ I got married in 1978 to a great guy
What I didn't know was that he suffered from ADHD.
It's like living with a 16 year old,who has the patience of a 4 year old~ I kid you not.
I'm married for 30 years~can you imagine the stress I've got to put up with?????

By the way, as a back suffer, I can tell you this: Doan's pills don't work!
Better off with BenGay & a hot shower, and some Bayer Back & Body!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 6:49AM #3
Moon-Raven61
Hi David, First I must commend you on your stamina. I too have a Mother here and I find that sometimes if I retreat to my office/studio, put on some soft music and create; it's puts my mind at ease if only for a minute. Usually this is while she is napping. I'm not too far away but far enough if you know what I mean. Alone time is also very important. Have you tried Meditation as well as your other activities? Body, Mind & Spirit are what make us whole.
Keep The Faith,
Moon Raven
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2008 - 1:30PM #4
DWalt954
Thanks for your input! Sorry you've had to deal with so much yourself. I'll look for the Bayer. God Bless you and THANK YOU! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2008 - 1:34PM #5
DWalt954
Moon-Raven: Thanks for your response, too. I listen to subliminal CDs and tapes - Pathways to Mastership, Jonathon Parker and other single tapes on various issues. My older brother "turned me on" to these recordings and they have actually saved me! The topics consist of: Melt Stress, Powerful Immune System, Confidence, Supercharger, Synchronicity, et al. Thank you, again :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2008 - 11:17PM #6
Nomi69
[QUOTE=DWalt954;696187]Hi everyone. David here in Fort Lauderdale. I have been a Care Giver for my mother - she's 90 years old - for 4 years now. It's more demanding on me than ever. It DOES take strength. There are times I feel like throwing in the towel. I have Type 1 Diabetes. That requires management 24/7.  My back aches often from stress; and I feel I own stock on Doans Pills! I balance out all this by meeting up with friends at night. Take care. God Bless![/QUOTE]

Like a kind soul. BUT I would suggest you consider a nursing facility. It is bound to be harming your health to do all you say. Sometimes we have to make tough decisions, but can be for the best, in the end. I wish you well.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2008 - 11:17PM #7
Nomi69

Like a kind soul. BUT I would suggest you consider a nursing facility. It is bound to be harming your health to do all you say. Sometimes we have to make tough decisions, but can be for the best, in the end. I wish you well.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook