Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Free online magazine thru 2011
4 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2010 - 6:09PM #1
Apologist

New Online Magazine (do not put www. in front of the address, it will give you an error message):

I know that you can post free stuff here, so . . .

It is free for 2011   magazine.bible-translation.net/

Please give me feedback at edandrews@bible-translation.net

Owner

Sincerely,

Edward Andrews
President and CEO
Bible Translation Magazine
edandrews@bible-translation.net
Yahoo IM: tyndal_e@rocketmail.com
740-630-9318
614-360-1550
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2010 - 12:31AM #2
Newtonian

Apologist - I note you do not mention I have been removed from the group you are inviting others to join.

Have you considered this weeks Watchtower study concerning showing honor to fellow believers?

How about reconsidering the authenticity of Luke 22:43,44?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2010 - 12:40AM #3
Newtonian

I note to subscribe you need to enter a coupon code - what coupon code?????

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2010 - 12:50AM #4
Newtonian

OK, I subscribed and will post comments here and there, now and then.Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2010 - 1:50AM #5
Newtonian

new magazine on the JW welcome center and community center - in it is a podcast:

magazine.bible-translation.net/issue/jan...

No mention of Jehovah or NW translation.  Prayer at end does not use the name Jehovah either.  The very end has a plug for the Dallas theological seminary.  The gist of the podcast that you can play on your computer is that translation must involve interpretation, that one should not always translate any Hebrew or Greek word as a specific English word, etc.  So out goes soul for nephesh and psyche - though that is not mentioned.   Nor is Jehovah for the tetragrammaton mentioned.  Informative, yes.  Worldly, yes - I think so anyway.

There were some valid points - if you go to a lexicon and find multiple definitions for a word, the translator must decide which definition to use.   But overall Biblical context is not mentioned as a determining factor.  For a worldly podcast, it was very good.  But not what you would expect from a brother.

I think for a worldly podcast it was good - considering the plug for the Dallas Theological seminary - better than what I would expect from a seminary.  Of course, for Jehovah's Witnesses, the fact that the Divine Name was not mentioned is glaring.  Also the fact that translating a Hebrew or Greek word by one English word being not good is, in effect, going against NW (which translation was not mentioned) in translating the Hebrew nephesh and Greek psyche always as soul.  Sure, one could translate nephesh or psyche as life in some verses - but then how would the reader know nephesh was used rather than chai (life) or that psyche was used rather than zoe (life)?

A literal translation need not be wooden, but it should convey accurately what was said by the writer - not what was said according to the interpretation of the translator.  By comparing all verses on any given subject, one can let the Bible interpret itself and a translator who does this will avoid the appearance of the Bible contradicting itself, as, for example, when translators render xylon as tree and stauros as cross - as if Jesus died on two different death instruments.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook