Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Lyrica (leer-i-kah) anyone?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2007 - 5:19PM #1
SunRaz
I'm wondering if anyone has tried this medication, Lyrica?

There is a commerical on TV about it being approved for Fibromyalgia pain. I'd like to hear feedback from people who have tried it.

I think I remember hearing about it a couple years ago, is that possible? I think it may have been around but just recently approved for Fibro. Anyone else remember hearing about it before this year? Or is it brand new?

I'd like to hear some good news for once about a medication helping us! It's great to see a med being approved for us!!  It''s a good sign towards recognition and acceptance of Fibromyalgia! Now, does it work?

Please share if you have any information!

Thanks, Sun
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2007 - 9:33PM #2
PomegranateStaindGrn
I'd heard about it several years ago also - so yes, it was possible for you to have heard of it.  I've not taken it nor have I known anyone else who has so I'm of no help there.  Sorry.

I think there is a bunch of misconceptions and misinformation about these pain disorders.  I'll be happy when we don't have to suffer the doubt of doctors or know more than the doctors do. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2007 - 10:10PM #3
aegarner
Hi guys,

I'm going to be starting Lyrica in Dec.  It's the first FDA approved med for fibro pain.  I used to take cymbalta, but it didn't help at all.  From what I know Lyrica is suppossed to be along the same lines as the cymbalta in the way that they work.  The best thing that i can tell you is if you want more info on either of them is to go to the web sites.

aegarner
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 5:25AM #4
SunRaz
Thanks you two... I'd be interested in hearing how you do with Lyrica, aegarner.  If you don't mind sharing? I tried Cymbalta too, it didn't help me either. I'd like to know if you notice any side effects, etc. I know we all react different to these meds, but I'd appreciate any feedback you'd like to share!

I checked out the web sight... You know how that goes, all the basic info. I did notice the side effects though, and I'd be interested in knowing if they are prominent with anyone. I can always talk to my doctor, but I'd rather hear from people who have actually tried it!

I've been to a couple health seminars lately. At a Health Fair I went to in Oct (last month) Dr Jacob Teitelbaum gave a 2 hour talk about fibromyalgia. He's been on the Oprah Network with Dr Oz discussing Fibromyalgia also. Very knowledgeable guy when it comes to Fibro and CFS. He's written 3 books about managing chronic pain and fatigue. He claims to have had chronic fatigue and fibro and turned his life around and lives pain free with energy today.

I guess Dr Oz was on Oprah recently and had a woman on saying she is in remission, or 'cured' from her fibro symptoms by staying on Oz's diet/excersize program. I logged on Oprah.com and read about it. It was interesting. It had to do with a lot of positive self reinforcement. Like get up every morning and say a  bunch of positive stuff about yourself and your day. You eat only fresh food. Fruits and Vege's, etc. Drink lot's of water, get exercise and so on. It lasts 90 days.

I know most of my problem comes from not keeping myself motivated. I'll admit it!! If I saw a doctor like Dr Oz and had him in my corner encouraging me, I think it would make a difference, don't you? I'm fatigued so much of the time, and in pain... it's so difficult to keep pushing myself everyday! I do pretty darn good until I hit a wall like I did after Thanksgiving! To much turkey? LOL. I know I'm lucky that I can rest when I don't feel good. Lot's of you have kids and work, etc. Your my hero's!

Sun
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 6:42AM #5
iamelting
I have been on cymbalta since it was approved for Fibro and it made a major difference for me with minimal side effects.  1 big thing I like about it is the antidepression effect.  From my readings, Lyrica does not have the antidepressant advantage which means I would have to take 2 meds instead of 1(and with all the other meds I take for the arthritis, migraines, chronic pain that is a big deal for me) and the side effects from Lyrica are numerous.  However, I have a Dr. appt next Mon. and plan on discussing with him.  He is a great Dr. and has worked with me for 10 years with all my issues so if he thinks we should give it a try, I will and report back what is going on with it.
I am in the Dallas, TX area and it turned cold last week with 6 inches of rain this weekend.  That has set the pain just raging.  This time of year is especially difficult with the pain and makes the fatigue much worse.
I will be looking forward to reports back on the Lyrica.  I feel encouraged that more meds are being worked on and Dr.s are letting the public know about FMS.
Dr. Oz does make you wish you could just get an appointment with him and he could solve all your problems.
Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers with the healing energy of Reiki coming your way.
Lu
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 6:13PM #6
bubbysmommy
[COLOR="Purple"]I have been taking Lyrica for several months now. The biggest problem for me is that it caused a major spike in my blood sugar. Enough of one that I have now been diagnosed with Diabetes & am taking medication to control it. I will however, not stop taking the Lyrica because it is the 1st time in 14yrs that the burning pain in my back & leg has been manageable. In fact, I told my doctor that he could have the Lyrica back when he pried it out of my stiff dead fingers! LOL
It really does work that well for me. We are up to 150mgs 2x a day right now but will be increasing it on Monday to 200. I hope that this helps.
[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 1:34AM #7
ZandriaC
Thanks for the info. My doctor has me on wellbutrin. Has anyone ever tried that and is lyrica better than that? If so, I'm gonna ask my doctor about it bc the last couple of months my fms is getting worse. Also, I've been getting a migraine about 2-3 times a week. I practically live on excedrin migraine and it's become a natural habit like my morning coffee or morning water. Also, I have hypoglycemia (produces too much insulin) and I was wondering if that would help maintain my hypoglycemia.

Just curious your thoughts.
Thanks!
-Zan

[QUOTE=bubbysmommy;101225][COLOR="Purple"]I have been taking Lyrica for several months now. The biggest problem for me is that it caused a major spike in my blood sugar. Enough of one that I have now been diagnosed with Diabetes & am taking medication to control it. I will however, not stop taking the Lyrica because it is the 1st time in 14yrs that the burning pain in my back & leg has been manageable. In fact, I told my doctor that he could have the Lyrica back when he pried it out of my stiff dead fingers! LOL
It really does work that well for me. We are up to 150mgs 2x a day right now but will be increasing it on Monday to 200. I hope that this helps.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 9:51PM #8
karbie
I started on Lyrica about 5 weeks ago, but the initial prescription didn't have enough pills for me to get to the full dosage. Hopefully, I'll be picking up a 90 day and a bridge prescription tomorrow. This is supposed to be a step up from Neurontin; the first day I was able to take it every 8 hours to build up for full strength and could take it with a Vicodin--the pain wasn't gone but at least it had to whisper instead of shout. I got 4 hours of DEEP sleep straight. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on enough to do the 2 pills every 12 hours.
  I'll keep you posted.
Love, Karen
"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 11:10PM #9
aegarner
HI talked to the doc today, my morphine is down to 15 mg extended release every 12, and then 15mg of instant release every 4-6 hours.  I take the extended release for 2 more weeks then discontinue it, then will wean off the instant release.  Instead of the lyrica cause i was nervous about so i'm going to try cymbalta again but at 90 mg instead of the normal 60 mg.  Hope fully it helps.  I'm also doing a home remedy for chronic pain that seems to be working, i've been on it almost a month and my pain hasn't been to the point i can't control it with my regular meds.  Told the Physical therapist about my falling down the stairs and told the doc too, but they didn't seem to concerned.  I see the doc in 3 weeks so I'll let you know how things go,  and keep you updated on my progress tilll then.

Hope all is well

aegarner
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 7:23AM #10
SunRaz
Lyrica isn't a antidepressant like Wellbutrin. I know a lot of doctors are prescribing antidepressant's for the pain of Bibro, if that's why your taking it? Lyrica isn't the same kind of med at all. You'd want to talk to your doctor about whether or not to add Lyrica to your medications or not. There are quite a bit of side effects listed for it so I would like to hear from a few people who have taken it and hear how they do with it. I know everyone is effected differently by different meds, but  I like to get to know a little about these meds. Especially since it's new to Fibro patients.

I'm worried about you taking all the excedrin! Please talk to your doctor about your migranes. It's really bad for your liver and tummy and other parts to be taking too much excederin.Maybe there is something else you could try that would be better and work better for you. Just tell your doctor and ask him/her what they think. Or have you? Migranes are awful so I feel for you! They are pretty common with FMS. Ask around and talk to others who have them, maybe someone is taking or doing something that works well and you can talk to your MD about it.

Please be careful K? How long have you been diagnosed with Fibro? Do you have some good resources for information about it? Let me know and if you want, I can get you some information! There are a couple really good web sights out there with excellent information!

Hugs, Sun
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook