4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 4:29PM #1
Stargazer_jilly

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Christianity, but not new to God persay.

I studied, and even practiced a few different beliefs and religions throughout the years, however my belief in God and Jesus never faltered, even if that belief contradicted the other beliefs I was studying.  I always come back to God.

In the meantime I've had a baby, and a whole lotta turmoil in my life since that, so between that and the enormous amount of negative news about teens, pre-teens and children getting into trouble with tons of different things, I just get a very strong feeling that now is the time I really devote myself to Christianity.

Here is my question...how do I know which sect of Christianity to follow?  Which church would be the right church for me and my daughter to start going to?

Any help, advice or even someone pointing me in the right direction of research would be greatly appreciated!

I can tell you right now that Catholocism is definitely not for me...and neither is evangelism.  Those I have experience with, and enough knowledge to know I am not a great fit for those.

Thank you in advance,

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 6:34PM #2
Bezant

Hullo Star

I pray everything goes well with you, your baby, and your spiritual journey.

About your question--I hope my advice helps.

This question, which I've asked myself, is better asked of yourself than outsiders (including myself) -- it concerns you, and better answered by no one but yourself, especially given you've experimented with other religions. When you decide, you must have a bigger answer than, "Am I a good fit for those?" but rather, "Do I believe this particular belief to be universally true -- this more than a sect, that this faith is exactly what Christ intended?" What faith were you born in and what faiths did you try? Just curious.

It might sound like I'm contradicting myself, just a heads up. The idea of Christian "sects," as you know, is inconsistent with the spirit of Christianity: we're supposed to be One Body. In the real world there are hundreds of Christian communities. But for all our theological disagreements, must as One as possible in our respect for each other, as Christians and as sinners.

Before joining a community you'll need to reseach some key things about it -- the theology, it's origins, and its future goals. Get opposing arguments to every community's theology so you've a range of answers, and explore outside the frameworks you encounter (e.g., outside Bible-only rules or New-Testament only rules). Once you recognise that theology to be doubtlessly true -- as you've found Christianity to be doubtlessly true -- and reconciled it to your conscience, then join.

I don't know what or how much experience with Catholicism, had but I recommend you question it further. I say this partly because, and I don't know you (guess what community I belong to...surprise :P) but I didn't buy Catholicism for years, I know some "cradle" Catholics grow disenchanted with their faith for common reasons, as well as people who were interested are rubbed the wrong way or pushed aside, like my mother. On our first visit to a Catholic church she went on line for the Eucharist and the deacon waved his hand. "You're not Catholic. Move it." Now he was not supposed to give my mother Communion because at the time she was neither Catholic nor Eastern Orthodox, but he was rude. If you don't agree with Catholicism that's fine, but I hope it's not because of idiots like our ex-deacon.

Again, best wishes.

Bezant

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2010 - 8:47PM #3
Goyboy

Jun 16, 2010 -- 4:29PM, Stargazer_jilly wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Christianity, but not new to God persay.

I studied, and even practiced a few different beliefs and religions throughout the years, however my belief in God and Jesus never faltered, even if that belief contradicted the other beliefs I was studying.  I always come back to God.

In the meantime I've had a baby, and a whole lotta turmoil in my life since that, so between that and the enormous amount of negative news about teens, pre-teens and children getting into trouble with tons of different things, I just get a very strong feeling that now is the time I really devote myself to Christianity.

Here is my question...how do I know which sect of Christianity to follow?  Which church would be the right church for me and my daughter to start going to?

Any help, advice or even someone pointing me in the right direction of research would be greatly appreciated!

I can tell you right now that Catholocism is definitely not for me...and neither is evangelism.  Those I have experience with, and enough knowledge to know I am not a great fit for those.

Thank you in advance,

Greetings, Stargazer.  I regret to say that there is no easy answer to your question.  Every type of church believes that it is right and that others are somehow flawed.

Starting out, I would recommend that you visit one of the more traditional churches that originated in Europe.  Were it me looking for a church, I would begin with either a Methodist church or a Presbyterian church.  Such churches tend to maintain a calm atmosphere during services.  People who are calm are less likely to be led astray than people who are experiencing an emotional high.  Sadly, people experiencing an emotional high are easily misled.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2013 - 9:53PM #4
Unworthyone

What you are really seeking is a personal relationship with God.  You need to find a denomination or a congregation that serves that need.  If you attend and participate and you do not feel spiritually fed, you need to find another church.

Christianity is not about rules, rituals, and regulations. While all those are part, they are only helpful if they enhance the underlying relationships with your God and your fellow man.  Find a church that makes you feel closer to God and other people.  It should be a place that helps you exercise your spiritual gifts and talents for the benefit of others. 

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook