Switch to Forum Live View A Muslim researching miracles of Juses (peace be upon him)
5 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2009 - 2:46AM #1
Mohamed Khalil
Hello all,

You may find this unusual; I am not on the Christian forums to debate, I am actually studying Islamic Knowledge, I am  doing a paper on differences and similarities between the last two books sent from God (from my view), the topic at hand is the miracles of Jesus (Peace be upon him).

Unfortunately I have not studied Christianity well due to my occupation with studying Islam, buy this year I am studying the Quran and naturally as I come across the verses about the bible, Jesus, Christian stories, history and the Christian faith I will have the opportunity to study them in detail, God willing.

The topic at hand is the miracles God sent with Jesus (Peace be upon him), what I desperately need from you to please volunteer to clear my ignorance on them and whether or not they exist in the bible or in other Christian writings, even if they are slightly different. I will list a number of miracles found in the Quran and you can please tell me if they are in your faith too and where (just writing holy bible or the name of the other source will do, and if you have the time, you will be really helping me if you give me some detail, especially if there is a difference in the way the story is told or in the story itself. If there is a miracle that is not there or you do not know of, please do not say so unless you are sure (or my Paper would be a failure)

Here are the miracles from the Quran

1-    Healing the sick; we are told in the Quran that Jesus (peace be upon him) healed the blind, the lepers and the mute.

2-    Waking the dead

3-    Giving life; the Quran mentions that Jesus (peace be upon him) built a statue simulating a bird and then blew air from his mouth and the bird became alive

4-    The Banquet: actually a whole chapter is named “the banquet” in reference to this miracle, it is mentioned that the disciples asked Jesus if God could bring down a banquet (a very large dining table ) from heaven, they said they wanted to eat from it, comfort their hearts (by actually seeing this great event), re-assure themselves in the truth Jesus came with (this is not because they had doubt just re-assurance like I mentioned), and to be honored by witnessing this great miracle, Jesus then asks God to bring it down so it can be a feast for all of them and a miracle from God. The banquet is then sent down from the heavens before them

5-    Telling their secrets; Jesus was able to tell the people what their kept in their home and even what they had for meals

6-    Miracle birth; the Quran states that Jesus (peace be upon him was born without a father, Mary gave birth to him after the Angel Gabriel came to her to give her glad tidings about the miracle birth

7-    speaking as a baby; the Quran states Jesus spoke as a baby to his Mother Mary to re-assure her after she was terrified of what her people would say and do to her after the birth of Jesus ( it must have been terrifying to have a child and claim to be still a virgin in those times). Jesus also spoke to the people when they started pressuring Mary and questioning her on where she got the baby, Mary, told not to speak, pointed at baby Jesus and as they questioned on how she expects them to talk to him he spoke, clearing his mother from the false accusations, to explain to the people who he was and what he was sent to do.

note: I have actually posted this earlier today on another post, I think it was life and faith, but I am really interested to see what will be saud here, I feel the topic is one that needs a lot of research, I feel that in this forum the replies will involve more quoting from the bible itself rather than other books, lectures etc... which is what I need more at tis point in my studying. I also believe in going to the source, so I thought posting here too will increase my chances of etting a more complete idea of these miracles in the bible.

I thank you all for reading and I thank those who will help in advance, you have no idea how much any valid information said here will be of help.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2009 - 10:44AM #2
Anesis
Mohamed Khalil, because you are here to learn about Evangelical Christianity, I have moved your thread to the Welcome forum.

[LIST]
[*]Yes,      he healed the blind, deaf, mute, paralyzed, bleeding disorders, and others.      The most important healing Jesus did was to heal people spiritually through      the forgiveness of sins – Holy Bible
[*]Jesus      not only woke the dead, but he also was raised from the dead – holy Bible.
[*]Never      heard of this one.
[*]Never      heard of this one either.
[*]I      have never heard of “telling their secrets” as in what they had for      dinner, but Jesus did have a conversation with a woman, and he knew that      she had been married several times and was presently living with a man.
[*]The      virgin birth is in the Bible and tells of Mary being impregnated by the      Holy Spirit.
[*]I      have never heard of this…the Bible tells us that God spoke to Joseph,      telling him to not be afraid to take Mary as his wife, and so culturally      speaking, Mary would have been under his protection.[/LIST]   
  Jesus also performed many other miracles, including turning water to wine and feeding 5000 people on two loaves of bread and five fish. These are also in the Bible.

One of the things I have to say to be careful about is “other Christian writings.” Putting together what we call our Bible was a rigorous process which involved strict adherence to very specific guidelines about what could and could not be “canonized.” We believe our Bible is the authoritative word of God because the books in it passed this process. All other early Christian writings did not pass the process, as they were found to contain errors and inconsistencies with all the other books that were canonized. For example, we do not have a book called Thomas in our Bible simply because it had many inconsistencies with the other four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). That is not to say that the whole book of Thomas is wrong, but rather that we can’t verify what is in the book by comparing it with other witnesses and early writers. For us, when we read “other books” most of us will find out whether it is congruent with our Bible. Evangelicals believe that the Bible is our final authority.

All the best with your studies!
Anesis
Beliefnet Community Host
Welcome: Evangelical Christianity
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Sep 23, 2013 - 4:56PM #3
Jonathandj

Jan 30, 2009 -- 2:46AM, Mohamed Khalil wrote:

Hello all, You may find this unusual; I am not on the Christian forums to debate, I am actually studying Islamic Knowledge, I am doing a paper on differences and similarities between the last two books sent from God (from my view), the topic at hand is the miracles of Jesus (Peace be upon him). Unfortunately I have not studied Christianity well due to my occupation with studying Islam, buy this year I am studying the Quran and naturally as I come across the verses about the bible, Jesus, Christian stories, history and the Christian faith I will have the opportunity to study them in detail, God willing. The topic at hand is the miracles God sent with Jesus (Peace be upon him), what I desperately need from you to please volunteer to clear my ignorance on them and whether or not they exist in the bible or in other Christian writings, even if they are slightly different. I will list a number of miracles found in the Quran and you can please tell me if they are in your faith too and where (just writing holy bible or the name of the other source will do, and if you have the time, you will be really helping me if you give me some detail, especially if there is a difference in the way the story is told or in the story itself. If there is a miracle that is not there or you do not know of, please do not say so unless you are sure (or my Paper would be a failure) Here are the miracles from the Quran 1- Healing the sick; we are told in the Quran that Jesus (peace be upon him) healed the blind, the lepers and the mute. 2- Waking the dead 3- Giving life; the Quran mentions that Jesus (peace be upon him) built a statue simulating a bird and then blew air from his mouth and the bird became alive 4- The Banquet: actually a whole chapter is named “the banquet” in reference to this miracle, it is mentioned that the disciples asked Jesus if God could bring down a banquet (a very large dining table ) from heaven, they said they wanted to eat from it, comfort their hearts (by actually seeing this great event), re-assure themselves in the truth Jesus came with (this is not because they had doubt just re-assurance like I mentioned), and to be honored by witnessing this great miracle, Jesus then asks God to bring it down so it can be a feast for all of them and a miracle from God. The banquet is then sent down from the heavens before them 5- Telling their secrets; Jesus was able to tell the people what their kept in their home and even what they had for meals 6- Miracle birth; the Quran states that Jesus (peace be upon him was born without a father, Mary gave birth to him after the Angel Gabriel came to her to give her glad tidings about the miracle birth 7- speaking as a baby; the Quran states Jesus spoke as a baby to his Mother Mary to re-assure her after she was terrified of what her people would say and do to her after the birth of Jesus ( it must have been terrifying to have a child and claim to be still a virgin in those times). Jesus also spoke to the people when they started pressuring Mary and questioning her on where she got the baby, Mary, told not to speak, pointed at baby Jesus and as they questioned on how she expects them to talk to him he spoke, clearing his mother from the false accusations, to explain to the people who he was and what he was sent to do. note: I have actually posted this earlier today on another post, I think it was life and faith, but I am really interested to see what will be saud here, I feel the topic is one that needs a lot of research, I feel that in this forum the replies will involve more quoting from the bible itself rather than other books, lectures etc... which is what I need more at tis point in my studying. I also believe in going to the source, so I thought posting here too will increase my chances of etting a more complete idea of these miracles in the bible. I thank you all for reading and I thank those who will help in advance, you have no idea how much any valid information said here will be of help.

Hi brother,

Point 1: and 2: are supported by scripture. www.lifeofchrist.com/life/miracles/

That's all of Jesus' healing miracles.

Point 3: The reference to the clay birds being given life is problematic. It comes from the Gnostic text called The Infancy Gospel of Thomas. It was written in the 6th century whereas the other Gospels were all written in the 1st century. gnosis.org/library/inftoma.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook