5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 10:34PM #1
koolpoi
Who paid the first visit to the tomb of Jesus after his crucifiction and who did they see there?The different Gospels seem to be in conflict on this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 10:31AM #2
Anesis
There seems to be contradiction, but I believe that the Bible is without contradiction; therefore, the gospels can be harmonized.

It was women who first went to the tomb, but it was men who wrote the gospels. We are not told which woman told which man her perspective on the events. For example, Mary Magdalene might have only seen one angel at the tomb before running to tell the disciples, and the other Mary and Salome might have seen two, but one might have seemed more "significant" if only one of them spoke. The other woman might have been more prone to provide every little detail, even if it seemed insignificant.

What we do know is that an angel visited the tomb first; there was an earthquake, the guards fainted, and the angel rolls away the stone.

We also know that a group of women which included Mary, Mary, and Salome were the first people to visit the tomb. We know that Mary Magdalene ran to tell the disciples, and that the two women who remained at the tomb saw two angels there. They went to report what they saw to the disciples, and on the way, they see Jesus. After this, they told the disciples, and Peter and John ran to the tomb and found it empty. Mary Magdalene returned to the tomb and saw the angels, and then she saw Jesus, after which Jesus started appearing to others.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2009 - 10:38PM #3
koolpoi
What about the ending of Mark?(the real ending,not the later addition).
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 2:11PM #4
Anesis
All scripture can be reconciled. There is no mention of how long the women remained silent. If it were me there, I'd be pretty dumbfounded myself and probably unable to speak for a while.

I recall as a young teen, I went out to clean the pool one morning, and found our cat floating there, dead. I could not speak, but I ran to get my parents....I still could not speak, but I pointed, and they came running back to the pool with me. I'm sure it was half an hour before I could speak again. How much more would I have been dumbfounded by finding my Lord had risen from the grave!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2009 - 4:13AM #5
koolpoi

But writing long after the event at the pool,you DID mention when you spoke again.Mark was written long after the events described.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2009 - 2:42PM #6
Anesis

I'm sorry, I am missing your point, or the question. What about it?

The book of Mark was abruptly ended, and it appears to be finished by someone else. I can't speculate on what he might have or not have written, but even still, we know that the perspective of each of the gospels is different and has different focus. Perhaps Mark would have finished his own story and mentioned it clearly; perhaps not. The gospels are harmonious in that all they say lines up with each other. That doesn't mean that each of them say the exact same things. However, what they do say can be verified by at least one of the others.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2009 - 4:08PM #7
koolpoi

If the women ever told anyone about what they had seen,that would have been a very important part of the story.Why wouldn't Mark have written about it?He wrote long after the events so either he didn't know about the women spreading the word or he didn't think it should be mentioned.Either option seems dubious.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2009 - 4:54PM #8
Anesis

I have no idea when Mark wrote, and perhaps he had every intention of writing about it. I don't think anyone knows what happened to him that he stopped writing so suddenly. They do speculate that with the style of writing, he was not finished the work, and another author took it over and added a very simple ending that does not flow with the rest of the literary style of the book.

We also have to be careful about who the works were written to. For example, when writing to certain places, Paul had to be careful about the language he used pertaining to women because in some places, it was very frowned upon to give women the liberties they had in Christ. When he wrote to other places, he could be more liberal about women's freedom.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook