Switch to Forum Live View How could you justify sacrificing your child's life for a doctrine? (blood transfusion doctrine)
4 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 8:46PM #1
Holly3278

Hey everyone.  How on earth could a person possibly choose to sacrifice their own or their child's life for the sake of a doctrine? I mean, if your child was in a horrific accident and the only way to save their life was through a blood transfusion and there were no alternatives available, would you really follow your church and sacrifice your child's life?  I am sorry but this is something I just don't understand.  How could doing so possibly be justified?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2010 - 2:55PM #2
Imperfectense

Aug 5, 2010 -- 8:46PM, Holly3278 wrote:

Hey everyone.  How on earth could a person possibly choose to sacrifice their own or their child's life for the sake of a doctrine? I mean, if your child was in a horrific accident and the only way to save their life was through a blood transfusion and there were no alternatives available, would you really follow your church and sacrifice your child's life?  I am sorry but this is something I just don't understand.  How could doing so possibly be justified?

Well this is news for me, but it seems that JWs in Bulgaria will never ever have to make that decision....you see they according to legal, government documents will not have sanctions such as disfellowshipping imposed upon them, they are free to choose!  AMAZING STORY!

www.myiphonestuff.info/qwotes/blood-in-b...

WTS Bible Dictionary Insight-2 p. 1132 Truth
"Being “the spirit of the truth,” God’s holy spirit could never be the source of error but would protect Christ’s followers from doctrinal falsehoods. (Compare 1Jo 2:27; 4:1-6.)...)

Watchtower 1987 11/1 p. 29 Religion’s Tidal Wave—The Final Reckoning
Examine the religious institution to which you belong. Does what it stands for agree with the Bible in every way? If not, then your organization is part of “Babylon the Great,” or the world empire of false religion. Follow the command found at Revelation 18:4, which is: “Get out of her, my people, . . . if you do not want to receive part of her plagues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2010 - 5:35PM #3
Phronesis

I agree with you. I would not sacrifice my child's life (or my own) for a doctrine, a church, or a religion. BUT I will do so in obedience to Jehovah God, because I know he can and will resurrect the faithful who do die for their faith. This similar to what Abraham went through, as described in Genesis chapter 22.

I really appreciate how this was described for us in Hebrews 11:17—19, which reads:

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac, and the man that had gladly received the promises attempted to offer up his only-begotten son, although it had been said to him: ‘What will be called “your seed” will be through Isaac.’ But he reckoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead; and from there he did receive him also in an illustrative way. 

"Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen ... ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, that I am God." - Isaiah 43:10, 12, ASV.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2010 - 2:28AM #4
Ed2

Aug 6, 2010 -- 2:55PM, Imperfectense wrote:

Well this is news for me, but it seems that JWs in Bulgaria will never ever have to make that decision....you see they according to legal, government documents will not have sanctions such as disfellowshipping imposed upon them, they are free to choose!  AMAZING STORY!

If this is true, could JWs please explain why JWs in Bulgaria are not sanctioned the same way as other JWs are when it comes to the blood policy? Or should I start a seperate thread concerning this?

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

~Dr. Patrick Dowling, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 11/23/11.)

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2010 - 6:40AM #5
Imperfectense

Aug 15, 2010 -- 2:28AM, Ed2 wrote:

If this is true, could JWs please explain why JWs in Bulgaria are not sanctioned the same way as other JWs are when it comes to the blood policy? Or should I start a seperate thread concerning this?

A thread in debate might be interesting.  Also I would really like to know how that works in Bulgaria...some feel that Bulgarian JWs really are sanctioned the same as other JWs, but that WTS  played their ' spiritual warfare stratagy' aka 'applied' falsehood, lying by omission to the Bulgarian authorities to gain approved status. ?????  Would Jehovah endorse such 'strategy'?

"Being “the spirit of the truth,” God’s holy spirit could never be the source of error but would protect Christ’s followers from doctrinal falsehoods. (Compare 1Jo 2:27; 4:1-6.)...)

Examine the religious institution to which you belong. Does what it stands for agree with the Bible in every way? If not, then your organization is part of “Babylon the Great,” or the world empire of false religion. Follow the command found at Revelation 18:4, which is: “Get out of her, my people, . . . if you do not want to receive part of her plagues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2010 - 7:19AM #6
Ed2

Aug 16, 2010 -- 6:40AM, Imperfectense wrote:

A thread in debate might be interesting.  Also I would really like to know how that works in Bulgaria...some feel that Bulgarian JWs really are sanctioned the same as other JWs, but that WTS  played their ' spiritual warfare stratagy' aka 'applied' falsehood, lying by omission to the Bulgarian authorities to gain approved status. ?????  Would Jehovah endorse such 'strategy'?

Well, one way or another, I would like to understand the situation better....either by JWs explaining it in this forum or it being discussed in the debate forum.

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

~Dr. Patrick Dowling, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 11/23/11.)

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2010 - 5:25PM #7
Imperfectense

www.myiphonestuff.info/qwotes/blood-in-b...

Holly this news report might make you feel better about this situation...I hope.Smile

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38684354/ns/health-...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2010 - 2:17PM #8
Newtonian

Aug 27, 2010 -- 2:07PM, Newtonian wrote:

Ed - Jehovah's Witnesses have the same beliefs everywhere. 

Here are a few links from our official website on the question in OP:

www.watchtower.org/e/20000108/article_02...
www.watchtower.org/e/20000108/article_03...
An excerpt:
Doctors have perfected many bloodless surgery techniques on Jehovah's Witnesses. Consider the experience of cardiovascular surgeon Denton Cooley. Over a period of 27 years, his team performed bloodless open-heart surgery on 663 of Jehovah's Witnesses. The results clearly demonstrate that cardiac operations can be successfully performed without the use of blood.

See the many other links using our search engine under the search phrase: blood transfusions (including videos).

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2010 - 2:29PM #9
Newtonian

Ed - You may find this concering Bulgaria of interest - and it is accurate:

"Blood Seminar in Bulgaria
A seminar emphasizing the conservation of blood during surgery and the use of alternatives to blood transfusions was held earlier this year in Sofia, Bulgaria. The seminar gave doctors from all over Bulgaria the opportunity to confer with a panel of experts on blood from eight countries. Professor Ivan Mladenov of Sofia commented that under the previous regime, ‘little or nothing was known about blood contamination and blood-borne viruses’ and that ‘questions on the part of patients were viewed as bad behavior that could lead to denial of medical care.’ The response of those attending the seminar reflects an increased awareness in Bulgaria of a patient’s right to self-determination and informed consent, as endorsed by the European Court of Human Rights." - "Awake!," 11/22/98, p. 29.

See the 2/22/89 Awake! article entitled "Blood - Whose Choice and whose conscience?," which is a reprint of the New York State Journal of Medicine, 1988; 88:463-464, copyright by the Medical Society of the State of New York.

And, again, see the many links, including videos, on our website:

www.watchtower.org

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook