Page 6 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Lyrica (leer-i-kah) anyone?
7 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 11:40AM #51
ZandriaC
[QUOTE=bubbysmommy;183471][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I am using a Canadian pharmacy called canadadrugs.com. Here is the link. http://www.canadadrugs.com The Tramadol that I had been taking is cheap enough. The new medication is Ultram ER. It is an extended release form of the drug & isn't covered by my insurance. I only have to take this one once a day vs the 6x a day that I was taking the Tramadol. I have found that this Canadian pharmacy has the cheaper prices & carries more meds. Good luck[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Thanks Jodi!

I'll check it out.  I don't have any insurance right now because my insurance was through the temp agency. Since my contract with them expired and they haven't found me another one, I'm just out of luck.

-Zan
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2008 - 4:02AM #52
SunRaz
I just want to make sure you all know that some manufactures have programs for free or reduced meds, based on income.
I used to get a few of my meds free. I think it saved me a few hundred a month because my most expensive meds were covered.
If you need the information let me know, I have it. I recently filed it away so just post and I'll dig it up.

HEY....

I'm wiped out from Lyrica. If I don't make sence it's because of it. I just started taking it a week ago and I'm so dizzy and light headed I can hardly think straight. Tonight I doubled my dose. WOW. I'm lucky I stayed home because I crashed hard. I was so dizzy I just grabbed a blanket and went with it for about 2 hours. I slept it off.

Is this what everyone went through? It stinks! I best call my doctor and tell her what's going on. I don't know if this will go away or what? It's so weird. i can't really function.

I've had to redo my spelling and its taken me about an hour to type this... I'm logging off for now..

I would appreciate some feedback on how others felt at first... thanks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2008 - 3:14PM #53
AisaAhava
I have been taking Lyrica since it first came onto the market, and I am now taking 300mg per day.  From what I can remember from reading the Fibromyalgia Network's newsletter article on Lyrica, it is an anti-convulsant medication, which has been found to inhibit the pain signals sent to the brain from the spinal cord, in patients with Fibrimyalgia, and it is an alternative to Neurontin, which can require enormous doses to get relief (I was on 2400mg/day).  In another recent article on Lyrica, there was discusson of the optimum dose for FM sufferers being between 300-600mg per day.  I have not noticed any real change in my pain since starting Lyrica, but I don't want to stop taking it, in case it's doing some good that I don't notice, because of all the other medication I take.  (Btw, I am new to this forum and I will tell my story in another thread.)

I also took Cymbalta for a brief time, in early 2005.  Although, it is in the same drug class as Effexor, and I took that medication for several years,  Cymbalta did not help my depression or pain and made me suicidal.  But, for those who might wish to know more about this drug, it is considered tro be an anti-depressant and acts, partially, like an SSRI.  But, because it contains both Seritonin and Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, it is in another classification (SSNRI, or something like that).  Cymbalta acts on both of these neuortransmitters, and can help with mood and pain.  If you try Cymbalta and have an adverse reaction, conosider speaking with your doctor about trying Effexor instead. 

I am glad to know that others are finding relief from one or both of these medications.  I have read that there are approximately 10 other medications being considered for approval, byt the FDA, for treatment of Fybromyalgia, and I am so happy to see that this disease is being validated, through commercials on the illness and FDA approval of medications for treatment of FM.  I hope the information I have given will help those who are considering either of these medications as part of their treatment regimen.  Also, if anyone is looking for a great source of information on research and findings, new treatments, and other topics related to Fibromyalgia, the Fibromyalgia Network is a great place to go.  You can become a member for what I consider to be a very reasonable fee for the numerous benefits you receive. 

Anne
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2008 - 3:34PM #54
RAmon1919
I just wanted to express what my doctors have told me. My Doctor has it too!!!
The only thing that has helped mine is the mixure of Prozac 20mg, once a day with Celbrex 150mg? once a day. It
has helped until I losted my Job and had to go back to the VA Clinic. Now I hurt just as bad as if didn't take anything at all. Now the VA Doctors have me on Flexril,Vicodone, and some other things, now I have HBP on top of everything else, and  My spouse just don't understand the kind of hurting and not feeling well everyday is like. That is alot of stress and the more stress we  have the more we hurt and depressed we get. I try to stay with my Faith and Prayer and it does help at least I know I am not the only one and God is with me and hurting too.
Keeping you all in my Prayers, May God Bless you!!
Reverend Richard L. Amon
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 5:54AM #55
SunRaz
Reverend,

I'm sorry to hear your in pain after finding some meds that worked for you. Can't the VA approve the med's you were on? It seems like if you were doing well, they would keep you on those meds?  Some medication manufacturers have programs for their meds but with VA benes I'm not sure about qualifying. It might be worth some phone calls?

As for the challenges with your wife, it's so common for us to have those kinds of things happen. Whether its family, friends or spouses... all of us experence some rejection from those we love. It's a difficult siuation... but then again, it really only takes a little understanding, on both sides. I think many spouses are greiving their old lives too. When we change because of an illnees like Fibromyalgia, their lives change too.
Have you ever said to her, I understand you may feel some resentment or disappointment because of my illness, I'm sorry and I appreciate when you share your feelings about it... etc. Maybe that would open a dialog? If she wants to   understand (or not), ask her to read a couple of the threads on this board! If she read the things we all post regarding our struggles with pain, etc. maybe she would start to understand what others go through. She could see that your not exagerating or 'the only one', so to speak.
I heard a person say once that she used to leave printout's from web sights about fibro all over the house. Pretty soon her husband started reading some of them and he started to understand a little. At least he opened up about it. Get creative and let her know you want her to try to understand because you love her. Let her know your willing to do the same for her.
A Fibro support group in my area is starting a spouse support group this month. While we're in our group, spouses will be in theirs. Check your area.
I live with a brother that isn't very thoughtful and could care less that I have challenges with my health. He's mean to me and takes his anger out on me... so your certianly not alone in the 'trying to get others to understand' department! Hang in there and join us to vent or share successes!
I read some where that if you want to help someone understand what we go through with constant pain, get a wood clothes pin and put it on the tip of a persons finger and tell them to go about their business but... they can't take it off for a period of time... long enough that they get the idea of what it's like to have a constant ache that preoccupies them.
It's not anything close to what we experience... you know what I mean. It's just a way of getting someone to understand how distracting pain is and to get them to think about what it would be like to be in constant discomfort.

I know that for me, there is a reason I've become ill. I'm learning all the time what is important and what isn't. More will be revealed... Sometimes the lessons are painful and sometimes they bring joy. I guess I have to learn to take the not so good, with the totally awsome!! LOL

Nice to see you and please join us when you can! Let us know how you do! I hope you can get back on the meds that gave you relief. Don't give up, we've all got to finght for what we need from the medical community. They can be pretty tight about giving us what we need! Go for it!

Blessings, Sun
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 3:30PM #56
ZandriaC
[QUOTE=RAmon1919;190137]I just wanted to express what my doctors have told me. My Doctor has it too!!!
The only thing that has helped mine is the mixure of Prozac 20mg, once a day with Celbrex 150mg? once a day. It
has helped until I losted my Job and had to go back to the VA Clinic. Now I hurt just as bad as if didn't take anything at all. Now the VA Doctors have me on Flexril,Vicodone, and some other things, now I have HBP on top of everything else, and  My spouse just don't understand the kind of hurting and not feeling well everyday is like. That is alot of stress and the more stress we  have the more we hurt and depressed we get. I try to stay with my Faith and Prayer and it does help at least I know I am not the only one and God is with me and hurting too.
Keeping you all in my Prayers, May God Bless you!!
Reverend Richard L. Amon[/QUOTE]

Rev. Amon-

I wish you the best of luck with the VA doctors. A number of my mother's friends have had to deal with VA doctors and not had good experiences, so I wish you all the best.

God Bless
-Zan
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2008 - 5:56AM #57
SunRaz
Welcome to the board! Great to see you here, but sorry for the reason.

Your post was very informative. Thanks!

I personally am on Effexor. Have been for years and like it. I'm also taking Trazadone for sleep and it's considered an antidepressant too. It knocks me out!!
I also tried Cymbalta, didn't like it. Or should I say it didn't like me? I dunno but I ended up not being able to take it! Now I'm trying the Lyrica and am having weird side effects! Actually I guess being lightheaded is one of the side effects listed so nothing unusual. But it's frustrating having symptoms that are so strong. I have to be home and plan on not driving when I take my evening dose because of how lightheaded I get. That's not good. I'll see my doctor on the 21st and will talk to her about it. I've cut my dosage back a little to see if i do better on a lower dose. I'm not feeling any pain relief from it. That's disappointing. I don't know what to think at the moment. I'm sure a bit more time will tell.

Glad to meet you Anne!

I host this group so if you have any questions let me know, I should be able to help you, and if I can't I'll find someone who can! LOL

SunRaz
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2008 - 10:38AM #58
shortyred49
i've been on it since it came out and i can tell you that it has helped me tremendously! i've experienced swollen hands but that's all and who cares!  the pain relief is well worth it.   it hasn't taken away all the pain but taken me from a 12 to a 7  on a scale of 10.  that's a great day for me.  you should at least try it if you haven't.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2008 - 12:25PM #59
kaydee
I have been taking Lyrica since Oct. '07.  I take 225 mgs a day. I also saw the commercial on TV and called for info before taking it to my doctor. I was up to 1500 mgs a  day on Neurontin, now down to 1000 mgs. I am also on Welbrutrin, Sulindac, Prozac. Lots of meds, but I also have problems with my spine. So these are my lifesavers.
I also tried Cymbalta. Wow, it made me sick where I was feeling nausas and dizzy.
Neurontin and Lyrica I was told for nerve pain which I have. Everyone is diiferent and to wait 3-4 months to see an improvement.
Kaydee
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2008 - 1:12PM #60
bubbysmommy
[QUOTE=kaydee;215247] Everyone is diiferent and to wait 3-4 months to see an improvement.
Kaydee[/QUOTE][COLOR="DarkGreen"]
I agree. Give it time. I don't know what I would would do without it myself. It is the 1st time in nearly 14yrs that I have a handle on the pain. Not that it is gone, but by golly I can live with it now.[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook