Switch to Forum Live View What Level of Witch are you?
5 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2009 - 8:03AM #1
Teknmage

Here is an interesting test,

> What Level of Witch are you? <

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2009 - 8:41PM #2
CreakyHedgewitch

Apparently I as a Witch have studied hard and learned a lot...always reassuring to know. No idea what the level I am at means within this test's scale as the levels do not seem to be further defined. Which is a good thing actually and given that the questions are all generic Pagan Witchcraft that one can find in many places on the Net or in most basic books, I will also refrain from getting faint from excitement from having received such an accolade.

I'd put this test in the same category as the Beliefnet Quiz. It should be taken as fun, perhaps an indication that one should study more widely and assignment of levels should be seen as based on the opinion(s) of whomever or whoever created this quiz.

A number of these questions for example can have varying answers depending on what system of correspondences a Pagan Witch was trained or familiar with or has created him/herself. Thus there is no one right answer but there are answers that work within various traditions and systems of Pagan Witchcraft. Within this test, someone has obviously decided that there is a correct answer or at least what answers match up correctly to which level of expertise.

For these reasons, I would add as a caution and encouragement to anyone beginning to explore or on his/her path as a novice Witch that no one can tell you or assign you to a level or rank you as a Witch. There is no one definition of what nuts&bolts constitutes or defines the Craft. Every Witch has had to start from scratch when learning some version of the Craft. All had/have to study. All had/have to practice. There will always be Witches better than you at some disciplines and those you are more experienced at than other Witches. All Witches bring his/her life to date experiences into the Craft.

Levels for Witches are only meaningful if they indicate progress within a defined program of study (Tradition/Path), for example cumulative studies being learned over time from a teacher or within a consensual-group (coven, tradition) where mastering a body of knowledge/experience is acknowledged by conferring a title. In religious traditions of Pagan Witchcraft notably for mystery-oriented faiths, one may have dedicant and initiative levels that indicate progress within that body of experiential and preparatory learning. There are also titles that confer and acknowledge both experience/knowledge and oaths/responsibilities within that consensual-group such as the Wiccan HPS and HP.

So thank you Teknmage for posting this and those who take this test, enjoy it for what it is but please try not to be discouraged or equally inflated by your results.

C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2009 - 11:08PM #3
Teknmage

Well I must have studied hard at some point also...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2009 - 8:36AM #4
CreakyHedgewitch

I regret to tell you that based on this test, it isn't that hard to do.

While I suspect that this test isn't meant to be inclusive or truly indicative of a Witch's experience or knowledge, it is interesting to look at what was included.

Consider the following. These are some of the more common nuts&bolts that I have observed may (or may not be) included in the wide diversity known as the Craft that I have talked about in the Witchcraft 101 Thread on the Welcome Witchcraft board.

I've indicated where the questions from the Test fall into this list.

The choice of becoming a Witch

Belief in Witchcraft

Taking the Honorific of Witch (Self-Naming, being Named)

Taking a Magical or Sacred Name
Dedication

A Working Definition of what the Craft is

Experiential Validation
Life-Long Learning and Study
PRACTICE equals Witchcraft-ing
Service (depends on the Tradition)

Sacred Vocation (depends on the Tradition)
Self-Responsibility and Self-Awareness
Ethics in the form of a guideline like the Rede and universal principle such as the Law of Return. The 13 Principles however are a politically correct snapshot.

Polytheism (depends on the Tradition)
(Question 3 - which assumes that a knowledge of Egyptian gods or ancient deities is needed in every Witch's practice of the Craft)
(Question 6 - the Goddess is many and there are many symbolic colors)
(Question 11 - again, depends on whether a Witch is involved etc with ancient gods, can't be assumed AND all four answers are correct. Astarte is believed to be a goddess of war hence also death, sex and fertility and implicitly love. Singular attributes for ancient deities such as are found in generic lists do not address these complexities)

Wholeness of Health - striving to be the best one can be
BOS (A tool)
Disciplines and Skills. Skills mirror the Disciplines. A Skill is the application and mastery of a Discipline gained through practice and purpose.
Organisation

Focus

Mediation

Visualisation

Divination Tools
(Question 4 - void of course is a much misused and rarely fully understood catch phrase relevant found within Western Astrology)
(Question 9 - actually they all can be used as divination tools but the generic obvious answer is pendulum.)

Energy Work - Chakras - Auras
(Question 13 - relating stone/colors to chakras is an example of a Western correspondence system)

Shielding

Dream-work

Healing
(Question 11 - herbal knowledge and depending on the complexity of the ritual, all answers might actually apply to some degree)

Handcrafting (making one's own tools)

Heightened Awareness (natural abilities trained to be tools)

Magic/Spellcraft
(Question 5 - the sun's use in spellcraft may differ greatly depending on the Witch)
(Question 12 - dressing a candle is generic to modern candle-magic though sourced from various folk practices.)

Correspondences
(Question 5 - the sun's correspondences may differ greatly depending on the Witch)
(Question 6 - the Goddess has many symbolic colors - depends on one's correspondence system or whether a Witch even relates to deities at all)
(Question 7 - again, mis-spelt pentacle and what is attributed will differ between correspondence systems) (Question 10 - colors for directions are again going to differ depending on the system involved)
(Question 11 - relates to correspondence values about eyebright)
(Question 13 - chakras and stones)

A Year and a Day practice

Celebrating Esbats (All Pagan Witches)
(Question 4 - not necessary to know when planning out esbats)

Celebrating Sabbats (depends on the Tradition)
Rituals

Athames and Wands (Question 1)
(Question 2- spelt incorrectly),
(Question 8 - mis-spelt cauldron and this tool has many correspondences depending on the Witch(es) and Traditions involved)
(Question 9 - still mis-spelt...) (Question 14 - boline, another tool)

The pattern of questions really only deals with ritual tools, correspondences, divination tools, spellcraft, herblore and generic ancient deity correspondences. All pretty much the stuff found in paint-by-numbers generic Pagan Witchcraft books and websites. Perhaps that is all this test is meant to convey....or measure.

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2009 - 1:24PM #5
Teknmage

I've got to be honest, I'm a judgmental kind of guy. In my judgment no one that has put twenty, thirty, or forty years into learning the craft is really going to believe that twenty questions is going to seriously evaluate what they have learn. I'd be inclined to believe that any one who has spent say five or ten years learning will not print out these results and frame them on a wall.

Is it too easy to get the highest rating here? That is something we could talk about, and why you feel that way. Does the fact that some words are misspelled invalidate this test? LOL I'm almost sure a requirement for spelling was not listed in your, Sst: Witchcraft 101 < which has many of the answers for this test by the way! Like I said in my original post I find this an interesting test, one does not need to answer every question correctly to get the highest score here. To get a level one on this test, would suggest to me that one truly does need to study more if they wish to have meaningful conversations with their fellow Wiccans...

On another board someone has asked is the meaning/understanding of some words becoming so broad that the words concepts become meaningless? I've noticed that in my reading of your post that you tend to be far less willing to share your judgments with others than I am.

I must say as such I was truly suprise to read > All Wiccans are solitary in his or her personal practices, regardless of whether they are involved with the Religion or not. < Care to elaborate on what I hear as a very judgmental statement, and so not like you? There are certain forms of magic that to work require more than one practitioner... That require a most intimate form of coupling shall we say? In the  Sst: Witchcraft 101 < you went out of your way to acknowledge that no two would agree on just what is, so are all likely to agree on what it is not?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2009 - 8:46AM #6
CreakyHedgewitch

Teknmage,

I do wish I could get this new fangled quote function to work...ah well, probably just un-technical old Creaky again....quotation marks will have to do.

"Is it too easy to get the highest rating here? That is something we could talk about, and why you feel that way."

The scope of information covered in the questions is all basic, generic, the kind that you find in every Witchcraft 'primer' that Llewellyn etc put out or the myriad of websites out there predicated on the same scope. So anyone who reads one,...perhaps several given the polytheistic stuff may not be covered off in just one....is probably going to have a shot at achieving the highest rating. Yet doesn't it come back however to what is being rated and why? If this test is meant for adult newbies Witches or the teenage audience that most primers I've seen are targeted for, then the highest rating would indeed reflect that he or she had achieved this scope. It is however a limited scope whereas Pagan Witchcraft is concerned and that was the basis for my concern.

"Does the fact that some words are misspelled invalidate this test? LOL I'm almost sure a requirement for spelling was not listed in your, > Sst: Witchcraft 101 < which has many of the answers for this test by the way! "

Well I'm a stickler for spelling as well as grammar. Incorrect spelling does not invalidate the test. English is a rich and diverse language and morphs in spelling do occur regularly. It does however bother me wherever it occurs, notably with words that I use regularly. I also think that what it may indicate should at least be acknowledged. First, it may indicate that the originator of this test has either created or adapted alternate spellings of these words. I tend to find this happening in those under thirty and notably teenagers who seem to do so in order to 'own' the words or confer on them an 'uniqueness'. If one wants to do that individually or amongst a consensual-agreed group, fine. Doing so on the Net where someone who doesn't know any better walks away thinking this is how these words are supposed to be spelt is spreading mis-information. Second, it may simply be that the originator doesn't care about spelling, can't be bothered to use basic spell-check or proof read what was put on the website. Again, that doesn't invalidate the test within its limited scope. Not all Witches are good spellers. It would however speak instead to basic patterns of behavior that may limit this individual's potential involvement within the deeper aspects of the Craft.

"Like I said in my original post I find this an interesting test, one does not need to answer every question correctly to get the highest score here. To get a level one on this test, would suggest to me that one truly does need to study more if they wish to have meaningful conversations with their fellow Wiccans..."

Is one the highest level? I couldn't find anywhere that the levels were explained.

Are you using the term Wiccan generically here or do you think that only Wiccans are Witches? (Creaky asks, having never been Wiccan but having been a Pagan Witch for 25+ years....)

"I've noticed that in my reading of your post that you tend to be far less willing to share your judgments with others than I am."

And here I was thinking I am entirely too judgmental online...who knew?

"I must say as such I was truly suprise to read > All Wiccans are solitary in his or her personal practices, regardless of whether they are involved with the Religion or not. < Care to elaborate on what I hear as a very judgmental statement, and so not like you?"

It is a simple statement of fact actually though perhaps my use of the term the Religion here may be misleading. There is a tendency to split Wiccans up into those involved in traditions/covens/groups and those who are solitary in practice. It is really a moot point with the exception that those who have always been solitary would not have the opportunity to experience the fullness of the mystery faith that is the Religion of Wicca. Otherwise, all Wiccan Witches will have a personal practice that lies outside of any tradition or coven or group work that he or she engages within the Religion. Whether he or she is currently involved with the shared Religion itself or not, each Wiccan Witch is and remains a solitary practitioner as well. Does that make more sense?

"There are certain forms of magic that to work require more than one practitioner... That require a most intimate form of coupling shall we say?"

True though not all forms of shared magic are sexual in nature. Otherwise, not sure where you are going with this....

"In the > Sst: Witchcraft 101 < you went out of your way to acknowledge that no two would agree on just what is, so are all likely to agree on what it is not?"

Hardly.

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook