Page 1 of 111  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 111 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Who is an "orthodox" Christian?
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 6:16PM #1
maplewood
Is someone who professess the Creed an orthodox christian? Is that all there is, or are there more requirements?

This came up in another thread, and it was thought that the question may make for a good thread in itself, so I pose it here.

What, in your opinion, is a base-minimum requirement for a person to be considered "orthodox", i.e, "of correct opinion" regarding the Christian faith?  And why? 

Can it just be the Creed?  Is there more? 

Thanks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 6:34PM #2
danman916
[QUOTE=maplewood;213721]Is someone who professess the Creed an orthodox christian? Is that all there is, or are there more requirements?
[/QUOTE]
It depends. People attach different meanings to words within the Creed. When I was an evangelical, we recited the Creed, but I know that they interpreted what the Creed meant quite differently.
They didn't believe that baptism was removed sins. They didn't interpret the terms, One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic in regards to the Church in the same way that the Catholic Church does.

So reciting or believing a Creed is useless unless one has a common understanding of what that Creed means.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 6:41PM #3
Buggsy
Personally I think it has nothing to do with words, systems, organisations or institutions. Or with reciting words, understanding systems, attending buildings or supporting institutions.

Having removed these 'things' we're left with people and their actions.  Since the human body cannot be considered 'orthodox' and since thoughts cannot be orthodox -either random thoughts or concepts, then only behaviour can rightfully be considered 'orthodox'.

What behaviour?  Behaviour that conforms to an instruction, rules, codes or dictates of behaviour or behaviour that is informed by compassion and love - as Jesus taught?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 6:42PM #4
gilg
[QUOTE=maplewood;213721]Is someone who professess the Creed an orthodox christian? Is that all there is, or are there more requirements?

Can it just be the Creed?  Is there more? 

Thanks![/QUOTE]

If you practice what Christ taught and lived then you can be considered an Orthodox Christian, but simply saying this and that does not mean much.

Maplwood,

What is your real question? Are you asking what one must believe in order to be part of the Christian Identity? Or are you saying that no one completely practices what Christ practiced and thus none of us can really be Christian? Other?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 6:53PM #5
Buggsy
gilg

Is it important what a person believes?  What if they worship cats, trees, rocks and stones but are compassionate, respectful and kind?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 7:04PM #6
gilg
Buggsy,

My opinion is that it is what a person practices that is critical, what they say they believe may have nothing to do with how they act. Besides, we are all capable of believing contradictary things and it is what we do that counts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 7:10PM #7
jlb32168
[QUOTE=Buggsy;213797]Is it important what a person believes?[/quote]

The 1st Commandment in Christ’s time was considered, “I am the Lord thy God, who have brought thee out of the land of Egypt and out of the house of bondage.”

The only thing being commanded here is that one is to believe in the Hebrew deity and acknowledge Him as their specific deity to the exclusion of all others.  It would seem then that belief is not negligible.

[QUOTE=Buggsy;213797]What if they worship cats, trees, rocks and stones but are compassionate, respectful and kind?[/QUOTE]

Well, I would say that all depends on whether or not God has revealed Himself directly to them.
Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 7:49PM #8
Buggsy
[QUOTE=gilg;213826] it is what we do that counts.[/QUOTE]

Totally dude
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 7:51PM #9
Buggsy
[QUOTE=jlb32168;213841] . . .  to the exclusion of all others. [/QUOTE]

What others? 

You mean the other names?  Just words in my view.  One God means one god.  People call it what they like and see it how they feel but in reality there's only one, isn't there?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2008 - 7:55PM #10
maplewood
[QUOTE=gilg;213773]If you practice what Christ taught and lived then you can be considered an Orthodox Christian, but simply saying this and that does not mean much.

Maplwood,

What is your real question? Are you asking what one must believe in order to be part of the Christian Identity? Or are you saying that no one completely practices what Christ practiced and thus none of us can really be Christian? Other?[/QUOTE]

Gilg: real question?  I asked it, actually.  If it confuses you, or you see if differently, okay - I'll try again.

By orthodox, I mean correct belief; someone who is one of the church; a believer; someone you think has "got it"; someone who would feel comfortable sitting next to in the pew.

Yes, there is an issue as to what consitutes "orthodox", which started the whole thread, and which is why I started it.  Is it possible to come up with a bare minimum definition?  A little clearer now?

Also, you bring up a good point - walk versus talk.  Should we take people at their word when they profess the Creed, or do they have to prove themselves first?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 111  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 111 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook