Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Nutritional Support
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2013 - 2:03AM #51
JoyceB53

Well, dang.  Just, dang!!!  Ok, NHT, thanks for the heads-up, and believe me, i will go check all my frozen veggies.  Who knew, right?  China?  Ok, that's scary, as far as I'm concerned.

Do you and your SO eat oats?  I've been making my own oat flour and baking pans of a sorta kinda oat bread for a couple months now, and don't seem to be having any ill effects from it...which is great, 'cause I love it.  Anyway, I read somewhere that oats aren't recommended because of the chance of cross-contamination in the machinery that processes them, from wheat products that may be processed in the same machinery.  Oats haven't bothered me so far, so i see no reason to panic and cease and desist now, lol.  I asked you about it strictly because I'm nosey, lol!!!

Today is the day that the Lord hath made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it.

---Psalm 118:24
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2013 - 11:49AM #52
Nay_ho_tze

The interesting thing about oats
is not so much that they're processed with wheat - etc...
but that they have a component similar to gluten
to which some folks are also sensitive ...

so either you are or you're not sensitive to oats -
and i'd say that you're not ...
me neither, thank the gods ...
i live on oatmeal, preferably cold - lol
i smoosh it into a shallow bowl so it covers the bottom -
then i slice a banana over that
and whatever fruit is around -
then i cover all that with yogurt
and eat it like a cake - grosses my kids out - lol

what's the texture of your oat bread like?
does it rise at all? (most WF breads don't...)
it sounds like something i might be interested in ...
always looking for decent WF bread recipes ...

Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
writer, designer, intuitive healer
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2013 - 2:08PM #53
JoyceB53

Cold oatmeal?  Uh, no, thank you, lol.  But you go ahead and enjoy it, with my blessings...snicker.

First of all, tho, I checked my frozen veggies and they are ok.  I have five different kinds in the freezer, and four of them only had one ingredient, the veggie itself.  The sixth one, brussels sprouts, had several other ingredients but none of them was wheat of any kind.  So, I'm good to go.

The oat bread doesn't really rise, even tho I use baking powder, but it does come out of the oven a small bit higher than it went in, but not much, believe me.  The texture is coarse, heavy, and quite moist, because I've never managed to get it done all the way thru.  When it cools, tho, it dries out.  The top of it is always crunchy, which I like.  The fact that it doesn't get done all the way thry doesn't bother me at all, as there are no eggs in it...it's actually vegan, altho I didn't do that on purpose.  And the other reason that it doesn't bother me is that hey, it's oatmeal, for cryin' out loud, and oatmeal is eaten while it's wet, lol.  Anyway, I love the stuff, and as soon as i finish here on b'net I'm gonna go bake a pan, and then go to bed...and after I post my recipe for this bread on the cooking thread.

That's an interesting fact about oatmeal, and I had no idea that it could act like gluten.  I'm really delighted that it doesn't bother me, as I love oatmeal.  My favorite is the instant Maple and Brown Sugar.  OMG!   That stuff is soooooo good, lol.

Today is the day that the Lord hath made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it.

---Psalm 118:24
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2013 - 11:34PM #54
I_miss_asher
As I said I would, I read the first posts on here. Unfortunately, I was correct about it not being something I could use.  Many of the foods rich in B are also rich in Vitamin K, which is the #1 vitamin I'm supposed to limit intake of because it would create an increased likelihood that my blood would clot more than it already has.  I've had vitamin levels checked and the only deficiency found was Vitamin D.  Now I take a Vitamin D + Calcium supplement (per doctor's instructions) and my levels are okay.  For people without my blood disorders, your advice is excellent.  I used to take a Women's Multivitamin and eat many of the foods you mentioned and it made me feel much better, but I really have to stick closely to my prescribed medicines and avoid Vitamin-K rich foods.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2013 - 10:03AM #55
Nay_ho_tze

imissasher: vitamin K overdose is exceedingly rare unless megadosing is involved,
since you are on blood thinners i can see how
your doctor was under obligation to tell you to be "aware" of this interaction

i'm sure it wasn't your doctor's intention to so severely limit your nutritional intake
as to suggest avoidance of B complex
since it is an essential component in proper human nutrition ...

and if that were his intention, then i'd get a new doctor ...

i wish you well

------------------------------------

later: thrombosis (blood clotting) responds well to vitamin E with vitamin C
additionally B12 deficiency damages both the blood and the nerves 
because B12 is involved in the blood-forming process...
and bioflavonoids, part of the C-complex, would be most helpful as well ...

nutrition is not a subject most MDs are required to study...
this is a fact that i, IME as an alternative healer, have come up against time and time again ...

When the father of modern medicine, Hippocrates said, "Let thy food be thy medicine" -
he was referring to how nutrition lays the foundation, then supports, good health ...
practicing physicians who do not understand the relationship between nutrition and health
are often limited to only treating symptoms ... IME

-----

please note: the tone of this post is driven by a passion,
fed from decades of witnessing nutritional ignorance in the medical community ...
really, i just want the best for all who come to this forum ....
sometimes my Fire (Aries) gets the best of my intentions, i admit ...
so sincerest apologies if i've offended at all - none is intended

NHT

Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2013 - 3:55PM #56
I_miss_asher

Sorry, but I guess I wasn't very clear on my previous post: My doctor isn't trying to deprive me of the vitamins that I can have.  She tests my levels to make sure I'm not lacking things or too high-level on anything.  If I were deficient or too high-level in something, she'd find some way to correct it.  I know that I am one of the uncommon reaction types though so I really do need to be more careful than average as far as foods and supplements that I have to avoid.  I have a very high tolerance to many medications and my blood level gets out of whack very easily.  I get frequent blood tests and the doctor is very careful about monitoring my clotting factor.  (I actually just switched doctors recently because the previous doctor was not being as thorough as he should have been.) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2013 - 4:48PM #57
Nay_ho_tze

i'm glad you have a doctor that you like.

the problem is not with your doctor -

the problem lies with the standards of nutritional values
as put forth by mainstream medicine in the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) -
the levels are far too low -

nutrition is not a one size fits all - needs vary greatly from individual to individual ... 
IME that the RDA is accepted as definitive
seriously contributes to the malnourishment of an overweight society ...

take vitamin C -
(btw, vitamin c and b complex are both water soluble so excess is harmlessly excreted)
the beauty of these vitamins is that by simply monitoring body responses,
we can know when the body has reached optimum intake -
sometimes the RDA is right on with its suggestion of 60 mg daily intake of c -,

However, i have had clients fight colds by taking 2000mg every hour -
that's 24,000mg in one day ... quite a disparity from a pitiful 60mg -
and no, they never overdosed -
truth is their body responses registered as never having received enough -
they did get over their colds faster though ...  ;)

please understand -
as an old healer who has worked decades with nutrition,
to hear that your levels are ok does not put my mind at ease...

but be that as it may -
we are simply on different paths, you and i,
and i wish you well on yours...

peace

Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2013 - 4:30PM #58
I_miss_asher
I can have vitamins or foods and drinks containing them, as long as I'm careful not to take in too much K. The only supplement I take is D. I do eat yogurt, drink certain kinds of Vitamin water, and eat fruit. I prefer whole wheat and whole grain breads and brown rice, which I know tend to be healthier than their over processed counterparts. I even eat some Vitamin K-rich foods; I just have to limit their intake. My doctor has even told me at times when my blood is too thinned out to eat extra greens that day to help regulate it. I just can't do it everyday or it'll go to the other extreme and thicken too much pretty rapidly. I actually hate that I'm stuck with limited intake of some foods. I love tofu, broccoli, green beans, salads & brussel sprouts, and I really miss being able to eat all I'd like to of them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2013 - 11:35AM #59
Nay_ho_tze

Click here for up-to-date info on wheat/gluten intolerance and/or sensitivity
as well as its common misdiagnoses as other diseases ...
so many are on unnecessary drugs
when the answer to their woes is a wheat free diet - 

the mood i'm in today this makes me want to puke ...

we fight the wrong drug war

Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook