Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Welcome to the Welcome Wicca Board - Please Introduce Yourself!
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2009 - 11:34AM #1
CreakyHedgewitch

This board is dedicated to the exploration of, questions about and basic discussions about the Religion of Wicca. We also have a main Wicca Board here for general discussions or those that are beyond the basic level. If the question or discussion is potential contentious, please make a thread on the Discuss Wicca Board over here. If you decide you chose an inappropriate board for your thread, your Hosts, Innerpoint or I, will be glad to transfer it to another Wicca board.

You will find those here like yourself just exploring or starting out or just trying to make sense of everything out there that is labelled as Wicca or wicca. For some here, it has been a while since he or she started out so please try to be patient if you get a response you consider to be impatient. (Handy rule of thumb: if you hear a tone in someone’s post...please ask he or she if that is valid or not…) Not everything that you have read or heard or been told about as Wicca is going to be agreed upon here as being valid. Such disagreements are not about you personally or the validity of your spirituality. They are about what those offering responses to you consider to be recognisable and therefore that should be acknowledged as being (part of, representative of) the Religion of Wicca.

Part of being or becoming Wicca is to know that change is a constant. So whether you are just interested or inspired or seeking instructions, expect your beliefs to change as you grown and learn. If you see the term UPG used, this means Unverifiable Personal Gnosis. Wicca is not a revealed religion. All the books and websites can 'tell' you is what someone else's second- or even third-hand experiences of the Religion of Wicca was or is. The Religion of Wicca was and remains experiential in validation and at the core of that validation will be an individual’s intimate relationship with the Gods of Wicca. Whether solitary by necessity or choice or within a shared Wiccan Tradition, the individual’s experiences of participation within the Religion will form part of his or her UPG.

Now if this seems to be contradictory that others may withhold their recognition or acknowledgement based on their UPG and/or a Tradition’s consensus of recognition and tell you that your UPG contradicts what is recognisable as Wicca, please consider the following. First, the Religion of Wicca was conceived as a mystery religion, passed down through lineaged transmission of oathbound preparatory information and practiced within small intimate groups (covens/traditions). There are aspects of that which cannot translate into the published and mass-accessible traditions of Wicca that are available today. This doesn't necessarily make newer Traditions or solitary practitioners invalid, it does limit and change the experience and hence the UPG of the Religion. Second, the Religion of Wicca has a researched and documented origin within the 20th century that drew upon many prior and contemporary sources (folklore, legends, myths, speculative histories, etc) when it was conceived and as it evolved. As a result, there is both a documented history and a mythological history of what this Religion is that address should or should not be recognised. Knowing both histories provides a framework of recognition, for example, what the generally recognisable core beliefs are such as listed here. Both histories are also essential and interact together to form the breadth and diversity of what is known as Wicca.

Please ask your questions. They might have been asked before but that's ok. There will be at least one member who is willing to offer his or her perspective and more than likely, several with differing or depending on the question, conflicting opinions.

If you can't find the questions you want answered, please create a new thread to ask. You are welcome to join in discussions and if you truly believe in something, then stand your ground. Remember to be courteous in disagreement and also this. That you are entitled to your opinions and beliefs just like everyone else. No one can make you change what you believe about Wicca unless you decide to do so.

If you do find that what you learned to date no longer seems valid, please remember that nothing we learn in life is ever really wasted. Every detour and step that brought you to such a conclusion was necessary to reach that point.

So once again, enter and be welcome to the Welcome Wicca board.

C.H.

Beliefnet Co-Host for the Welcome Wicca Board

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2009 - 1:33PM #2
Cinnamon6

Mar 7, 2009 -- 11:34AM, CreakyHedgewitch wrote:

This board is dedicated to the exploration of, questions about and basic discussions about the Religion of Wicca. We also have a main Wicca Board here for general discussions or those that are beyond the basic level. If the question or discussion is potential contentious, please make a thread on the Discuss Wicca Board over here. If you decide you chose an inappropriate board for your thread, your Hosts, Innerpoint or I, will be glad to transfer it to another Wicca board.

You will find those here like yourself just exploring or starting out or just trying to make sense of everything out there that is labelled as Wicca or wicca. For some here, it has been a while since he or she started out so please try to be patient if you get a response you consider to be impatient. (Handy rule of thumb: if you hear a tone in someone’s post...please ask he or she if that is valid or not…) Not everything that you have read or heard or been told about as Wicca is going to be agreed upon here as being valid. Such disagreements are not about you personally or the validity of your spirituality. They are about what those offering responses to you consider to be recognisable and therefore that should be acknowledged as being (part of, representative of) the Religion of Wicca.

Part of being or becoming Wicca is to know that change is a constant. So whether you are just interested or inspired or seeking instructions, expect your beliefs to change as you grown and learn. If you see the term UPG used, this means Unverifiable Personal Gnosis. Wicca is not a revealed religion. All the books and websites can 'tell' you is what someone else's second- or even third-hand experiences of the Religion of Wicca was or is. The Religion of Wicca was and remains experiential in validation and at the core of that validation will be an individual’s intimate relationship with the Gods of Wicca. Whether solitary by necessity or choice or within a shared Wiccan Tradition, the individual’s experiences of participation within the Religion will form part of his or her UPG.

Now if this seems to be contradictory that others may withhold their recognition or acknowledgement based on their UPG and/or a Tradition’s consensus of recognition and tell you that your UPG contradicts what is recognisable as Wicca, please consider the following. First, the Religion of Wicca was conceived as a mystery religion, passed down through lineaged transmission of oathbound preparatory information and practiced within small intimate groups (covens/traditions). There are aspects of that which cannot translate into the published and mass-accessible traditions of Wicca that are available today. This doesn't necessarily make newer Traditions or solitary practitioners invalid, it does limit and change the experience and hence the UPG of the Religion. Second, the Religion of Wicca has a researched and documented origin within the 20th century that drew upon many prior and contemporary sources (folklore, legends, myths, speculative histories, etc) when it was conceived and as it evolved. As a result, there is both a documented history and a mythological history of what this Religion is that address should or should not be recognised. Knowing both histories provides a framework of recognition, for example, what the generally recognisable core beliefs are such as listed here. Both histories are also essential and interact together to form the breadth and diversity of what is known as Wicca.

Please ask your questions. They might have been asked before but that's ok. There will be at least one member who is willing to offer his or her perspective and more than likely, several with differing or depending on the question, conflicting opinions.

If you can't find the questions you want answered, please create a new thread to ask. You are welcome to join in discussions and if you truly believe in something, then stand your ground. Remember to be courteous in disagreement and also this. That you are entitled to your opinions and beliefs just like everyone else. No one can make you change what you believe about Wicca unless you decide to do so.

If you do find that what you learned to date no longer seems valid, please remember that nothing we learn in life is ever really wasted. Every detour and step that brought you to such a conclusion was necessary to reach that point.

So once again, enter and be welcome to the Welcome Wicca board.

C.H.

Beliefnet Co-Host for the Welcome Wicca Board

Hello; I'm new to wicca/neopagan. I'm Cinnamon6. I feel I fit here, though I am a beginner. I would like to read beginner books; if anyone has any suggestions on books I'd appreciate it. I've heard it takes a year & a day to fully study this. My e-mail address is pooperpuppy@ymail.com . Please, I'd like only sincere help. I have had a very abusive upbringing, so please be kind. I'm hanging by a thread & would like to hear from sincere, kind others. I'm physically disabled & my soul is blocked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or one could leave a PM on my profile. I would return the same kindness. Thanks for listening. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2009 - 8:16AM #3
CreakyHedgewitch

Cinnamon6,

Welcome to the Earth-Based Forum.

It is up to members whether they wish to contact another member by email. As usual, I will take the opportunity to remind those reading of the inherent security risks in posting an email address on a public forum such as this. There are those who search for such information that do not have anyone's best interests in mind. Folks tend to be rather cavalier about this but I've seen too much damage done to be so.

That said, as this is a discussion forum, we do try to encourage those participating to do so here and again, you are most welcome to participate.

Each of us was a beginner on our chosen path. For some of us, that was a long time ago...and it is always good to be reminded of what the spiritual landscape looked like back then.

Are you more interested in the Religion of Wicca or in the more generic Paganism Movement, which in itself is not a religion? Both of these are experiential and in the case of Paganism, self-defined as well. So anything written about them are second- or third-hand experiences from others. Still there are books that have basic information that can be useful, which may be recommended. This old thread is about the core beliefs that make a practice recognisable as being that of Wicca. A starting point as it were for you to begin a working definition for your studies and perhaps also in determining what resonates for you most strongly right now. That will also help determine what books might be most useful as well. www.beliefnet.com/boards/message_list.as...

The year and a day tradition is not only about study but rather also about active practice. It allows the practitioner (notably within Wicca) to experience by participation a full year of Sabbats, Esbats and traditionally also getting to know other members of a coven. At that point, the practitioner can knowledgeably decide if Wicca is the right fit or not. Study otherwise is life-long and never-ending.

You are welcome to ask any questions here, begin any threads. It doesn't matter how often beginner questions are asked, they are always worthy of being answered as honestly as possible. Being a message board, answers are usually not immediate, sometimes one has to wait for others to respond. While I am not always in every day during the summers, I (being a Host as well) do try to respond to any posts on my boards to the best of my abilities. My opinions of course are only from my perspective and while always sincerely offered, may not be what you expect or wish to hear. It is far more unkind, IMO, to provide someone with a dishonest answer or opinion that in the long run, they will have to unlearn to progress spiritually or that will prevent them from moving forward at all. Being Wiccan or being profoundly Pagan is and can be a life-transforming spiritual path and when practiced life-long, continually calls up the best of what each of us is and can be.

I hope you will join us here, Cinnamon.

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2009 - 1:16PM #4
Cinnamon6

THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE. I ORDERED A BOOK FROM AMAZON WHICH SHOULD BE HERE BY FRIDAY. I MIGHT HAVE QUESTIONS. AS FAR AS THE E-MAIL, I SPAM ANY TITLES THAT I DON'T RECONIZE. AND A SECURITY FILTER. I JUST WOULD LIKE SOME TEACHING & ANSWERS[SINCERE] DUE TO THE TRAUMA I'VE BEEN THROUGH THE LAST 10 YEARS [BURYING 2 OF MY YOUNG CHILDREN THEN OUR MOM & DAD DIED LAST YEAR & BEING IN A HOSTILE ENVIRNMENT I FEEL THAT I'M BLOCKED. BEFORE MY CAR ACCIDENT FROM A GRAND MAL SEIZURE 6 MONTHS AFTER  THEIR DEATHS & WAS DIAGNOSED W/ LUPUS & FIBROMYALGIA I WAS A PARAMADIC FOR 14 YEARS. I FEEL THAT I'M HANGING BY A THREAD RIGHT NOW & I NEED TO CLEANSE MYSELF. SORRY FOR THE NEGATIVE SITUATIONS, BUT I'D BE LYING IF I SAID ANYTHING DIFFERENT. I'VE ALWAYS FELT CLOSE TO NATURE & ANIMALS ESPECIALLY. ARE THERE ANY BOOKS PERTAINING TO CLEANSING ONESELF THAT COULD BE RECCOMENDED? AGAIN, THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING WITH ALL OF YOU SOON.-CINNAMON6  P.S. ARE THERE ANY WAYS TO PROTECT OUR HOME FROM NEGATIVITY? SEA SALT MAYBE?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2009 - 1:55PM #5
Cinnamon6

COULD YOU EXPLAIN DIANAC ? DO YOU DO PAST LIFE REGRESSION ALSO? I READ IT ON YOUR PROFILE & IT SOUNDS INTERESTING. DIANAC IS VERY CLOSE TO MY NAME. COULD YOU BE SO KIND TO DO A PAST LIFE REGRESSION FOR ME? i WOULD BE GRATEFUL. I'VE HAD VERY DETAILED DREAMS WITH THE SAME MAN NAMED MICHAEL. I KNOW OF NO MICHAEL IN MY LIFE. THESE DREAMS TOOK PLACE IN DIFFERENT CENTURIES. I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL! MAYBE YOU COULD PM ME IF YOU WISH. IT WOULD HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND MY CURRENT FEARS AMONG OTHER THINGS. THANK YOU-CINNAMON6

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2009 - 9:21PM #6
CreakyHedgewitch

Cinnamon6,

Hello again. Just peeked in on the boards before I'm off for the weekend. Well, I'll try to offer a perspective on what I can.

"I ordered a book from amazon which should be here by friday. I might have questions."

Always glad to respond to questions.

"As far as the e-mail, i spam any titles that i don't reconize. And a security filter."

Glad to hear that.

"I just would like some teaching & answers[sincere] due to the trauma i've been through the last 10 years [burying 2 of my young children then our mom & dad died last year & being in a hostile envirnment i feel that i'm blocked. Before my car accident from a grand mal seizure 6 months after their deaths & was diagnosed w/ lupus & fibromyalgia i was a paramadic for 14 years."

Passing through and experiencing such events has given you experience with life and death that many people don't have. That can be a source of strength that one can learn to draw upon.

"I feel that i'm hanging by a thread right now"

I was a caregiver for my mother for seven years (Alzheimer's) before she passed on. What I learned from that experience was to take one day at a time as well as take one step at a time on my spiritual path. The present was all she had because of her illness and that I came to understand is all I ever had to deal with. The past was there to learn from but the future never truly arrives becomes when we get to it, it is already the 'here and now'.

"& i need to cleanse myself. Sorry for the negative situations, but i'd be lying if i said anything different."

No need to apologise for explaining about being ill or experiencing the loss of loved ones, Cinnamon.

"I've always felt close to nature & animals especially."

Not exclusive to Paganism or Wicca by any means but definitely a source of strength to pull from.

"Are there any books pertaining to cleansing oneself that could be reccomended?"

That question might be easier to answer a bit further along your studies. The reason I say that is that cleansing rituals tend to need a framework of belief within which to operate. A cleansing ritual that a Neo-Druid for example might use would differ from that of a Wiccan Witch or a uniquely self-defined Pagan because each has a different framework of beliefs that make the cleansing ritual meaningful.

"p.s. are there any ways to protect our home from negativity? Sea salt maybe?"

There are numerous ways to protect one's home, depending on one's beliefs. Sorry, I know that is a vague answer but I'm not sure what exactly you believe in. Knowing that would help me to recommend what might work for you. Spellcraft, which is what you are referring to works somewhat like herbology. What works well for one person doesn't work for another. One general rule of thumb though is that if one cleanses a home or any space, the negativity that has been banished will leave behind a void that it had occupied. So one must invite in...well positivity I suppose would be an appropriate term. Again, it depends on what you believe in. You invite in the positive energy or whatever to fill the void the cleansing leaves. Otherwise the negativity will return. When I'm back next week and have the time, I'll look through my back files for some house cleansing rituals I've used in the past.

"Could you explain dianac ?"

Dianic is a term that has various meanings but the one I align to is a goddess-only, women-only faith or religious tradition, in my case, a religious Tradition that identifies as a form of Pagan Witchcraft. Some Dianics are not Witches though. The term itself has a complex history, which I will really shorten here. Roman writers had a tendency to label anything feminine and divine as Diana, a kind of uber-name for goddess within the Empire. A writer Margaret Murray in the 1920's took this as evidence that there had been a WitchCult throughout Europe that worshipped Diana. Murray also wrote that Diana's consort was a god called Dianus. This theory has since been disproved as actual history but Murray's writings inspired a woman Morgan McFarland in Texas in the late 60's to found a Pagan religion that was called Old Dianic (from Dianus actually, not Diana). When Z. Budapest in California created a lesbian-oriented, radically and aggressively political religion of Witchcraft in the 70's, the only two forms of witchcraft known at that time in the US was British Traditional, which Z. had rejected and Old Dianic. So Z's religion became known as New Dianic, which then went on to merge into the growing Women's Spirituality Movement in North America that had networks of workshops, gatherings and publications from the late 70's through to today. New Dianic or just Dianic became associated with the Feminist version of the Goddess Diana or as a label for Feminist Spirituality/Witchcraft or for any group with a complete or primary focus on just the Feminine Divine. Dianic Paganism is a term for the broader spectrum of women-only, goddess-only. Just to be more confusing, also in the late 70's, out of the Tradition of Alexandrian Wicca emerged Dianic Wicca, that has a primary focus on the Goddess but still retains the duality of the Goddess and the God. So IMO, Dianic Wicca is not part of Dianic Paganism though the name is the same. Hope that isn't too confusing. Did it answer the question?

"Do you do past life regression also?"

Actually no I don't. I believe that everyone is born with the potential to tap into his or her past life information. It is a normal human ability IMO that doesn't require being regressed to tap into. In my case as a healer, I use my own system of past life astrology to translate the information I receive intuitively about my clients (that I often don't meet) as well during as in-person deep trance sessions using Tarot as a trigger.

You are already tapping into your past life information with the dreams you mentioned. I would recommend that you start a past life journal, recording those dreams as your first set of clues. While it is a bit unusual for someone incarnating to have the same name in various lives (or even the same gender), it can happen.Other clues can be habits or preferences or strong feelings that can't be explained otherwise.

Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to take on any new clients right now. However if you wanted to provide your birthdate, birthtime and birth-location info (needed to do an astrology chart), I may be able to provide you at least with some high-level suggestions for you to research further past life clues.

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2009 - 5:06PM #7
Cinnamon6

Thank You CreakyHedgew for all the answers. It did help. In case you could help; I was born Dec. 27th, 1964 at 8:10 AM in Sacramento, Ca.. I'd be grateful in addition to your help to give you  this information to help me when you can. I hope you have a wonderful weekend too!-Diana. I would like to study Wicca. My environment is so negative, I'm afraid I'm going to lose it soon!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2009 - 7:56AM #8
CreakyHedgewitch

Cinnomon,

Just wanted to let you know I did see your post today. Thank you for the information. I'll have some time on the coming weekend, I see what I can offer back to you.

Stay tuned,

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2009 - 6:13PM #9
CreakyHedgewitch

Cinammon,

You have email from Yahoo. Title should say From CreakyHedgewitch on Beliefnet - past life reading.

If you don't get it, please let me know.

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 5:16PM #10
Cinnamon6

Hi there, I did receive the e-mail. Thank you so much for the fascinating message! It answered some personal unanswered questions I've had for years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook