Switch to Forum Live View Insight Would Be Greatly Appreciated!
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 11:25PM #1
Coltpixied

Hello everyone. I'm new and am trying to find my path.

I was raised in an extremely conservative, Christian church, which turned me off to religion, and once I reached adulthood, have began searching for my own spiritual path. I feel it's appropriate to say I was indoctrinated, because, even though I know there's so much more to spirituality than Christianity, leaving that faith still bothers me--I can't shake the thought of "going to hell". I just want to be free of all that fundamentalism. I know I'll get there eventually, and if anyone has gone through anything similar, I would really appreciate any advice.

As for my path itself, I'm not quite sure if my beliefs fit any certain branch of paganism. I've had deep spiritual experiences since childhood...seeing faeries, getting premonitions, knowing things about people that no one else could have known, a lot of stuff. I communicated with what seemed to be a deceased human's spirit when I was 8 years old.

I have a penchant for the fae, to the point that I have Amy Brown-inspired backpiece tattoo. I'm captivated.

But I supposed my dilemma is that I'm so new to this and I haven't done enough  research to really pinpoint or label my spirituality. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 6:55AM #2
CreakyHedgewitch

Coltpixied,

I haven't gone through anything similar as I was never Christian period. However it is quite common, especially when transitioning from a fundamentalist upbringing. Think of yourself right as stepping from one place to another. The only foundation your feet have right now that is familiar is the one your back foot is still on. You don't have a 'familiar' place to put your other foot. So until you do, you can't put down the spiritual baggage you are carrying.

Paganism isn't a religion, at least it can't be defined as such. Individuals refer to it as his or her religion, otherwise named groups use it as an alternate name. I understand Paganism as a modern Movement to which individuals self-identify, self-define what paganism means, consider validation to come from his/her experiences and can't agree on a singular definition of a shared faith. There are some generalities as well, found in some parts but not all of this Movement. Self-responsibility is the core of any spiritual path. No rules or laws or rigid doctrine but rather accepting all consequences for one's actions, not passing the buck, projecting it onto others/entities and dealing with any backlash/feedback from actions taken. That learning is always experiential and that one makes meaning from one's direct experiences. This includes that some things can be taught from second- or third-hand written sources where others share his or her experiences but these sources are not divinely revealed sources of wisdom. That the Divine or Source is essentially recognisable and more reasonable as being polytheistic rather than monotheistic. And finally that nature is not irrelevant to one's spirituality because as human beings we cannot be considered separately from nature. This may mean a Pagan faith that is mainly or greatly nature-oriented or -worshipping by being personified by nature. Or that nature should be respected both for its omnipresent impact/power and in how one enacts one's life within nature. Or that nature at the very least must be taken into account independently from human needs.

Now there is a broad and diverse range of faiths, individually formed and shared that self-identify to Paganism. Some include what you listed although psychic abilities, ghosts or belief in otherworldly creatures are not copyrighted to any faith, culture or belief system.

Start with your core beliefs. The answers to those will narrow down your search from the possibilities. Does your faith need to be a relationship to the Divine or not? (And the fae are not Deities, at least not as traditionally known by the Celts). Do you want a shared faith? Are you ok to practice (and believe) alone? How do you feel about ritual? How would you enact your beliefs in your every day life? Should your faith reflect your ethics?

You might also want to check out the Reconstructionist Forum here, there are Celts there who can speak to what you resonate to.

C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 11:06AM #3
Coltpixied

Thank you so very much! Your reply is very helpful and appreciated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2009 - 7:21AM #4
CreakyHedgewitch

I'm glad something was helpful.

A blessing on your search,

C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook