5 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2009 - 3:50PM #1
Idenitycrisis

Are the sentiments of Mainstream Judaism toward Karaism similar to that for MJs and the like, or is there less disdain? Curious for sure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2009 - 8:54PM #2
ffb

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I view the karaite movement not with disdain per se but with a curious mix of confusion and admiration. Yes, they have held tight to an interesting tradition, but it is one which is not only proscribed in the texts (though in the texts which they deny, so the authority which asserts its own authority is understandably unpersuasive), but which causes huge divisions between communities.

I once spoke to a karaite about the issue of kosher law. The torah text does not spell out the laws of shechita but says that one is to abide by the laws "which god has taught" and yet those laws are not in the written law. In pharisaic/rabbinic judaism, we have the complementary oral law to fill in the laws. Karaites don't. He said that each community follows the rules of its local leader. That must make it difficult to standardize or intermingle and the laws would be so divergent so as to cover every permutation.

However, there is no similarity to the notion of "messianics" because Karaites, though they have endemic problems because of their denial of what I think is an essential belief component, do not claim the mantle of judaism while they are matrilineally non-jews, or try to couple matrilineal descent with A"Z.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2009 - 11:55PM #3
LeahOne

'shechita' = kosher slaughtering.  A person who performs the ritual slaughter is called a 'shochet'.

Yes, without the details it could become very confusing.

The ONLY real objection most of us have to 'MJ' is them using the 'J'  where we do not feel it describes their theology whatsoever.

The 'disdain' is in direct proportion to deceptive practices by SOME 'MJ' - more often it's 'j4j' (which is a different group altogether, I've been told). 

It is NOT usually a general scorn for Christianity, or for other faiths. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook