Switch to Forum Live View Questions about returning to Catholicism...
3 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2011 - 1:49PM #1
Frailtenacity
A brief background: I was raised Catholic (quite strict), but left the Church when I was 16. Since then, I've dabbled in Evangelical Christianity and Buddhism (not at the same time, of course). Prior to a life-altering experience this past Sunday, I was a devout atheist/agnostic for about 10 years. Naturally, my inclination is to return to the Catholicism I'm familiar with, but I don't know that we're compatible anymore. For example, I (and I apologize if this comes across as rude, but it's good to be direct) have no respect or interest in the Church hierarchy (the Pope, Bishops, etc.), so I couldn't heed any of their directives in good conscience. I'm vehemently pro-choice. I don't accept the idea that Catholicism is the only way to G/god. These are things I cannot and will not change, so am I barred from rejoining the Catholic Church? Or is there room for someone like me within its walls? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2011 - 6:55AM #2
Mysty101

Dear friend,

Hi, and welcome to this forum.

You are baptized Catholic, and that will never change whether or not you follow the teachigs of the church.  You are always welcome to attend Mass.  If you respect the teachings of the church and have not attended Mass for years or are aware of any serious sin, you would need sacramental confession before you could receive Holy Communion.

Jesus is the head of the church, and we are the body.  He also said to the Apostles, "He who hears you, hears Me.", and "Whatever you bind on earth is bound in Heaven."  He promised to be with us, through His Church. 

These are very general statements.  You would really need to speak to a priest, to see if your views could somehow be reconciled with Catholic teaching.  Also you could investigate the high Protesrtand religions (Episcopalian, Luthern, etc) They have a Mass, and most sacraments, but do not believe in the authority of the pope.  I am not familiar with their teachings on abortion.

God bless you in your journey.  Please share more, if you wish.  We will pray for guidance for you.

Love & Prayers,

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 11:07AM #3
Thankful_catholic

My advice would be to dig deep and learn about the church, especially areas that are 'problems' with you. Call the parish you would attend and set up a meeting with your priest. While converting I had many 'stumbling blocks'. I would research and talk to knowledgeable people to overcome them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 8:08PM #4
belleo

Aug 9, 2011 -- 1:49PM, Frailtenacity wrote:

A brief background: I was raised Catholic (quite strict), but left the Church when I was 16. Since then, I've dabbled in Evangelical Christianity and Buddhism (not at the same time, of course). Prior to a life-altering experience this past Sunday, I was a devout atheist/agnostic for about 10 years. Naturally, my inclination is to return to the Catholicism I'm familiar with, but I don't know that we're compatible anymore. For example, I (and I apologize if this comes across as rude, but it's good to be direct) have no respect or interest in the Church hierarchy (the Pope, Bishops, etc.), so I couldn't heed any of their directives in good conscience. I'm vehemently pro-choice. I don't accept the idea that Catholicism is the only way to G/god. These are things I cannot and will not change, so am I barred from rejoining the Catholic Church? Or is there room for someone like me within its walls? Thanks in advance for any responses.

To be Catholic means that you believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church . There are some bishops here in Canada that excommunicate those who say they are pro choice . Out of ignorance I did think at one time it was okay to abort in early stages of pregnancy . That is false for me . The Catholic Church does not teach that that they are the only way to God .

There is no such thing as Mass in the Lutheran Church  or any Protestant Church . Catholics believe in the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist . Protestants do not .

You can get real good information from CCC  that is Catechism of the Catholic Church on line
 Marie

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook