Switch to Forum Live View Best translation of Koran
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 5:13PM #1
Adam_Light
What is the best english translation of the Koran?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2012 - 1:01PM #2
Adam_Light

Hope to get many opinions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2012 - 9:59PM #3
Ibn

There is no "best" translation of the Qur'an. The most used is Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation but I prefer to use several including Pickthall, Shakir, Khan & Hillali and Asad. Asad is not translation like other translations but it tries to reach the nearest meanings by including a commentary with it.

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2012 - 5:07PM #4
Adam_Light

Shocking, you have referred to Hilali's translation (the one that is endorsed by Wahhabis, i.e. Saudi Gov't)

When Jesus returns, according to Hilali's translation, “Non-Muslims would not be allowed to keep their own religions “but all people will be required to embrace Islam and there will be no other alternative” [footnote 1b, to Ch 3 Verse 55], i.e. forced conversions.

I will compare to the others that have been mentioned.

Surely, there must be a tolerant translation/commentary of the Koran.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2012 - 7:04AM #5
Ibn

Adam_Light,

What you have quoted from Hilali translation is not the translation of the Qur'an but commentary. It is just understanding of someone writing the translation rather than actual translation of the words in the Qur'an. If you are interested in commentary as well as the translation or a kind of combination then you would find Asad translation the best. A Link to his translation is given on Sacred Texts (Qur'an) board in my topic Message of the Qur'an.

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 3:18PM #6
Adam_Light

Instead of beating around the bush, you could have said that in the first place and been straightforward, that you consider Asad's the best.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2012 - 6:13PM #7
Ibn

I did not say that I find it the best but that you would find it the best (if you are interested in the commentary).

(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook