Switch to Forum Live View Seeker With A Few Questions
3 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2012 - 12:00PM #1
Kmullin211984
Hi Everyone!

My name is Kyle, and I've been looking into the Baha'i Faith for a little bit now. I finally got brave and asked for someone to contact me/email me/mail me some information about the Faith. I am currently LDS but am looking for something to take the place of that. I originally came across the Faith when I was told by a friend at work that she was Baha'i. I've always been interested in different religions, ever since I was a kid. I've always been naturally curious about what others believe and find that I am constantly seeking out answers, looking up what others believe/teach, asking questions etc. I like a lot about the Baha'i Faith. Two things that stick out to me are non-violence and the way they treat women. I like the idea of everyone being equal. Anyways, how do the Baha'i feel about tatoos and piercings? Also, I'm gay, so I'd like to know their stance on this. I am totally comfortable with it, and don't really like to be told I'm going to burn/go to hell for something I don't feel like I chose in the first place. The Baha'i Faith is the first faith that's really resonated with me. From the moment I started reading some books on it, I became enraptured and couldn't stop reading. I finally feel like I have found something that will work for me. I've tried other things like Kabbalah, Catholicism, obviously Mormonism, and I was raised an Evangelilcal Christian. Also, how did you guys come to believe Baha'lullah? How long did it take you to realize that he was who he claimed to be? Was it a gradual thing over time, or did it happen all at once? That's one of the things I sort of struggle with is the whole, "this person speaks on behalf of God" thing, even though that's what the LDS Church believes. I have always found it hard to believe someone who makes miraculous claims. Also, are there any books you recommend reading as someone new to the Baha'i Faith? Thanks so much for your help and for answering my questions!

Kyle
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 3:22PM #2
Lilwabbit

Jan 27, 2012 -- 12:00PM, Kmullin211984 wrote:

Hi Everyone!

My name is Kyle, and I've been looking into the Baha'i Faith for a little bit now. I finally got brave and asked for someone to contact me/email me/mail me some information about the Faith. I am currently LDS but am looking for something to take the place of that. I originally came across the Faith when I was told by a friend at work that she was Baha'i. I've always been interested in different religions, ever since I was a kid. I've always been naturally curious about what others believe and find that I am constantly seeking out answers, looking up what others believe/teach, asking questions etc. I like a lot about the Baha'i Faith. Two things that stick out to me are non-violence and the way they treat women. I like the idea of everyone being equal. Anyways, how do the Baha'i feel about tatoos and piercings? Also, I'm gay, so I'd like to know their stance on this. I am totally comfortable with it, and don't really like to be told I'm going to burn/go to hell for something I don't feel like I chose in the first place. The Baha'i Faith is the first faith that's really resonated with me. From the moment I started reading some books on it, I became enraptured and couldn't stop reading. I finally feel like I have found something that will work for me. I've tried other things like Kabbalah, Catholicism, obviously Mormonism, and I was raised an Evangelilcal Christian. Also, how did you guys come to believe Baha'lullah? How long did it take you to realize that he was who he claimed to be? Was it a gradual thing over time, or did it happen all at once? That's one of the things I sort of struggle with is the whole, "this person speaks on behalf of God" thing, even though that's what the LDS Church believes. I have always found it hard to believe someone who makes miraculous claims. Also, are there any books you recommend reading as someone new to the Baha'i Faith? Thanks so much for your help and for answering my questions!

Kyle

Dearest Kyle,

Welcome to Beliefnet! What a rich religious journey you've been treading!

Here at the Visitor Center of the Bahá'í boards on Bnet you will find some personal "testimonies" relating how various resident Bahá'ís here came to embrace the Faith. Ultimately it seems that the verses revealed by Bahá'u'lláh and his Message have resonated with most of its sincere students sufficiently deeply and powerfully to convince that he is nothing less than a true Messenger of God for our age. That he is not just another charlatan, a mere wise oracle or a creative prophetic lunatic around which also some new religions have been formed. Here is a little compilation of Bahá'u'lláh's main teachings in his own words, to give you an idea of the kinds of verses which Bahá'ís regard genuinely divinely inspired. For a brief historical outline of the birth of the Bahá'í Faith, feel free to start for instance here.

Ultimately, of course, the Bahá'í Faith is a revealed religion which rests on the notion that, despite our ability to understand ourselves as well as the world around us with increasing depth and sharpness, we are so intricate beings that only God truly knows at any given time what truly profits and harms man. Hence a willing (rather than blind) submission to the commandments of God revealed by Bahá'u'lláh is considered, in this day and age, key to human well-being and the evolution of mankind. Hence it may come to you as a slight disappointment that Bahá'u'lláh, too, restricted sexual intercourse within the context of a dual-gender marriage. This applies to heteros and homosexuals equally. A heterosexual person that is unable or unwilling to find a spouse is therefore in a similar position with gays in that they all must commit to a lifestyle of celibacy. This is obviously a rather challenging requirement in the present morally lax cultural context which prevails in the Western World.

The Bahá'ís, overall, are a very lenient and kind people. We definitely do not have any religious police or "Taliban" who would scrutinize people's private lives and clobber them with clubs upon discovering the slightest breach of the commandments. Even less do we believe in a God who sends people to burn in hell (we simply don't believe in a literal hell). Most gays I know, whether Bahá'í or not, are in many ways more exemplary people than the heteros. Bahá'u'lláh says that we should be ever-forgiving and that we can never exalt ourselves and deem others "sinners", since "none knoweth what his own end shall be." Overall, it may perhaps not be a great idea to jump too quickly into the Bahá'í Faith before one is willing to make a serious lifestyle commitment to Bahá'u'lláh's teachings, including those regarding chastity and marriage. However, piercings and tattoos have not been forbidden.

We fully respect if you are not currently willing to forego your perhaps more liberal stance on sexuality. You may perhaps prefer some other religious groups which share your stance on sexual morality. There are quite a few, such as the Soka Gakkai International (a modern brand of Nichiren Buddhism), Universalist Unitarianism or some more liberal brands of Quakerism. Yet, you are always welcome to consider the Bahá'í Faith as well. And even if you never end up a Bahá'í, you may wish to order Bahá'u'lláh's Hidden Words from the Amazon. It is a great collection of inspirational words and spiritual wisdom for anyone, whether Bahá'í or not.

With kind regards and wishing you good luck with your spiritual search!

LilWabbit

"All things have I willed for you, and you too, for your own sake."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 4:58PM #3
Kmullin211984

LilWabbit,

Thanks so much for responding. I am indeed going to take my time exploring this faith. I have been praying and will continue to do so about this particular faith and will not proceed (except with caution) until I have received an answer that this is the right faith for me. The teachings do resonate deeply with me, which is why I still want to consider it. Thanks for answering my questions and if I have any more I will post here again. Again, I'm going to continue my spiritual journey and look more into this faith, as I said it resonates with me. Blessings and light!

Kyle

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2012 - 2:38PM #4
in_my_opinion

Jan 28, 2012 -- 4:58PM, Kmullin211984 wrote:

LilWabbit,

Thanks so much for responding. I am indeed going to take my time exploring this faith. I have been praying and will continue to do so about this particular faith and will not proceed (except with caution) until I have received an answer that this is the right faith for me. The teachings do resonate deeply with me, which is why I still want to consider it. Thanks for answering my questions and if I have any more I will post here again. Again, I'm going to continue my spiritual journey and look more into this faith, as I said it resonates with me. Blessings and light!

Kyle

Dear Kyle,

Give us an update. How is everything going with you and your explorations?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook