Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
4 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2010 - 6:34PM #1
Velizabeth

Hello everyone,

I'm sure this is very lazy of me, but I'd like to hear what the answers are anyways. I have purchased a quran, and have started reading, and have also purchased Complete Idiots Guide to Understanding Islam (such a crazy name, but I've been skimming it a bit). These questions plague me for any religion that I learn about.

My questions are:

1) I understand that it is against Muslim beliefs to be Homosexual (is this correct?). What is the official stance on treatment of homosexuals?

2) Abortion. I read in the Complete Idiots Guide that it was one hundred percent illegal in Islam, no exceptions. I've read on websites that there's a limit on the first... I can't remember.. 90 days? Maybe it was 120 days? With the conflict I've read, is there an official stance on this and if so, what?

Edit: Question 2a) Another thing on this, my concern is mostly for things like rape or incest. What is the rule or official opinon on, say, the pill that after a rape? The concern I have here is not that it is used like a birth control, but for issues that are beyond the woman's control, like violence against her.

3) I hate to ask this last one, but please bear with me, I'm not trying to question the beliefs, but understand. If someone becomes Muslim because they feel it is right and farther down the road (years, maybe?) decides they made a mistake and leaves the religion, is there a punishment for them? Is this a cultural thing or in the beliefs of the religion if there is a punishment? I suppose that's a couple of questions, but I hope I'm explaining my concern right. I'm not saying that it would be me, but I know that when I was 10 years old I had no questions about my beliefs, but years later as an adult, I couldn't accept the religion anymore.

These are big questions, and important ones for me. I'm a straight woman married to a wonderful man, no desire to ever get an abortion, but I have to know about these topics. I'm going to keep reading, but I enjoy hearing the answers from those who want to share their knowledge here.

Thank you for your time,

Valerie

PS. To throw in my feelings on these, my concern isn't so much about myself, but more about my feelings in forcing certain viewpoints on others... It happens so much in the US, where certain beliefs impose their own values upon laws. That kinda bothers me. I believe if a person is part of a religion, then they choose those viewpoints, but for example a Muslim should not be forced to follow the beliefs of a Catholic... etc. Sorry, rambling, a bit off topic. Thank you again :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 2:08PM #2
sabaa

Dear Sis  salam ,

Islam has answers to all the questions you have in mind .To get an appropriate answer by a scholar I would recommend some web sites where u can ask the questions to a mufti(scholar) who can give answer in the light of quran and sunnah.

www.islamway.com,www.islamonline.com,   web.youngmuslims.ca/online ,   

www.beautifulislam.net

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2010 - 1:45AM #3
Velizabeth

Before I forget, I wanted to say thank you to both of you for taking time to respond. I really do appreciate it. I'm going to do some more reading, visit the links and study the answers you gave more carefully. I don't know whether I'd ever convert or not, but if I do not, then at the very least, I want to understand Islam rather than just take what I'm given in the media.

Thank you very much, have a wonderful day :)
Valerie

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 3:08PM #4
sagha

Dear Valerie,

1) Homosexual acts are prohibited in Islam, based on the Quran condemning the acts of the people of Lot.

2) Like you noticed, there is some difference of opinion. There is no "official" position because in Islam there is no priesthood or hierarchy of scholars. Some scholars have better reputations than others, but ultimately you follow the one your conscience is most comfortable with.

Regarding rape, I know Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, for instance, allows abortion of a pregnancy resulting from a rape.

3) There is a saying by the Prophet that says something to the effect of, whoever leaves the religion of Islam must be killed. However, the Quran is clear that there is no compulsion in matters of faith, and some scholars have reconciled these two sources by saying that the Prophet did not mean someone who merely stopped believing in Islam. He meant someone who leaves Islam and declares war on it and takes up arms against it. If you're interested in more details, you can read "Punishment in Islamic Law" by Muhammad El-Awa. I tried to find some online sources for you but my Internet isn't behaving.

There are some countries which have harsh laws against apostasy. They are also countries which in general do not have a strong concept of individual freedom, and that certainly colors their reading of the sources. My own feeling is that God would certainly have told us to kill apostates in the Quran if that's what He wanted. (All the other major crimes are mentioned in the Quran.) Yet the Quran tells us there is "no compulsion in religion" and the only type of punishment mentioned for those who flip-flop in their faith is left until the life to come.

Hope that helps!

Serene

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 4:13PM #5
Velizabeth

It does, Serene, thank you :)

The questions I asked, I know they're odd, but they don't directly affect me... Like I said, I'm female, married to a wonderful man, and although the topic of homosexuality doesn't directly affect me, a very close family member is gay. If this person accepted Islam (or pretty much any of the types of Christianity, etc), he would have to follow the rules, because of his choice. Only applying the topic to myself, not an issue. But regardless how I live my life, I have a really hard time saying that others can't use their free will to live their lives a certain way (like I see so often in the media, people using their religion and forcing it on everyone else).

With abortion, I don't think it would ever be something that should be taken lightly, but at the same time banning it is taking away a solution to a problem (rape, incest, etc). I'm definitely not saying it is something I want, but I couldn't say how I'd feel if I were attacked... I'm just speaking purely from the viewpoint of someone living in the United States though, I obviously can't speak for other people or other countries...

I'm not looking for approval of Islam on these subjects, I just wanted some answers Smile While I have no problems with the answers, I don't want to feel like I need to force those around me to believe the same... (Trying to figure out how to say what I mean)

Sorry about rambling. As I told someone else, I have been searching for where I belong. My husband doesn't have any religious beliefs and it doesn't even interest him to look... I looked into Catholicism for a while, and the services they hold and the prayer interests me a lot, but there are things I can't accept (pope being infallable, having difficulty with the divinity of Jesus, although I like him hehe).

I have been reading some books on Islam and it really interests me a lot, because I find myself nodding to what I'm reading, but I still have some reservations. I decided if I read the entire quran (in english), I'll see where I stand there... Anyways, I'm rambling. (I tend to ramble a lot hehe).

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 7:07AM #6
Abdullah.

Valerie, I made a thread on Islamic justice on the 'Islam' board and it answers the apostasy question a bit indepth; here is a link of it; hope that helps Smile:

community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/5...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 10:23AM #7
Abdullah.

Feb 3, 2010 -- 6:34PM, Velizabeth wrote:

What is the official stance on treatment of homosexuals?

here is a beutifull article on such a question Sis; hope this helps:

qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=...

2) Abortion. I read in the Complete Idiots Guide that it was one hundred percent illegal in Islam, no exceptions. I've read on websites that there's a limit on the first... I can't remember.. 90 days? Maybe it was 120 days? With the conflict I've read, is there an official stance on this and if so, what?

Edit: Question 2a) Another thing on this, my concern is mostly for things like rape or incest. What is the rule or official opinon on, say, the pill that after a rape? The concern I have here is not that it is used like a birth control, but for issues that are beyond the woman's control, like violence against her.

Here is a beutifull article that answers the question of abortion, and wether it is allowed in circumstancs of rape:

qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=...

Peace

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2010 - 1:51PM #8
Ceren

Hello Velizabeth,

As you will soon see... there's quite a bit of difference of opinions in Islam and people practice Islam in all sort of different ways. So in a sense you could say that there are a lot of "Islams" although the basic faith principles are the same.

1) I understand that it is against Muslim beliefs to be Homosexual (is this correct?). What is the official stance on treatment of homosexuals?

I would  say that for the VAST VAST majority of Muslims, committing homosexual sexual acts is a sin. There is a minority of Muslims who do not consider homosexuality a sin.

For the ones that consider that homosexuality is a sin, there are certain things though that should be kept in mind:

a. We are supposed to assume the best of people. So unless you see someone actively engaging in homosexual intercourse, you should not think or gossip that person XYZ is homosexual (you shhould never gossip though, period)

b. What is considered a sin is ACTING on homosexual tendencies. Having homosexual urges is not punishable

c. Homosexuals are people and sinners like any other Muslim. So they should  be treated with the same kindness any person in this world should be treated

d. If a homosexual has intercourse with another man in such a public way that he is seen by 4 people who were not "spying" or anything, but just simply seen (imagine for e.g. 2 people having sex in public) then it can be a crime punisheable by the state

There is a difference of opinion on this matter.

After 120 days, there's no difference of opinion. It is illegal unless, e.g., the life of the mother is in danger.

Before 120 days there's a difference of opinion. Some people say that it is not allowed. Other people say it is allowed on extenuating circumstances, including rape.

3) I hate to ask this last one, but please bear with me, I'm not trying to question the beliefs, but understand. If someone becomes Muslim because they feel it is right and farther down the road (years, maybe?) decides they made a mistake and leaves the religion, is there a punishment for them? Is this a cultural thing or in the beliefs of the religion if there is a punishment? I suppose that's a couple of questions, but I hope I'm explaining my concern right. I'm not saying that it would be me, but I know that when I was 10 years old I had no questions about my beliefs, but years later as an adult, I couldn't accept the religion anymore.

Here there is also a difference of opinion. Nowadays though the majority of scholars consider that if you just leave the religion because you just don't believe in it anymore, it is something between you and God. God will judge (as He will judge everything!).

Now if you leave the religion and start going crazy and trying to organize a revolt... you'll probably be accused and can be judged by the state.

I hope this helped!

All the best,

Ceren 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2010 - 12:52AM #9
Velizabeth

Hello :)

I completely forgot about this post. Thank you for the links, and the responses. I apprecaite it. I've learned a lot since then, although I feel I don't know anything :) I hope you're all doing well and thank you for taking time to respond, I appreciate it :)

Valerie

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 2:11PM #10
Nonchristianheaven

We hear so much negative about Muslims and I hate that we have to hear such things. I don't want the Media telling me what to think about others.

I truly believe that Islam is an honest faith of peace loving people. I have seen first-hand that Christians are not always as loving as they claim. We all have faults. I really hope I will get to learn more.

I wish the Muslims I see in our town were more approachable. I never know what to say as not to offend them. I know where I live people have small minds. I don't want them to think I feel that way.

I wanted to learn some Arabic, but I am not sure . I learned some Hebrew.

If you know any websites that are good about Islam please let me know, I like learning .

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook