Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Why are you in your faith/religion?
9 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2009 - 6:54AM #1
Jupiter

Hi,

I'm going on 10 years now as a regular church going christian.  (I was raised in a strong "church going" family but life and a need for critical thinking and authenticity called me away.  It's been a journey coming back.  I've always been "spiritual", but I was alienated from church.  At one point, I decided to be part of my family church and tradition.  

Early on, in my return, I chaffed at it all.  The insularity of the church goers - they seemed out of touch with the flow of life around,  creeds that seemed strange and foreign to me, confessions about sin that I didn't feel a need to confess, (and unnecessarily tainted my spiritual connection,) all led to an initial feeling of discomfort and the desperate need to find integrity and authenticity in this process of community worship.  There were Sundays where I could hardly sit in my seat (pew).  

It's been a long and fulfilling journey to where I am today- part of a wonderful community, on the church council, director of the church's ONE campaign, sitting on the education and service outreach committees, DART/FAITH member, (a local interfaith justice organization) and organizer of a local interfaith "Theology Club".  My faith is the center of my life and filling in all around me in most of what I do.    

What is your experience with faith?

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 11:25AM #2
Jupiter

Has anyone else experienced coming back after a "critical evaluation" period?  

What is it like to start out for the first time.  Are the rituals easy to understand if you weren't raised in them.  What is meaningful to those who are new to religious faith?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook