6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 2:34PM #1
Hilaria
It is my understanding that blood transfusions are forbidden to Witnesses on the grounds that they violate the Biblical command against eating blood, and that an adult Witness who received one could (would?) be disfellowshipped.

I believe that I have heard of court cases involving children, where U.S. courts intervened and mandated that medical treatment (including blood transfusions) be given to the children of Jehovah's Witnesses. If this is the case, would there be any punishment (either in terms of church discipline or spiritually) for the children or their parents? Or would this be a case where, since the transfusion was given against the will of the family, where the parents and child would be considered innocent?

(My question, by the way, is purely hypothetical. I'm not a Jehovah's Witness and I don't know anyone in this situation.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 3:08AM #2
marken

Hilaria wrote:

It is my understanding that blood transfusions are forbidden to Witnesses on the grounds that they violate the Biblical command against eating blood, and that an adult Witness who received one could (would?) be disfellowshipped.

I believe that I have heard of court cases involving children, where U.S. courts intervened and mandated that medical treatment (including blood transfusions) be given to the children of Jehovah's Witnesses. If this is the case, would there be any punishment (either in terms of church discipline or spiritually) for the children or their parents? Or would this be a case where, since the transfusion was given against the will of the family, where the parents and child would be considered innocent?

(My question, by the way, is purely hypothetical. I'm not a Jehovah's Witness and I don't know anyone in this situation.)

Hi  Hilaria,
I would  not  accept  a  blood  transfusion  as  I  do  not  believe  I  could  have  it  pumped into my veins  and  abstain  from  blood  at  the  same  time.  Acts 15::20.   You will  notice  the  scripture  also  says  to  abstain  from  fornication.  If  a  sexual  act  was  done  to myself  or  my  children   against  my will  do you  think  God  would  hold me  at  fault  for  it?   I  will  abstain  from  both, but  unfortunately,  we  live  in  a  wicked  world  where  a  stronger  person  can  force  one into  activities  that  they  would  never  do  on their  own. 
In most  cases, in North America,  it  is  very  rare  for  doctors  to use  the  authority of  the  courts  to  force  the  use  of  blood.   It  has  happened  here  in  Canada  a  few  times.   
We  very much  appreciate  life  and  doctors  and hospitals  and medical  treatment.   We  want  to  live.   However,  we  will not  break  what  we  consider  a  direction  from God  to  save  our  lives.
Hope  this  helps
with  affection  from  Marken

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 1:44PM #3
Hilaria
Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook